ForumsThe TavernScams

34 4026
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Ever been scammed? Know someone who has? Want to warn others about scams? Post here.

• 34 Replies
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

If you put your number ANYWHERE companies can sell your number for money.

Oooh that seems "fun!" Haha joking.
Well my friend got an email from this lady. She claimed that she was from a refugee camp in Libya. Except she had an UK email like .uk. Then she she said that she has 1 million dollars to give to someone trustworthy. Then she tried to ask for pictures of my friend. After that I told her it was a scam. Later on she would ask even more personal stuff probably. Somethings were wrong though with the lady's &quotlan." The Email address, also if she has 1 million dollars why can't she arrange a way to get out of the camp! Also how does a refugee camp have internet! She said she was using a laptop? So what do you think? (You=All of AG!)
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Oh ace, total scam.
I see a lot of that on Judge Judy (Lulz, i totally don't watch that show -rolls eyes)
Where they're able to totally rip the person off.

Sad thing is, someone lonely and in "Save the world" mode would fall for it.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I forgot to write there: the scam works by the person asking can they transfer this great sum of money into this persons bank account, the person agrees and gives the internet their bank details and gets all their money stolen.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Oooh that seems "fun!" Haha joking.
Well my friend got an email from this lady. She claimed that she was from a refugee camp in Libya. Except she had an UK email like .uk. Then she she said that she has 1 million dollars to give to someone trustworthy. Then she tried to ask for pictures of my friend. After that I told her it was a scam. Later on she would ask even more personal stuff probably. Somethings were wrong though with the lady's &quotlan." The Email address, also if she has 1 million dollars why can't she arrange a way to get out of the camp! Also how does a refugee camp have internet! She said she was using a laptop? So what do you think? (You=All of AG!)

I got them to but then like every week and I googled it once (1st time and of course it was false). And I think they are just weak trying to earn some money this way.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Oh ace, total scam.

Haha I know. But my friend didn't, so I had to explain to her the dangers of getting scammed.
the scam works by the person asking can they transfer this great sum of money into this persons bank account, the person agrees and gives the internet their bank details and gets all their money stolen.

Seems like a happy ending after all! Haha
I got them to but then like every week and I googled it once (1st time and of course it was false). And I think they are just weak trying to earn some money this way.

Most of time for money. But won't peopple eventually trace down the person, or the company that sends thousands of scams out each and every day?
KingWarHammer
KingWarHammer
61 posts
Nomad

Restaurants that take your credit card can just get the numbers off of it and do whatever with it, or at least thats what i think they do(>_&gt all ik is never give da restaurant ur credit card

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

She claimed that she was from a refugee camp in Libya.

Ha, like those people saying the Prince of Nigeria needs your credit card number!
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Yeah if people r gonna scam they could put some time into it. Ace, I said it was a random woman in libia who was trying to give 1 million dollars to ur friend, who is a complete random person to this "woman"? Yup it doesn't look like a scam lol

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Sigh, typo. I ment
Ace, u said
Not
Ace, I said

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I've never been scammed, but I almost have. Last year I got a pop up requesting for my personal information because I had a virus, but the pop up itself was a virus after I did some investigating.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Restaurants that take your credit card can just get the numbers off of it and do whatever with it, or at least thats what i think they do(>_&gt all ik is never give da restaurant ur credit card

Then where should you ever use a credit card if you're too paranoid to trust any business with it?
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Luckily I have never been scammed. Even if someone tried to scam me on my phone they would be very disappointed because I never check it.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Not true. I have worked in restaurants in six different countries and stealing someones creditcard information was rather impossible. Everywhere needs the customer to enter their pin, minus America. Although, what happens behind the scenes of an American restaurant in regard to credit cards isn't all that exciting. They get swiped and a receipt gets printed, there is a customer receipt and a restaurant receipt which needs to be signed. If you managed to get away from your supervisor and other colleagues for long enough to write down the credit card - what would you do with it if you didn't have experience? Nothing really you could do.
Even if you did, your name will be on the receipt of last transaction, so when the person queries why their money is missing or why someone is shopping with their card, you will be the first investigated.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Someone I knew were almost robbed. A man in a suit and tie came to their house and said he needed to check the fire alarms. What fool would wear a suit for that? My acquaintance wasn't sure, but her dog, who usually didn't give a whiff about strangers, started barking like mad at the man. At that point, the woman knew he was lying, and sent him packing.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

My rule is if a phone call is actually worth there time then they can send me a voicemail.

Showing 16-30 of 34