ForumsThe Tavern[ans]why is football called soccer and american football called football?

18 3143
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

everytime i see a comment about football i see they write soccer why there are 2 meaning to the name football you play with your feet and its a ball but when they call american football football it dosent make sense becuase its an oval and they play with there hand i just want to know why they call football soccer

no stupid comment about how american football is great and football is crap and no comment about football being the girls/gay sport

• 18 Replies
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

but to my opinion Soccer/Futbol is a lot more aggressive and harder.

I highly disagree. In American football, there are major injuries. Some players have gotten paralyzed. Broke their bones and well of course there are minor injuries too but anything can happen.
I think that people should stop complaining that we Americans "stole the name" of the sport. Who cares if they're both called football. In other parts of the world, all you have to do to correct that problem is put the word "American" before it. It also is the better sport... In my opinion.

Agreed and if you don't like how Americans took it, then just play or watch soccer and ignore American football.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I'm annoyed by these "Americans stole X" threadas. iMogwai is right folks.

Association football.

I suppose it's called football in other areas because it was the dominant form of football adopted there. Rugby and gridiron (another name for American football) are only really dominant in some areas.

Speaking of rugby, rugby football is just rugby nowadays.

I play Football and I can tell you it is WAY more aggressive that soccer futbol. Imagine having 3 or 4 seconds to throw a perfectly placed pass 20 yards downfield like threading a needle. Life is tough for a quarterback, along with every other player on the field. Even the kicker. Kickers are under so much pressure to make kicks sometimes. They can be the difference in thrilling victory or AGONIZING defeat. 2004 Divisional. Jets-Steelers. That was our year but our kicker screwed us TWICE. Jets outplayed the steelers most of the game but the kicker bites us in the ***.

I'd offer a rebuttal in defence of the beautiful game, but I'm too lazy.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I'd offer a rebuttal in defence of the beautiful game, but I'm too lazy.

How about the rebuttal of "it's not relevant to the topic at hand, ergo doesn't help his argument"? :P
Showing 16-18 of 18