ForumsThe TavernKeeping Your Computer Clean

16 8013
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

Hi,

I recently had a bad round of viruses on my computer (no, I don't go to adult websites). Anyway, I've been on several MMORPG's and some of them offer help to prevent account theft by giving out security companies names and websites. I don't know how common account theft is here (I suspect it's almost nonexistent), but I'll make a thread about computer and account safety.

This is just my experience. Please do not feel inclined to use the programs I used.

So, here's the story. I got hit hard by several Trojans. They shut down two of my web browsers, killed my antivirus software, and were on the verge of making my computer crash. So, I unhooked my internet cord and did some quick research on another computer.

Turns out, Microsoft offers a security program to help fix your computer for free (yeah!!!). So, I downloaded that and "Spy Bot; Search and Destroy" using my last web browser. It took 3 hours, but it was worth it. I also downloaded Rkill to help.

Rkill is a program that shuts down viruses so your normal security system can remove them. It runs like a Trojan, so there were false security alerts when I ran it.

Next, I ran a potent dose of Spy Bot and Microsoft Security Essentials. Those scans came up with the Trojan that created the backdoor on my computer. I am now Trojan free!

So, here's how to NOT get viruses.

1. Don't go to adult content sites. It's just common sense.

2. Third party screen savers are known for giving out viruses. You may like those cute puppies playing on your screen, but you won't like that Trojan.Spy.Banker getting your personal info!

3. Don't open email attachments ending with .exe, .pif, .corn, or .bat. Those are potential viruses that someone sent you!

4. Do not visit shady "freeware" sites. Not only are you potentially doing something illegal, but sites like those are breeding grounds for viruses.

5. Don't give your username and password to other people. Even if it's your friend.

Just to be clear, I am not saying to use these programs (as that would be a violation of the rules). These just worked for my Windows XP.

These are what I use:

Norton Security Suite
IObit Malware Fighter
Microsoft Security Essentials
Spy Bot; Search and Destroy
Rkill

I like these because they are not very RAM intensive and my computer runs fine.

Post away with your stories and how you fixed your computer. Or, if you have a better idea (or security program) just say, "This is what I use (or did) because..."

• 16 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Some programs I use for security:
Avast! Free antivirus
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Spybot
I run those three things along with several other things every Sunday and Wednesday. Those other things being; Glary Utilities, Auslogics Disk Defrag, Defraggler, and CCleaner, but those things don't have to do with the security. Still useful things to use, though.

Then inside my browser I just use WOT (web-of-trust) and Avast! gives a little rating thing next to WOT (web-of-trust). It gives you the rating of the site you are currently on. Right now, Armor Games has a 5/5 on Trustworthiness, Vendor Reliability, Privacy, and Child Safety. Avast! says it's very safe as well.

As for the adult content websites, I recommend having WOT (web-of-trust) on your web browser so you know if it's safe or not. Not all adult content websites give you viruses.

I remember getting a virus about in the beginning of January where my whole screen turned blue, all my programs were useless, I couldn't open anything, and it told me I was going to get stuff stolen from me, such as my personal information. Something popped up saying I had viruses, I clicked to scan, then it gave me a virus. This was when I was pretty much a computer noob. I didn't know that it was a virus, it looked like an antivirus program, but it wasn't.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

I don't really keep up with what my computer uses, security-wise. I'm almost always on the family computer when using a computer because I don't like having laptops in my lap (I heard on manswers that it heats up certain spaces on a man up to five degrees and reduces sperm count by about 33% in as little as five minutes). But I do know that for anti-virus programs, my computers got AVG and Bit Defender. We had avast!, but when we got the new computer, my dad never got it re-installed. But I find AVG and Bit Defender to be easier to use.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If you have it over your stuff, then it will. I usually keep my laptop on my computer desk. AVG is good, my mother has Bit Defender on her laptop, it's a very slow antivirus. You're not supposed to have two antiviruses on your computer because they'll conflict each other, at least, that's what I've read and heard from people.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

What one doesn't find, the other will. They do conflict with eachother, but one will say that the other is a cause of the virus, which sounds down-right ridiculous for an anti-virus program to be a cause of the viruses. AVG is pretty good, and Bit-Defender takes forever to do a quick scan, let alone a full system scan.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

My family network has McAfee, which seems to work well enough.
We used to run Norton, but we had to buy a new disc each year (McAfee auto-updates over the internet). Also, I have a McAfee add-on for Explorer and used to have it for Firefox before it became incompatible.

gbnxc
gbnxc
192 posts
Nomad

I only have microsoft security essentials on my laptop and it works fine. but on all my other computers we have Norton

HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

Also, I have a McAfee add-on for Explorer and used to have it for Firefox before it became incompatible.

Yeah. My Norton toolbar didn't work when Firefox 4 came out. I just updated to Firefox 5 and now it works.

Thanks for the posts.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

The best way to keep your computer clean is too have anti-virus and anti-spyware always on. You should also give monthly scans and should regularly Defragment your computer.

KXIsystem
KXIsystem
106 posts
Nomad

(I heard on manswers that it heats up certain spaces on a man up to five degrees and reduces sperm count by about 33% in as little as five minutes)

Lol wut? That is ridiculous to be frank.

Anyways Ghost of Matrix answered the big question, the use of great free programs such as those are great. I personally use Notron and System Mechanic Pro, both are great and speeds up my computer - heck it even made it last as long as it is.

But the best defense is usually the OS, PC is prone to many viruses for a lot of reasons. If your not using anything Windows only (such as games) or your OS is outdated I recommend switching to Linuz, its a huge step but its the most secure OS out there if your that afraid of viruses. To be frank just an Anti spyware and a fire wall is all you need.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

1.  Don't go to adult content sites.  It's just common sense.

Just go on safe ones.

I usually use no anti-virus programs. Most of the times I only need notepad. But sometimes I do use security, but I'll have to check what I have and it's like nothing.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Norton Security Suite
IObit Malware Fighter
Microsoft Security Essentials

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Norton everything is a virus
IObit Maleware Fighter is an exact replica of Maleware Bytes and Malewarebytes called them on it
Microsoft Security Essentials, no.

Web of Trust, Bitdefender in-browser extension, System Restore Points, all you need.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

Great guide! I were going to make one, but you did it much better!

[quote]Norton everything is a virus
IObit Maleware Fighter is an exact replica of Maleware Bytes and Malewarebytes called them on it
Microsoft Security Essentials, no.

'Nuff said.

BTW, everybody who read this just lost the game.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

Lol wut? That is ridiculous to be frank

Doesthis clear you of your sucspisions?
ilovemoney249
ilovemoney249
813 posts
Nomad

1. Don't go to adult content sites. It's just common sense.

I shall ignore this. But the rest I shall!
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

Norton everything is a virus

You're probably right about Norton (I get it for free with Comcast, so what the heck).

I see that here:

I didn't know that. Guess IObit is getting replaced on my computer, LOLz.

I shall ignore this. But the rest I shall!

I get the feeling that a lot of people are ignoring this.
Showing 1-15 of 16