ForumsThe TavernIs Music infinite?

17 2753
razinskie
razinskie
120 posts
Nomad

Will there be a day when weve heard every song possible, or every tune creatable. I think there are 10 octaves including medium C4.
And 7 basic notes and 5 other inflated notes. In total 12 notes in every octave. So my guess is: there are 120 notes in the range of sound that human ear can hear. so certainly notes arent infinte

• 17 Replies
KXIsystem
KXIsystem
106 posts
Nomad

Will there be a day when weve heard every song possible, or every tune creatable. I think there are 10 octaves including medium C4.
And 7 basic notes and 5 other inflated notes. In total 12 notes in every octave. So my guess is: there are 120 notes in the range of sound that human ear can hear. so certainly notes arent infinte

Indeed but the number of sounds you can create are not, even if sounds are finite there's still ample you can do with it. Say there are 100 instruments, that 120 000 different sounds. Even then there are even more melodies you can create, before you know it there's over a million different song possibilities. Then comes the lyrics if there are any.

My answer, music is finite but as humans I don't think we may ever reach the end.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

People probably asked this question when rock and metal were the mainstream. And then pop and rap came around. There's endless combinations of notes and thousands of different playing styles so for now, I think we're good.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

There're way way way more than that. There're quarter and even 8th tones, and the presence of different key signatures, chords, dynamics, note lengths, tempos, different types of scales on which to base the music and divide the octave(heptatonic, pentatonic, I'm sure there're other silly ways to divide the octave as well), billions of different chord possibilities and chord voicings, ways of using cadence, different timbres and instruments and time signatures and so many different permutations of things that while not infinite, the number of possible compositions is so ridiculously high that we'll most likely never feel any sort of shortage. For non-instrumental songs there are also lyrics that further distinguish things.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

While that may be true in 'Western Music', if you listen to some of the 'Eastern Music', as played on Sitars, for example, they have a lot more notes.

While in the West its just Do-Re-Me, they have dozens of notes inbetween just Do and Re.

Besides, considering that that a peice of music can be several hours long, then the combinations of notes and instruements and vocals are nearly endless.

Music Appreciation. Who knew I'd ever use it?

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

While in the West its just Do-Re-Me, they have dozens of notes inbetween just Do and Re.

We also have quarter tones and eighth tones, it's just that nigh all of Western music is based solely on the named notes and their sharps/flats.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I think there are 10 octaves including medium C4.

Aside from normal instruments, there are now electronic sounds being used for songs.

Obviously there is not an infinite around of arrangements of instruments and notes and sounds for songs, but the number is so inconsivebly high that we will probably never reach it.
Dregus2
Dregus2
492 posts
Blacksmith

There are 120 notes but each song has thousands of notes so the combinations possible is like 120 times 10 to the thousandth power. That would be like a 1 and 5 pages of 0s.

Dregus2
Dregus2
492 posts
Blacksmith

And that's with no lyrics and one instrument. And with these new electronic sounds the number is even greater.

razinskie
razinskie
120 posts
Nomad

Aside from normal instruments, there are now electronic sounds being used for songs. [quote]

never thought of tht, and im no expert, can only play the guitar. just had a random thought and googled it

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

It's infinite if you put the music on loop.

Yeah, I have nothing to say about your conflabbit all parts of music being done.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

music is infinite. as many people said already, there are many instruments, many notes, many octaves, many different types of music and many lengths of songs. also you shouldnt forget that there is always a posibility that a new instrument or a new kind of music will be invented and that would just increase the amount of music. there are also so many kinds of rythms and again humans will keep inventing new instruments, rhythms, styles and everything else connected to music so i think music is infinite.

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

It will not happen. All that songs doesn't sound good.
mvpassio
mvpassio
3 posts
Peasant

yes music is infinite, it can be used in many different ways other then just a relaxation, it can also be used as a language. It is a proven fact that when u are playing an instrument the part of the brain that lights up is the same part that lights up when u talk. There for, music is also a language.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

It's an interesting idea, but maybe people will have cycles (back to the 18th century music :P) and by then it would be really strange and different. In another few hundred years, the music would cycle back to what it is now and so on.

TheSquidNation
TheSquidNation
78 posts
Nomad

i think music is infinite but it doesnt go in cycles. Because im pretty sure they didn't dubstep in the 1800s

Showing 1-15 of 17