ForumsThe TavernQB in the NFL

33 7316
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Tom Brady, or "Tom Terrific" is 1st. He's been in a playoff slump, but he's still been great in the reg. season, is coming off his 2nd MVP and 2nd best career year despite multiple injuries EVERYWHERE on the team and a bad defense during the 1st 11 games of the season.

I give 2nd to Peyton Manning(why doesn't he get a nickname?). Though he had a bad 3 game slump last year, and the Colts didn't win 12 or more games for the 1st time in forever, he still had a great season even with all the injuries the Colts had, even if his TD% and QB rating was a bit lower than his career avg's.

3rd goes to Aaron Rodgers. I know what some fo you may be thinking, "Why isn't Brees in this spot" right? Well Rodgers has shown he can have just as great stats as any QB, plus he's the SB winning QB. Sure he has a ton weapons around him, but this guy is dynamite.

4th is Drew Brees, with his great stats despite little help from teammates on the offensive side(only 4 players on the offensive side of the ball made the Pro-Bowl on all teams he's played on, and 3 of those 4 are O-linemen), he's proven he can win, and produce offensively. Of course, he could easily move down behind my number 5 QB if he keeps throwing Ints like he did last year.

5th goes to Michael Vick. Sure he only has 1 year of starting experience since his return, but he was an MVP candidate(even if he didn't even get 1 1st place vote for it), he has shown he can make plays not only running, but in the pocket as well, something we didn't see much of back in Atlanta.

6th goes to Ben Roethlisberger, or "Big ben". Sure you guys may not agree, but this guy has a career QB rating of 92.5. That's only 2.7 pts lower than Brady, 1.9 pts lower than Manning's, and is actually even better than Brees career QB Rating. This guy, in my opinion, doesn't get enough credit just for the fact that he's on the steelers.

7th goes to Philip Rivers. I know, he really hasn't done a thing the playoffs, but his career averages are astounding, and he's been a Pro-Bowler in 3 of 5 seasons as a starter.
Then add that he has the highest career QB Rating of ANY QB in NFL History, has 3 straight seasons with a QB Rating of 100 or better9Only Peyton Manning has also done that), Rivers is on my list.

As for those foyou who are screaming "Where's Matt Schaub" or "Where's Tony Romo" or "Where's Matt Ryan" or any other QB, before I even consider them or if they wanna move up, they have to show me not just regular season greatness(that means you Romo and Rivers), they also have to show me some great playoff performances as well.

Lastly, because I KNOW someone is gonna say this, as for Eli Manning, let's face it, he's just not that great. Sure he's a SB Champ, and he's been pretty good since 08, but he's thrown 49 Ints in that span, and really hasn't won anything since then. Then throw in the fact that he's gone to 1 Pro-Bowl in 7 years, he just does not crack my list.

• 33 Replies
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Well Sam Bradford also had the advantage of a great RB, and a great WR for the beginning too. But he should take another step forward this season.

Expect around 3750 Yds, 20 TDs, 12 Ints, and a 85 QB Rating since his number 1 WR will actually be with him the full season now.

Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Alright, I'm gonna be looking at a couple of young QBs today to determine which is better. I will do 3 categories to determine the winner of this match-up.

First category is Career Stats.
Second category is Playoff success.
Third category is Comeback Ability.

Best of 3 wins.

Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons(8th on my list), and Joe Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens(13th on my list) are the 2 QBs I have decided to compare.

Both have started all the games since they entered the league in 08 when they were healthy enough to go(Ryan missed 2 games in 09 due to injuries), and both did very well last season (Ryan had a 91 QB Rating, Flacco had a 93.3)

Both these 2 played exceptionally well in their 1st 2 seasons, but they both took a big leap forward last year.

Now onto the comparisons.

Career statistics:

Matt Ryan: 10,061 Yds, 6.9 YPA, 60.8 comp%, 885 Completions, 1,456 Attempts, 66 TDs, 4.5 TD%, 34 Ints, 2.3 Int%, 86.9 QB Rating, 1 Pro-Bowl

Joe Flacco: 10,206 Yds, 7.2 YPA, 62 comp%, 878 Completions, 1416 Attempts, 60 TDs, 4.2 TD%, 34 Ints, 2.4 Int%, 87.9 QB Rating, 0 Pro-Bowls

Verdict: Very close, but I give the edge slightly to Matt Ryan here.
Flacco has the higher QB Rating, comp%, and YPA, but Ryan has the lower Int% and higher TD%. Their stats are amazingly similar, but the fact that Ryan has a Pro-Bowl but Flacco doesn't gave the edge to Ryan.

Playoff Success:

Matt Ryan has been to the playoffs twice in 3 seasons. No small feat when the Sants were in your Division in 2010. However, he is 0-2 in 2 career Playoff Games.

Meanwhile, Joe Flacco has gone to the playoffs all 3 seasons of his career, and when you factor in that your playing in the same Division as the Steelers, plus he's 4-3 in 7 Playoff games, Flacco wins this category by a landslide right?

Wrong.

Ryan has a 71.2 QB Rating, 66.7 comp%, 3 TDs, 4 Ints, and has a 5.58 YPA in the Playoffs.

Flacco has a 61.6 QB Rating, 53.3 comp%, 4 TDs, 7 Ints, and has a 5.71 YPA in the Playoffs.

The only Playoff Game Flacco played well in was last season against the Kansas City Chiefs where he threw for 265 Yds, 2 TDs, no Ints, and a 115.4 QB Rating. In all the other 6 games Flacco has never gone past an 89.4 QB Rating, and in 5 of his 7 Playoff games, his QB Rating was 61.1 or worse.

Verdict: Flacco wins this category.

Though Flacco has really only earned 1 of his 4 Playoff wins, 1 win is still more than none.

Comeback Ability:

Last year, Ryan came back in the 4th Quarter 5 times, and had 6 Game Winning Drives, earning him the nickname "Matty Ice". He's also had 8 4th Qtr Comebacks in his career, as well as 13 Game Winning Drives.

Flacco meanwhile, had 2 4th Qtr Comeback Wins last season, and 4 Game Winning Drives. He's had 4 4th Qtr Comebacks in his career, and 8 Game Winning Drives.

Verdict: Matt Ryan
And it wasn't even close. He's had more 4th Qtr Comebacks and Game Winning Drives in all 3 of their seasons.

Overall Verdict: Matt Ryan

Their stats are very comparable, and neither has really had a ton of success in the playoffs. But Ryan seperated himself from Flacco with his comeback ability. Therefore, this QB Match-Up goes to Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons.

Showing 31-32 of 33