ForumsThe Tavern[ans]why is football called soccer and american football called football?

18 3142
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

everytime i see a comment about football i see they write soccer why there are 2 meaning to the name football you play with your feet and its a ball but when they call american football football it dosent make sense becuase its an oval and they play with there hand i just want to know why they call football soccer

no stupid comment about how american football is great and football is crap and no comment about football being the girls/gay sport

• 18 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Because Americans, that's why.
Which is also why I call it tackleball. It's apparently what is being done, so it is a more fitting title for a game like that.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i have no idea. i think its called football (translated of course) in every other language. i always forget about the word "soccer" and it kind of bugs me XD never understood the logic in that XP

ClockworkAmelia
ClockworkAmelia
54 posts
Farmer

We're stupid? I don't know. I'd probably flip around my terminology if it didn't cause all kinds of confusion. It's quite silly.

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

i didnt say your stupid just no stupid comments

ClockworkAmelia
ClockworkAmelia
54 posts
Farmer

I meant "We're stupid" as a response to your inquiry.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Well, in Spanish-speaking countries, they call it futbol (only they have an accent). In English-speaking countries, Futbol translates to soccer... why? I'm not sure, probably so that it didn't sound like football.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

I used to think soccer was just a word Americans made up because they love to be different, but then I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Association football.

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association".

So the term soccer was an abbreviation that originally came from England, and not America.
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

Well, an NFL football is just about 1 foot long. (11.25 inches to be exact)

Which is also why I call it tackleball. It's apparently what is being done, so it is a more fitting title for a game like that.

I myself play football and feet are barely used in the sport. Only Punts, Kickoffs, and Field Goals

I hope all of those links work.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

The United States is just independent and stubborn. So what if the rest of the world calls it football? We already have football! And even if our version stinks, who cares?!?!

And that's my view of it.

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

i just dont like how they say... oh look football il call it my sport and well call the soccer

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

I think that people should stop complaining that we Americans "stole the name" of the sport. Who cares if they're both called football. In other parts of the world, all you have to do to correct that problem is put the word "American" before it. It also is the better sport... In my opinion.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Americans changed many things to their own personal desires. I just hate American Football, but to my opinion Soccer/Futbol is a lot more aggressive and harder. Football is just kind of stupid...And yes I'am a Soccer/Futbol player if you were wondering?

KXIsystem
KXIsystem
106 posts
Nomad

Ah me confused at sport play you!

Just to make everyone lives easier can we say Football and American Football if Soccer is so hard to say?

On topic, personally its an American thing. Being a Canadian its hard explaining the world to Americans over the internet, I mean the rest of the world uses the Metric system and knows that Canadians don't ride polar bears and get 50 feet of snow each winter. Also they know that the British don't drink tea like water and don't worship the queen. Also they know that Australasian's don't ride in Kangaroos and add "mate" at the end of their sentences. Or that all Asian people look and talk Chinese, so many stereotypes from America its unbelievable.

"But KXI, those are generic!"
Tell that to the thousands of people on the net that believe them.

mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

Americans changed many things to their own personal desires. I just hate American Football, but to my opinion Soccer/Futbol is a lot more aggressive and harder. Football is just kind of stupid...And yes I'am a Soccer/Futbol player if you were wondering?

Woah. I play Football and I can tell you it is WAY more aggressive that soccer futbol. Imagine having 3 or 4 seconds to throw a perfectly placed pass 20 yards downfield like threading a needle. Life is tough for a quarterback, along with every other player on the field. Even the kicker. Kickers are under so much pressure to make kicks sometimes. They can be the difference in thrilling victory or AGONIZING defeat. 2004 Divisional. Jets-Steelers. That was our year but our kicker screwed us TWICE. Jets outplayed the steelers most of the game but the kicker bites us in the ***.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i always thought football (where you tackle :3) is more aggresive. in hebrew we call soccer football (translated of course) and football (where you tackle :3) fotball. might be weird but thats much more easy to understand in my opinion. also, what is the difference between football (where you tackle :3) and rugby?

Showing 1-15 of 18