ForumsWEPREarthquake on East Coast???

30 6123
Dregus2
Dregus2
492 posts
Blacksmith

Reports have come in today of 5.9 earthquake in Virginia. I live in North Carolina and I could feel it here. What's more astounding is that Virginia is in the middle of a tectonic plate. The word really is ending!

• 30 Replies
Dregus2
Dregus2
492 posts
Blacksmith

Well this sucks, I just saw another forum about this. Oh well, he got the location wrong anyways.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

My aunt and grandma felt some shakes in a state that's not virgina too. I didn't feel anything though. I'm wondering wheather I should be relived or dissapointed.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Here's a Plate Map.

Here's Virginia Quakes.

Here's This Quake.

What's more astounding is that Virginia is in the middle of a tectonic plate.

That is quite odd, but there's apparently a fault line thru there.
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

I felt shaking from New York. Coolist thing i've seen or felt in a while. At first I thought I was having a spaz attack but then I saw the water in my glass move and my couch shook. IT WAS AWSOME . We never get earthquakes and that was cool. It only lasted about 15 seconds, I wish it were longer.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I felt slight tremors here in NY, but not much. This was my first earthquake that was even slightly local though

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

"The world really is ending!" Bull****. I can't even take you seriously anymore.

AKidNamedGod
AKidNamedGod
6 posts
Peasant

I feel left out, everybody in my house felt the earthquake but i guess i was too into in the tv to notice the house shaking :/

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

I feel left out, everybody in my house felt the earthquake but i guess i was too into in the tv to notice the house shaking :/

so it was not that big of a deal then...
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

Yeah I was driving and had no red lights, anddidn't feel it. Also the people doing the floorboards on the first floor of my house didn't feel it...
I'm actually kinda pissed I wanted to experience it. I do know that the higher floor your on the more you woulda felt it, but I still kinda wanted to notice it.

It wasn't too bad, it must have been a bad day for store managers picking up all the crap that fell off of the shelves

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I do know that the higher floor your on the more you woulda felt it, but I still kinda wanted to notice it.

From the distance you were from the epicenter, I think if you were really close to the ground you would've felt a bit the shaking like standing on a weak massage chair. That intensity is weakened as the forces travel thru a building. The higher up you are in a building, the less you'll feel it (possible swaying if you're really high up, but you won't feel much of the shaking). If you were driving, your tires and shock absorbers would've taken most of the forces, so I doubt it would feel any different from the normal movement of the vehicle.

so it was not that big of a deal then...

It depends on where you were relative to the epicenter. Some places were hit very hard, others didn't feel a thing.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

are we getting closer to the continental plate?

No. The east coast is in the middle of the plate. There's a narrow fault line that runs up the east coast.
IfYouInsist
IfYouInsist
259 posts
Nomad

I live in South Carolina but I didn't feel anything when it happened but other people that live near me said they did.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

It depends on where you were relative to the epicenter. Some places were hit very hard, others didn't feel a thing.

0 death, 0 injuries = no big deal.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

On the other hand it is still the first earthquake of that magnitude on the east coast in over a century.

I live in central Virginia, it lasted all of twenty seconds, it was over by the time I managed to get out of my house.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

0 death, 0 injuries = no big deal.

$100,000,000 worth of damage, many injuries reported but no deaths. It could've been much worse. There's a nuclear plant 10 miles (16km) from the epicenter of the quake.

here
Showing 1-15 of 30