ForumsThe TavernIs Music infinite?

17 2751
razinskie
razinskie
120 posts
Nomad

Will there be a day when weve heard every song possible, or every tune creatable. I think there are 10 octaves including medium C4.
And 7 basic notes and 5 other inflated notes. In total 12 notes in every octave. So my guess is: there are 120 notes in the range of sound that human ear can hear. so certainly notes arent infinte

• 17 Replies
bafflepitch
bafflepitch
6 posts
Nomad

I would say music is not infinite to the point that you could plug everything into a computer and get a max number, but it would be so huge you could not comprehend it.

For example, say you are playing 4 notes in one measure and you have 120 possible notes. That would be 120 x 120 x 120 x 120. That would be 207,360,000 possible combinations right there! Just one basic scenario.

Now throw in chords, lyrics, rhythm, tone, etc. It just keeps going and going.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I would say music is not infinite to the point that you could plug everything into a computer and get a max number, but it would be so huge you could not comprehend it.
For example, say you are playing 4 notes in one measure and you have 120 possible notes. That would be 120 x 120 x 120 x 120. That would be 207,360,000 possible combinations right there! Just one basic scenario.

Exactly. There's a few hundred thousand words to choose from in English and since you can use each word as many times as you want (because you can alter the speed electronically to fit them in a single beat or less) that number grows to a few million. Also, you don't need to make it strictly in 1 language. By using every word in every language like that, there are a few billion combinations.
Showing 16-17 of 17