ForumsPopular MediaWestern films

19 5334
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Do you like them? Personnally, I love them! My favorite genre is western "spaghetti" (italian).

Favorite director: Sergio Leone
Favorite actor: Clint Eastwood (for his attitude and his humor)
Favorite music: "The Good, the bad and the ugly"
Favorite film: "For a few dollars more"

As I've done, you can make a list.

• 19 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I was gonna say the same thing you did lol. Except for favorite music, I'd pick the music from the duel in FaFDM ( Sixty Seconds to What). Ennio Morricone made the most epic music.

Favorite director: Sergio Leone
Favorite actor: Clint Eastwood (for his use of action instead of words, he made them cut out like half of his lines because the best action characters are Laconic)
Favorite music: "Sixty Seconds to What"
Favorite film: "For a few dollars more"

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Dang it! I just listened to The Ecstasy of Gold and could barely handle the epicness, so I'll change my selection for favorite music to that.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

The Ecstazy of Gold is the best yes. It's at the moent when The Bad is going to be hung by the Good. But this one shoot the rope and break it, letting The Bad in desert with loads of gold. I love this moment.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'm not a western movie fan except for the ones directed by Sergio Leone with Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef as actors, and the music by Ennio Morricone of course. I don't like the typical American westerns with John Wayne, conservatives and rednecks type, etc.

The Titles I remember are The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (no.1), a Fistfull of Dollar (not sure of the title), Once Upon a Time in the West, and all the ones with Clint Eastwood as I mentioned previously.

I have many soundtracks by Ennio Morricone including the ones with Jean Paul Belmondo (almost all of them).

I use to play the Once Upon a Time in the West music score before going to sleep. It was my favorite soundtrack until Star Wars.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

@SSTG

I totally agree. I don't like the run-of-the-mill westerns either (bad guy in black comes to town, robs a bank, challenges sheriff who wears white, sheriff wins, town cheers, credits roll). I love the fact that Leone was basically making a comedy/parody of those and his films became the standard for what a western should be: a gritty lawless masterpiece where each character isn't defined by what they wear, but by their actions.

I really like the tense, emotional music from OUaTitW, especially the harmonica. Also the fact that Henry Fonda was the bad guy. That was a perfect choice for the role. He was able to convincingly play a very evil guy, considering that he's usually the hero.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Yes Henry Fonda was good at playing a bad guy since most of his other roles were of good or innocent guy. The electric guitar from the dual sequence in OUATITW is my favorite part. I don't have anything against John Wayne BTW, he was great in the movie, I forgot the title, about a retired boxer (he killed someone in the ring) who goes to Ireland to inherit a house and find a girl he likes, marries her but has to fight her brother to get her money back.
That was a good movie. I'll probably remember the title once I send the message.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I new I would remember. I was heading for the IMDB.com when I remembered the title. It's The Quiet Man.
BTW, do western cartoons count? I like the Lucky Luke series. I read all the books and watch quite a few on TV. I like the one where they have Jack Palance playing a bad guy. The title in french is Phil Le Faucheux, or something like that.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I don't like the typical American westerns with John Wayne, conservatives and rednecks type, etc.

Totally agree. Old American westerns doesn't include loads of action and battles.

And about Henry Fonda, I like when he does the bad guy in OUATITW. He's good in the good guy too, for example in My Name is Nobody.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Oh yeah I forgot about this movie. I like it too.

metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

Not really into Westerns myself, but I did watch the remake of True Grit - thought it was pretty good.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Tonight, I'm going to watch Once Upon a Time in the West. I'll comment it tomorrow!

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

This is one of my favorite duels. Is there a better plot summation in any other movie in so few words?

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

The film was awesome. The final duel is superb. The story is sad, but really good.

silverarmor
silverarmor
8 posts
Nomad

I am a fan of western movies and recently i saw True Grit and the movie was awesome. I have not seen the original so cant tel which 1 was better

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

This is one of my favorite duels. Is there a better plot summation in any other movie in so few words?

Yes that's the scene I was referring to. The electric guitar makes the atmosphere and tension feel heavy. I also like to listen to it using my headphone in bed with my eyes closed!
Showing 1-15 of 19