ForumsThe TavernNeed help with my laptop

21 3093
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

My started shutting down randomly earlier today, and it says I should change my battery. What I need help with is what other kind of batteries can my laptop take? Here's my laptop. And here's what I got when I searched the battery on Amazon. I don't want to get the same battery for this laptop because it's a terrible battery.

If you let it shut down on its own, it drains the battery by a lot. I know that letting a laptop shut down on its own isn't good for the battery, however, whenever my laptop would shut down it was because I wasn't paying attention to the battery on the bottom right. I suppose it shutting down a few times for the past year has made the current battery terrible.

So I'm wondering if my laptop can take any other batteries. If so, will you show me a battery on Amazon that's below one hundred dollars and has a long battery life? That's what I'm looking for in a new battery. I don't have much money for batteries above one hundred dollars, and I'd like a battery that can last a while.

• 21 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

My laptop*

I forgot to put "laptop" after "My".

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

As far as I have heard, laptops can only take a battery made for their brand/model. I suppose you could get a battery that is made as an alternative for your laptop, but other than that, you have to get the same battery type.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

If you've got a way to do it, this might work. If not, a soldering iron will cost about $20 but can be as cheap as $5, and the solder itself can be quite pricy, but since you don't need a lot of it, it could be as low as $1. The good part is you can put in a better model of batteries yourself.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

First thing to try is to take out your battery, dust it off, and put it back in.

When you unplug your laptop, does it die in a few minutes? If this is the case, you do need a new battery. Each battery can only be charged a certain amount of times, and the more times you charge it, the less charge it holds until it can't hold more then a few seconds. This usually doesn't happen for a few years.

Another thing is, is it random? Or does it stay on for a certain amount of time each time you turn it on (this also means you need a new battery).

Where do you keep your laptop? If you are keeping it on a couch or another object that would not allow the heat to escape? If so, it may be your laptop it overheating and shuts down so that you don't damedge the hardware. Try waiting for it to cool down completely and use it in another location.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

First thing to try is to take out your battery, dust it off, and put it back in.

I'll try that later when I don't have much things to do online. I'll do it about an hour before I run several programs for my computer that I run every Sunday and Wednesday.
When you unplug your laptop, does it die in a few minutes?

On power saver it lasts about an hour. On balanced it lasts about half an hour. I only put it on balanced when I'm playing Exit Path, which is not very often. It's normally on power saver.
Each battery can only be charged a certain amount of times, and the more times you charge it, the less charge it holds until it can't hold more then a few seconds.

I only plug it in when it only has about ten-twenty minutes of battery life left, then I unplug it once it gets to 100%, then repeat the process. Sometimes, though, I forget to plug it in and it shuts off on its own. Some people have told me that causes the battery to die quickly.
Another thing is, is it random?

Well this morning it was random, it just randomly shut off when it had about half an hour left.
Where do you keep your laptop?

On my computer desk. There's a lot of free space around the laptop, so the heat is escaping.

Dan, do you know what kind of batteries my laptop can use? I'll probably be purchasing one in about a week or two, but first I need to know what kind of batteries it can take. As said before, it has to be below one hundred dollars because I'm on a budget. If you can show me a few of them available on Amazon, I'd appreciate it.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Dan, do you know what kind of batteries my laptop can use? I'll probably be purchasing one in about a week or two, but first I need to know what kind of batteries it can take. As said before, it has to be below one hundred dollars because I'm on a budget. If you can show me a few of them available on Amazon, I'd appreciate it.

Child please, my name isn't Dan here. Here you can find all pieces compatible with you computer.

Also, I'm not sure if any program like this is available for PC, but this program shows what percent of it's original power it can still store and how many charge cycles you have gone through.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I see a battery for $99.99. I'll see if I can get that one.

Not sure, I'll have to search for something like that later.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Just make sure you tried the other solutions i suggested so that you don't buy a battery for no reason, and search around for cheaper prices for that battery (just don't buy a used one).

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Batteries shouldn't be too too expensive (a replacement/ back-up 9 cell for my Dell is $50-60), but then again, it depends on the brand :P

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

Here's my laptop.

Why not submitting it as an Image?

Here is it.
http://us.toshiba.com/images/showcase/products/satellite-l505d-gs6000-laptop.png
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Why not submitting it as an Image?

Because an image doesn't show it's specs, name, or anything actually relevant to his problem.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It's a toshiba. You've practically doomed yourself right from the start.

It's a good brand. It's just I ****ed it up when I don't pay attention to the battery.

I tried those other things, Dan. Cleaned the battery and other stuff, didn't do anything to improve it.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I tried those other things, Dan. Cleaned the battery and other stuff, didn't do anything to improve it.

Just a friendly suggestion to anyone out there reading this, don't clean a computer with a vacuum. It creates static electricity which can damage the hardware, use a towel or cloth.

And one last suggestion to Matey (my nickname for Matrix), it may be a problem with your fan. Your computer may be heating up, and your fan could be faulty and not turn on to cool it down. When your computer shuts off, is it extremely hot?

Also, there is probably a way to access a log on your computer that it takes before shutting off. On my mac, whenever i get a kernel panic (they come and go), it quickly logs why it was forced to shut down. When you turn your computer again, it shows you that log and asks if you want to send a copy to apple. I'm not sure what it's called on PC, but the console application on mac seems to show a log of everything your computer has done.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

When your computer shuts off, is it extremely hot?

No, the fan works fine. However, there may be dust in there since I haven't cleaned the fan since I got this laptop. I'll have to get a compressed air can.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

No, the fan works fine.

Well then I'm out of suggestion. Good day sir, enjoy your "world".
Showing 1-15 of 21