ForumsThe TavernCalling all runners!

19 2392
destruction101
destruction101
113 posts
Nomad

I am a cross country runner. I would like to talk to other runners about their races tips and tricks! The more that you contribute the more topics on running will be available to help you in your running career.

Please do not post anything if you are not a runner
Example
"I am not a runner so I do not know what to post"
Donât even bother or I will red flag you because this is just an attempt on getting Armor Points.

Thank You

• 19 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Drink lots of water, but at least an hour before you run, that way it's put to use and isn't dead weight.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I used to run, but sadly don't have a team for it anymore.
My college team is strictly for sport majors, but i ran in high school.
Emperors advice is great.
Always make sure you're well rested, stretch and keep yourself hydrated.

Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

I do track and XC but I'm not hardcore. Or that good.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

Once upon a time i was a 70+ mile a week runner. I was doing 400-500 miles every 6-7 weeks. ...I'd gladly switch over to having shin splints and sore feet again if I could get my shoulder pain to go away.

And with that... every 400-500 miles you need to get a new pair of running shoes. Any more than that and you run the risk of damaging your feet/legs from bad support...b/c you've pretty much destroyed the shoe at that point. I always liked Asics trainers for training and Nike spikes for racing.

I wasn't the best in the world by any means... but I loved the sport.

GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

I run pretty often now preparing for my military service and all.
Try not to eat anything about 2 hours before you run but drink a lot of water. About 20min before you run stop drinking water. Right before you start eat some small sugar like a spoon of honey and remember to go to the bathroom. When you're at you're marks stretch you'reself a little before you start running.
When you're done do some more flexing, remember to drink water and avoid sitting for awhile so you don't stop the blood running down there.
I suggest also doing some pushups and stuff like that right after you're done running, when the mussels are still warm and before you drink and cool off after the run.
I also suggest you always run with a friend so if something happens to one of you the other can help him, also it allows a competition to develop and that's a good thing.
Work you're distance, don't run something you aren't capable of because then you might crack you're legs. It happened to me while working extra hard to get ready for military test. If you feel a sharp pain in the bone stop running immediately. Try running on you're front part of you're feet (don't know the English name for it) in order to avoid shocks hurting you're back. If you really exhaust yourself then don't run everyday, give yourself a day or two to rest if you feel you (or you're bones) can need it. It would also be better if you run on the beach, in the woods or anything else softer then sidewalks.
Try to get better times every time you run and at the very end remember to give all you got.

Almost forgot: Don't take heavy stuff on you when you run, again it can hurt the back and bones.
And don't pure water on you're head to cool off. Better just run when its cool outside like the mornings or nights but whatever you do, don't pure water on you're head. It may make you feel cooler but its just because it touches the head, the rest of the body can still feel the heat and you can easily dehydrate and pass out without notice by confusing you're head by purring water on top of it. People have died from this.

Good luck to every fellow runner.

GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

Btw, I don't run very long distances. The most I go is about 12km so that's about 7-8 miles if I'm correct.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I ran track in 7th/ 8th grade, and I was going to try cross country this year. As far as training, I couldn't make the summer camp (because I had Driver's Ed), but I have been running at night. Why run at night?, you might ask. I just find night time relaxing. It's not as hot as in the daytime, most people are inside (don't have to worry about cars), and everything looks almost completely different at night. I only ran a few times, but I've been running a lot farther and farther. I started out at less than a mile and went up through over two. Also, back to why I run at night, it just feels like I should be running then. Often times, when I couldn't get to sleep, I would feel like I should have been outside doing something. But until I started, I could never figure out what.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I also recommend to never completely straighten your leg unless you're stretching. If you land while hyperextending, you'll damage your joints.

Try running on you're front part of you're feet (don't know the English name for it)

"Balls of your feet"
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
603 posts
Peasant

i just started running, and im a great runner.... but evn i hav my own flaws.... when i ran a 5k the other day, well, i puked... i puked out the apple i ate 2.5 hours earlier... a tip for u, dont eat before u run... if necacary, only eat a slice of bread or something... im gonna join XC next year... and im gonna play in track too!
*************************prievious run scores*****
Alpena 5k run: overall place: 50th out of over 350 ppl: age group: 2nd place time: 24min.27seconds
Gaylord Alpinfest 5k run: overall place: 150th out of over 1300 ppl: age group: 5th : time: 24min 22 seconds
i did a pretty good job eh? tell me wat u think

GamerLynx
GamerLynx
32 posts
Nomad

I ran early in high school, so while I can't contribute much personally, I can give you the advice of our coaches, two professional marathoners.

1. Lots of water before, other people have said this.

2. Don't eat within several hours of running, it won't give an energy boost that you might look for.

3. The night before, eat a large meal with lots of protein, iron, and/or carbs that won't sit heavily in your stomach, such as fish, meat sandwich, or pasta with red sauce.

4. Stretch often. Stay as loose as possible so you don't cramp partway through.

5. When you finish a race, do not sit still, no matter how tired you are. The sudden stopping of blood can make you sick right there. Stretch, do jumping jacks, or even just walk around a little.

6. There are two acceptable running forms. In both, keep your back straight, and move your arms. Either hit the ground with your foot flat, or run only on the balls of your feet. If you run heel-to-toe the way you walk, it will absorb the speed from shock impact and slow you down, will tire you out, and you're more likely to hurt yourself.

7. If you're hurt, don't push through it, accept that your hurt. You might finish one race on an injury, but if you mess it up while straining it, it could be the last race you finish.

8. For males, if you wear a shirt while running, wear something tighter-fitting over your pectorals, or put some tape on it. Sweat drips down, it rubs against your shirt where the salt sticks, and you will bleed. It's supposedly incredibly painful during and after running, and can distract you. (Women wearing sports bras don't have this problem, so it's mainly a guy thing.)

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

@Kingofwar... how old are you first of all? The average good high school runner who has been running for years is usually around 18 minutes for the 5k. Each year you continue to run/train, (if you're training right) you should see a lot of improvement.

Some of the best high school runners are usually in the 15s or even 14s.

GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

Doesn't sound like the average, 18 minutes for high school is good to say the least. The average for people who run sounds more like 19-20.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I haven't ever run seriously, but about 2 years ago when i was 13, i ran a couple of 5k races. I think my time for all the races was about 26 minutes but it was too long ago to remember.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Oh, and chocolate milk is supposed to be the best thing to drink after running or any other work out.

GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

Sorry but not really (as much as its fun to drink it after a work out). After working out you want less sugers, less bread (the name for that type of foods) and more meats and milk (the name of that type of food). Meat is the better option between that and milk and by having milk with meat, the milk takes the vitamins out of the meat. After running I usually eat about half a chicken, a little bit of salad and that's mostly it.

Showing 1-15 of 19