ForumsThe TavernThat "Wait a minute!" moment

18 2718
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

The "Wait a minute!" moment is when you finally figure out when your parents had lied to you about something and you were at first too young to realise but then you said "Wait a minute!"

A few of mine:

The ice cream man plays music when he's run out of ice-cream (Finally figured out after we bought ice-cream one day)

Cars don't start unless the seat-belts are on. (Never found out till I was 8 and he said he never but his on)

Soft drinks were originally designed as poison for rats and if you drink more than two cans you could die (I was 7 and my parents said they had a rat problem. I replied "Why don't we give them lemonade?" and they finally told me the truth.

Have you ever had the "Wait a minute!"? Explain. Or tell someone's you've heard.

• 18 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

If ur bad Santa will give u cole for chrismas
That's all I got right now, I don't remember much more

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

You should probably add the word SPOILERS to the title.

Anyway, I've never really had one of those moments. My parents didn't lie about stuff. Instead they'd explain it (like instead of saying soda was rat poison, they'd explain that soda contains a lot of sugar and too much sugar is harmful to you and why). It's actually much easier than trying to rationalize everything with lies because, for most parents, when they can't explain things with lies anymore, it's much harder for them to change their story to the truth and admit they lied. Also it's less likely for the child to believe/trust them later in life.

Santa, for example, only existed as a story so we'd know what the heck the other kids were talking about. Sure, there would still be gift-givings, but it's much more meaningful if it comes from a person you know instead of from the guy on the Coke bottle.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Pete and Re-Pete fell in a hole.

Wait....
aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

cameras dont work unless u say cheese i found out by playing with a camera

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Lol wow I remember my parents told me that if I go to sleep with my socks on my brain will get smaller. So I never have worn socks to sleep on purpose ever since they told me!

mrTrippy
mrTrippy
517 posts
Nomad

Hmm. Well my parents told me about Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, ect. but, they told me they were just stories. The only time I could think of one of those moments would be "That the T.V. remote only worked for grown ups"(found that was a lie when I stepped on it one day).

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Lol wow I remember my parents told me that if I go to sleep with my socks on my brain will get smaller. So I never have worn socks to sleep on purpose ever since they told me!

My brother told me if i wore socks to bed, the devil would dance around my feet. It really scared me for some reason.

The old "watching too much tv will give you square eyes."
Drunkun
Drunkun
59 posts
Nomad

The ice cream man plays music when he's run out of ice-cream (Finally figured out after we bought ice-cream one day)

That was my one....

I only have one.
Santa wasn't real. I found that out when my mum said that I got my Santa-delivered trampoline (I wonder how he would fit it in his sack.) o_o

Anyway, as I was saying, my mum was talking to her friend when I heard her say this. "I got the trampoline for his birthday." Worst day of my childhood life.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

My mom would tell me those fake stories, but if it was my dad he would tell me the truth. I remember beliving in the tooth fairy, but then the dream was crushed when I never got money. I also remember getting 20 dollars. I put it under my pillow so it would be safe. When I woke up the 20 dollars were gone and I somehow had a new set of clothes.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I believed in Sinterklaas (some kind of Santa Claus but he is from Spain, and had a boat) but 6 years ago my friend convinced me he wasnt real.

Or my dad told me that there were midget fairy's in the tv. I believed it until we bought a really flat tv and he told he lied.

Or my 1st girlfriend told me that if you would French Kiss you must merry. Glad my new girlfriend told me that is Was a lie.

I'm a moron.

vontje
vontje
866 posts
Nomad

Haha just like xNightwish i believed in Sinterklaas. My sister had found out he was a fake and that it was my mother who brought the presents. I didn't know it but she told me, lol. I cried:P

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

I also remember getting 20 dollars. I put it under my pillow so it would be safe. When I woke up the 20 dollars were gone and I somehow had a new set of clothes.

Sounds like your mother had a problem with lying and stealing. You should have confronted her and demanded your money be returned and that she tell the truth.
ferfer313
ferfer313
260 posts
Nomad

When my cat told me he was out of food. (I understand cat for some weird reason.) I walk to his bowl and i see it has plenty of food. He then hopped up to his food almost as if he was mocking me.

lostmanfound
lostmanfound
124 posts
Nomad

When I was small my brother told me "No matter how fast you run the automatic doors will open". I found out that he wasnt completly truthful a few minutes later...

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

well santa, tooth fairy, and easter bunny for starters.

We had this one alien mask that i thought was really freaky. and i thought it actually belonged to an alien. I didn't want it in the house so my mom said she sent it to NASA to send it up with the next space shuttle. Never happened...

Showing 1-15 of 18