ForumsThe TavernRemember?

21 3529
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I can hardly remember anything. I have a terrible memory and I don't know what I should do about it. It's gotten so bad I've that it makes me look like an idiot and people have even asked me "are you high?". So yeah, anyone else have a terrible memory? Or ways to help?

P.S: I was going to make the title "are you high?" But I thought people might take it the wrong way.

• 21 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

People have asked me 'Are you high?' when I'm tired and stare into nothingness.

Purely guessing that Googling Memory Improvement Techniques would help you.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

People learn and remember things certain ways.

There are 3 main types of learning, visual, auidtory, or kinesthetic. Visual and auditory I don't think I have to explain much, other than you learn by seeing things done or hearing an explanation of it. Kinesthetic is learning by doing. Also remember that you are most likely to remember the first and last of pretty much everything. Take a movie for example, I bet you can remember how it started and how it ended, but remembering the middle parts may be harder.

As for just memory in general...I don't really know how you could improve that. I know that I remember things in pictures {Photographic memory) and that listening to, say, a tape or recording is a pretty sure fire way for me not to retain that information. However if I read it or see it done, I have no problem recalling it.

So...learn how you learn and hopefully your memory will improve along with it I guess? That or just pay more attention in general I suppose.

Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

at one point things just 'came to me' so I just sat there and waited for the thinking to happen, it usually did..

But some time ago, but not soon enough, I actually realized that remembering something on purpose was "recall" or recalling it..

o.owut

sometimes the most obvious things you take for granted and you lose them and re-find them..><

Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

sorry for the double post again, but people and scientists don't seem to understand the value of refection and how important it is to learning and understand and memory

although they probably do understand it's importance for that memory part..

I'd say that reflection is the '4th' main way people learn.

I'm sure there's a 5th somewhere and main ways aren't all ways dun limit yourself in learning examples are just examples after all

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Thanks, I've already tried the google thing but my brain just works a little different. I pay attention to what I'm doing but it feels like I just lose it. I could be thinking about it and with the tiniest distraction my mind goes compleatly blank. I think it'll take your advice on paying attention more kasic. My mind wanders too easily. Unfortunatly I have trouble with long term and short term memorization. Short term can be fixed with focusing on paying attention, but I have no idea what can be done about the long term.

Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

It could be medical actually. How long has this be going on..?

hopefully not medical..(but if it is it might be easily fixed lolz)

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I've had this problem as long as I can remember. My dad has it too.

Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

Well if your dad got along well enough to make you; I'm sure you'll do fine.. but you might want to consult a doctor anyway..

not sure what kind though, neurologist?

I've heard of things like memory problems being hormone problems or thyroid problems

Don't have any real information on it myself though, maybe you could ask your doctor to recommend a kind of doctor xO

research about it n'stuff

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

I have a pretty good memory, but I don't think you can improve it.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

I think i'm a kinesthetic. I think it's much easier if you try it first and then know how to do it.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

im alot like you. first of all kasics comment is very helpful and true (and i know that just from reading half of the first sentence).

now, i mostly use stupid things to remember something. for example: if you need to study for a history test and you have to remember something dont just read the book normaly. read one part in the kitchen, read one part in your room, read one part idk.... holding a cookies XD. you will remember you will holding a cookie and then you will remember where youve been and what you read. the memorie really works like a chain.

the smales most unimportant things will make people remember something forever. you need to remember an event? just say a stupid random word. it will make it easier to remember. if you say a stupid word to someone and then tell him that now he will remember this moment for a long time it probably will happen XD.

try many different approaches.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I have really strong memory in pretty much everything, but names. I forgot half the kids in my school's names over summer vacation, and i almost never remember a name at all if i don't hear it often enough.

Arjan
Arjan
41 posts
Nomad

P.S: I was going to make the title "are you high?" But I thought people might take it the wrong way.

Yes, bad idea. Anyways, there are many ways to improve your memory, even with playing ''brain'' games (mainly for the Nintendo DS)!
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I think there's different situations that affect this.
With school work, i'm pretty good at memorizing things and studying, but with things in every day life i have the worst memory and attention span ever.

As Arjan said, brain games are fun - you can play them online too.

gamer1111111
gamer1111111
204 posts
Farmer

Most the time I'll remember some stupid little thing from the past , but completely forget something major. does that happen to anyone?

Showing 1-15 of 21