ForumsThe TavernRadical Honesty

32 6654
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Has anybody ever heard or does anybody practice Radical Honesty?

I first came across this term in a television show (Lie to me, if you're curious) and later discovered a few people who actually live their lives showing radical honesty.

It is where you basically think out loud, everything you say is total honesty, despite what the truth may be.

• 32 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I don't and would almost never try that. I hate to hurt people and could definitly not do it to relive my stress. I do try to be honest though. I try to remind myself that if I lie then it'll be bad in the end and try to lie as little as possible. But theres's no way I would say whatever is on my mind. Especially because I'm always think random and bizzare thoughts that would definitly offend and disgust people.

vontje
vontje
866 posts
Nomad

Lol my friend seems to have that some times. He is really weird and just blurts out everything he thinks. It's very offending and irritating. Especially since he doesn't like someone that is in our 'group' and he picks on him all the time. Another thing is that i'm in love with his best friend and he'll just scream things like OMG JUST KISS ALREADY! and we're like; leave it, that's up to us:P

But i don't practice radical honesty and i hadn't heard about it up untill now:P

Senben9
Senben9
21 posts
Nomad

I dont like the idea of radical honesty because i wouldnt want to hurt any ones feelings

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I do that every so often. Like today, while doing laundry.

Some guy walked up to me well within my personal bubble and started saying something. I just blurted out "Honestly, I don't give a ****. Now back the hell up."

I got, in return, a baffled look and him leaving until I was done.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I have it sometimes but one time I can control it so I just say a few words but Sometimes I'm like in class and say stupid stuff about other people it is just awful. But I didnt know it was a lifestyle.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I sometimes mumble under my breath what i'm thinking, but I guess it's not very clear as most often I hear, "What was that?" with them having a confused look on their face.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I have it sometimes but one time I can control it so I just say a few words

The difference with practicing radical honesty is it's a choice to do it. Even if it'll hurt someones feelings or you don't want to - you have to.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

The difference with practicing radical honesty is it's a choice to do it. Even if it'll hurt someones feelings or you don't want to - you have to.

So there are people who have to be honest all the time? If I was like that I would often cover it up by saying lalalalalalallallallalalaaalaalla. Or humming. It would be a pretty obvious way and it would make me look pretty stupid, but I would rather look stupid then upset people.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i dont think thats such a great ideas. there are things that arent too important but can still hurt people. for example: cant you just bare the fact you think that guy is ugly, be quiet for a few seconds and just live your life?

i almost never say what i think but thats just because i dont really talk much espacially to people i dont know. you should be honest when the truth is actually important and be nice and consider other peopls feelings.

and even when you think something bad about someone. it might be wrong and you are too quick to judge. its better to keep some things to yourself until your certain they are correct.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

To quote Tvtropes:
It is well documented that radical honesty robs one of impulse control. Just observe anyone fond of the phrase "Just keeping it real."
Lying (and impulse control) is a pretty standard way of coping with living as a social and somewhat intelligent animal.
Besides, it it was more fun to be snarky than being honest.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

One time I was in line in a Subway restaurant behind this guy from the local high school. He was talking to the girl behind the counter, who he obviously knew from the same school, about so-and-sos relationship with some other so-and-so. I try to tune this kind of thing as far out of my conscience as possible. They were just going on and on about this while our sandwiches were being made, then he up and turned around and asked me, "so what do you think about this?" I just said "I don't know what you're talking about, and frankly I want to leave it that way." You could almost see the gears grinding to a halt in his head.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Only complete idiots would attempt to live there lives like that.

Of course, I think you're all absolutely, completely, beyond-the-scope idiotic, moronic, ignoramic reprobites who aren't worth the oxygen they use up, but thats beside the point.

Thats actually pretty fun.

RainbowGoGangster3
RainbowGoGangster3
529 posts
Nomad

its not that i will say everything i say... its just that im brutaully anunest and cant control it all the time.

Peek
Peek
120 posts
Nomad

Wow, that sounds like a very interesting idea, but I would never practice it myself. That's just weird. People would get offended (Imagine telling everyone you know of the opposite sex how attractive you think they are)

Reminds me of a movie called The Invention of Lying. In it, there's an alternate society where everyone tells the truth all the time, but then one guy develops the ability to lie.

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

hmmmm no ive heard of it but i do not practice if i said everything i thought id have been murdered a long time ago

Showing 1-15 of 32