ForumsThe TavernRadical Honesty

32 6653
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Has anybody ever heard or does anybody practice Radical Honesty?

I first came across this term in a television show (Lie to me, if you're curious) and later discovered a few people who actually live their lives showing radical honesty.

It is where you basically think out loud, everything you say is total honesty, despite what the truth may be.

• 32 Replies
alovera1
alovera1
510 posts
Peasant

i have seen that show to lie to me good show but ive never practiced it ive thought about it but i just forgot about

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Wow, that sounds like a very interesting idea, but I would never practice it myself. That's just weird. People would get offended

People who are so thin-skinned as to be offended by the truth are weaklings.
Arjan
Arjan
41 posts
Nomad

I don't know, that Blanton guy has a point. If everyone would be redical honest the world would be way better, however, if there is only a group of people being radical honest, it isn't going to work.
If only such a world would exist, imagine, you never had to lock anything... If something was stolen, you'd just ask on tv or something:
''Who did it?'' and someone would go to a police station and confess.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Ah sure arjan, it would be practical in that sense.
But what about the mothers who don't love their children blurting out "I've never loved you" when their kid says "I love you" for the first time?

Some things would be way too harsh.

Peek
Peek
120 posts
Nomad

Almost EVERYONE would get offended by being told the complete and absolute truth, all the time. Think about it. People would always be telling you exactly what they think of you whenever they see you. I mean seriously...
Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

some people are honest like his regardless of trying to be

aka anime characters LOL

but anybody can be like that at times, and some are like that

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Radical Honesty...there's a disorder that prevents Radical Honesty from being kept at bay by your mind's morality or emotional knowledge about what to really say. To quote Three-Dog: "Bringing you the truth: no matter how bad it hurts!"

Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

I don't like guys like the 'Radical Honesty" dude

all these things philosophers think they should get credit for makes me facepalm sometimes

people have been thinking like that (or not) and doing things like that (or not) rather obviously for millennial. gah

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

If everybody was completed honest, the world would become completely corrupt even though telling the truth is the exact opposite of corrupt. Think about it, if somebody asks you something like "do I look good?" and you thinking they don't would cause the person too hate you and that would happen with everyone.

Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

mm nah I think that if everybody was like that people would just find ways to change the way they react more easily

or adapt to it and find ways to understand peoples intentions instead

I wouldn't hate someone who called me ugly instantly anyway, I wouldn't like them, but I wouldn't hate them

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

I wouldn't hate someone who called me ugly instantly anyway, I wouldn't like them, but I wouldn't hate them

Yes, but most people probably would hate someone if they called them ugly, especially people with low self-esteem.
Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

I have low self-esteem
oh well xO

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Anyone ever seen The Invention of Lying? That's what this whole topic makes me think of anyways.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I've seen the invention of lying. It seems that everything went fine for them and when the guy lies people's lives start to go bad. It was kinda funny how they didn't lie at all.

"I would marry you but then our children would be chubby and snout nosed."

XD it was something like that. But because no one lied many people were really swallow and only thought of the best for their children through genetics and not about people's personality. Another one was

"You're going to have the salad, because we both know that one day you're going to lose your looks.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Almost EVERYONE would get offended by being told the complete and absolute truth, all the time. Think about it. People would always be telling you exactly what they think of you whenever they see you. I mean seriously...

Solution: Grow a spine. Suck it up. Get on with life. If even a few people started doing that, it might catch on, and then we might just have *gasp* strong people who don't whine about hot coffee being hot or the fact that they actually have to work at a job or realize that the word "black" is not a pejorative. Why, that kind of person may even have the cojones to get off their tail and stop the downward trend that this country and the world is on, and they would definitely put all the lawyers who specialize in frivolous bovine excrement out of work.

I would exhibit more radical honesty along those lines here, but I don't want to get off topic. Suffice it to say, I am rather disappointed with most of humanity right now.
Showing 16-30 of 32