ForumsThe TavernScams

34 4027
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Ever been scammed? Know someone who has? Want to warn others about scams? Post here.

• 34 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

There's currently one going on in my area. People are calling others claiming to be either police or highway patroll and giving warnings about unpaid fines. They say to basically give your credit card number or go to jail. The real police are informing the public that they would never ask for money like that.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Yes, my cell phone rang and it was a number that you would associate with a business, like a 0845 number or whatever, claimed to be my phone company (when i had a contract phone) and asked for my bank details to sort out something that was unpaid.
Luckily five minutes later my friend told me it was a scam and they had stolen money for her and i was able to call the bank to change a few things.

Jblaze101
Jblaze101
512 posts
Peasant

Wow more questionable issues just coming up everywhere. I just reported another questionable issues I just explained that seems to keep happening here.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I think this thread is a little bit different to "Is there an ipad scam on armorgames." This is something that has actually happened, not something being queried.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

No I try to avoid this. If a completely random phone number comes up I normally just let it take a message. I never look at the adds and stuff on CPU either.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I've gotten plenty of emails from people asking me for money to help me get rich. Since nobody in real life knows my email, I know that any email sent to me by a specific person is a scam.

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

We have one in my local area. Some guy is calling around claiming that you have some sort of criminal record. And that if you don't give him your social security number and stuff so they can settle it in court you will go to jail. We looked it up on the Internet and found a script that matched exactly what they guy says to you.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

We have one in my local area. Some guy is calling around claiming that you have some sort of criminal record. And that if you don't give him your social security number and stuff so they can settle it in court you will go to jail. We looked it up on the Internet and found a script that matched exactly what they guy says to you.

That's super scary. I wonder how scammers get our phone numbers?
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

I assume the same way telemarketers do. Anyhow, it was my mom they kept calling about. Then, my dad got tired of them calling and called back. The guy he talked to was so stupid. He asked my dad for our phone number, well he called doesn't he already have our number? My dad pointed it out and the guy hung up. My dad called back two more times and cussed the guy out and stuff. I wonder why they haven't called back.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I assume the same way telemarketers do

I don't even know how they do that >.>
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

Well, I know that when you sign up for "free" things the companies sell your phone number. Also, they work off of lists with phone numbers with the same area code, just like a phone book. Plus, people, not everyone, give out info over the Internet where it is easily tracked.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Well, I know that when you sign up for "free" things the companies sell your phone number. Also, they work off of lists with phone numbers with the same area code, just like a phone book. Plus, people, not everyone, give out info over the Internet where it is easily tracked.

Ah, fair enough. I always wonder how our house phone number gets thrown around, considering my mother can't turn on a computer and me and my brother give out our cell phone numbers.
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

I guess it all depends on where you live too. I mean our town is fairly small and we don't have that many scams here. But, get to the bigger cities and there will be more. Also, if you call into one of the 800 numbers they have caller id.

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

If you put your number ANYWHERE companies can sell your number for money.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I think that phones should have a scam detector and tracer and that the should be able to close the company.

Showing 1-15 of 34