ForumsThe TavernSleep Paralysis

11 2653
Demetra
Demetra
62 posts
Nomad

Hey guys,i made this topic to share what im suffering from and to find out if other people suffer from the same thing.Its been a year now that every now or so or twice a week i suffer from sleep paralysis.It is a condition when someone who sleeps wakes up from a lucid dream or this comes as a side effect cause of anxiety,and they can't move their limbs,can't scream or shout,can't talk and you have just to sit there and wait to come back to life.
It's realy annoying cause i get those things all the time!As much as i know it's nothing bad or life threatening but as i said it's realy annoying and scary.Does anyone else suffer from this?I like to hear your experiences and if there is anything you do to avoid it!I've googled it a lot but still i needed to make a topic on this forum so i could share that.It realy scares me.Im afraid,everytime it happens to me,that i wont come back again.

• 11 Replies
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

that's pretty scary. have you tried not to have lucid dreams?

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I bet I would go nuts the first time it happened. But what if there is fire and you wake up and you get this. Are you dead meat then or is the paralysis for a few seconds.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

iS THERE NO WAY TO GET UR LIMBS TO WORK AGIAN? OR IS IT just where you have to wait it out, sorry i had caps lock on for the first sentence. I had that once where i woke up out of a scarry dream and was trying to scream for help cause i was drifting back into it but I couldn't move or anything, except i could see.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

My friend said he had this for a short period of time. He said that he dreamt that his dog kept growling at him and his fan started making a really scary sound.

Now as for myself, I've never had this problem. So I can't really help you with how to avoid it.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Is it like you are too scared to move? Or is it that once you are awake and calm you can not phsically move? I've woken up unable to move for a little while because I was just really shocked from waking up. If it's the first one, advice I would give to you would be to calm down and talk yourself into moving. If it's the second one then I have no idea what you should do.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I used to suffer pretty badly from it, which sucked because i was extremely claustrophobic. I had it from around age 9, i think, to around age 11, i think. I always got extremely nervous waking up and not being able to move.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

My friend had an experience like this for the first time the other night. I was amazed to hear about it.
It sounds very scary indeed.
I think it's all about controlling your mind to get away from a dream.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Shona and I were just talking about this last week I think. Good thing I remembered the conversation or else I would have forgotten to keep closing my eyes after undergoing sleep paralysis! :P
I was dreaming (duh), and about 9 or so minutes into it, I was at this part where this girl was asking me this question and my dream self was trying to answer it, but no sound came out. That slowly diluted into my mouth muscles themselves trying to work out the phrases to speak, but they didn't move. Each time she spoke became more hasty and anxious, and eventually I just snapped out of the dream and into cold night.

And I still could not speak! DUN DUN DUN!

Demetra
Demetra
62 posts
Nomad

Yea it's a weird situation.I can't move physicaly just for a couple of minutes till the paralysis is over.Its not that im scared,i just can't move cause my body is still sleeping but my mind no.:P

jt25rox
jt25rox
332 posts
Peasant

happened once to me. i thought i woke up to a robbery i tried to tell the guy who was hidin in my closet to get out. nothin came out. i was notrobbed

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I can't say that this has ever happened to me, because this has never happened to me. I've never even heard of this condition before, and I'm glad I've never had to experience it (so far).

The closest I can relate to the whole sleep paralysis thing is sleeping in some position that causes my arms to fall asleep. When I wake up, I can't move my arms. This usually proves to be a nuisance, especially if I have to get up abruptly.

I've often complained about my dreams being too meaningless, but I'm glad they aren't that powerful.

Showing 1-11 of 11