ForumsThe TavernThe I-Pad. What's so Great About it?

29 3258
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

I'm going to buy either a Laptop or an I-pad. But, I don't know much about the I-Pad.

What's so great about it? I got to see one my uncle had, and it didn't look very impressive. The touch screen sometimes didn't work, which led to him buying a keyboard for it.

Since it's run by Apple, does that mean I'll be forced into using the slowest web browser (Safari)? I know you can have your I-Tunes on it, but you can have those on a computer.

As for the Laptop, anyone have any preferences? I really don't want a Mac (because the game disks for those are more expensive).

Thanks

• 29 Replies
crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

yes, you will eventually be forced to buy a keyboard for it.
Yes you will be forced to use safari.
I have a preference, being a microsoft person. Games are cheaper for it, there's more attachments, and it's alot simpler for the average user.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I've seen Macs that have FireFox (from the MacAuthority store in the mall I go to). So I don't think internet will be a problem if you get an ipad.

As for laptops, my families got an HP that I'll occasionally use, but I suggest getting a mouse since touchpads aren't exactly useful or helpful.

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

I'd get a laptop. iPads don't have Flash, so they can't play games (though I'm assuming that's not your main priority. And yes, they do use Safari.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

You can download a google app for free pretty easily. Also if your touchscreen isnt working call apple. iPad is more for business people at work so if you want something for fun get a laptop instead.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

I'm posting this comment from my IPad2, and It's screen is very responsive. Marvalous apps such as Xplanes9 or Infinity Blade are beautiful on this screen. Callender, notes for a forgetfull person like me and apps straight from AppStore. Flash does not work, but it is slightly more portable than laptop. Connect it with your phone service provider for mor Wi-fi.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

The laptop and the iPad are NOT comparable technologies. A laptop serves way more purposes than a tablet, and is much more handy for work, while an iPad is more of a 'lay' device. You need to evaluate your needs, not find out what's great about the iPad.

Valks
Valks
262 posts
Nomad

It's expensive. Therefore you recieve bragging rights to talk about how rich you are.

HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

Well, since I have both games and college in mind, I'll take the laptop. Thanks for all the responses!

KXIsystem
KXIsystem
106 posts
Nomad

Well, since I have both games and college in mind, I'll take the laptop. Thanks for all the responses!

Make sure you pick the right one! For college I recommend 4gb ram and an i3 core with Microsoft Office.
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

For college I recommend 4gb ram and an i3 core with Microsoft Office.

LOL, I couldn't settle for anything less than that. The PC i'm on right now only has 1GB of RAM (shows how old it is). Anyway, yeah, it needs to have Microsoft Office too.
cbreezy623
cbreezy623
59 posts
Nomad

I have an iPad and it is great. I am currently using an hp computer, but i really want an iMac for my next computer.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

IPad =/= laptop.

If you want a laptop, you don't want to get an IPad, they're not the same thing. IPad is like a larger, more powerful, better looking IPod, but it is terrible for taking notes, browsing the web (in comparison to a laptop), and pretty much everything else not music related.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

If you use an iPad for music you are doing it wrong. iPad is actually very versatile with all the apps available for it.

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

Its basically a touch screen laptop with a few extras here and there

KXIsystem
KXIsystem
106 posts
Nomad

LOL, I couldn't settle for anything less than that. The PC i'm on right now only has 1GB of RAM (shows how old it is). Anyway, yeah, it needs to have Microsoft Office too.

The amount of RAM does not determine the age, heck years ago having a 1gb hard drive is the same as having a 1tb today. But still that rig must be old :/

If you want a serious gaming laptop check out Alienware, overkill for flash games but pretty good for anything else.
Showing 1-15 of 29