ForumsThe TavernNew name for orange

40 5571
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I never liked the fact that orange (the fruit) has the same exact name as the color orange. I always found that annoying and think we should change the name of it, if you were to change the name of the fuit Orange, what would you call it?

• 40 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Well, they do have variations already so i don't think it's that much of a bummer, although it is weird that it's the colour, and every other fruit has it's own name.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Learn Danish, call it an "appelsin".
However, there is a huge amount of words that cover both different means and different objects. Another example would be "kiwi", not to mention a much more annoying word: "You".

All this said, I have never been able to pronounce "orange" correctly, whether I am talking about the colour or the fruit, so a change to both of them would be much appreciated.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Learn Danish, call it an "appelsin".
However, there is a huge amount of words that cover both different means and different objects. Another example would be "kiwi", not to mention a much more annoying word: "You".

So in danish, its called applesin? and what other uses the word Kiwi has?
All this said, I have never been able to pronounce "orange" correctly, whether I am talking about the colour or the fruit, so a change to both of them would be much appreciated.

I think I would kepp the name of the color (sorry Cenere) because it's such an early thing to learn, and its already pretty much permanent since its everywhere and is used so often, I would call the orange... Big Tangeriene.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Well, they do have variations already so i don't think it's that much of a bummer, although it is weird that it's the colour, and every other fruit has it's own name.

Can you list some of the variations? I never heard of any variations of the fruit orange.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I never liked the fact that orange (the fruit) has the same exact name as the color orange.

I think I would kepp the name of the color (sorry Cenere) because it's such an early thing to learn,

So confusing.

Can you list some of the variations? I never heard of any variations of the fruit orange.

Wiki
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Not apple like the fruit. Appel-sin.

Kiwi: Small bird
Kiwi: Small hairy fruit
Kiwi: Someone from New Zealand (thought that might, might not be correct)

And well, using that logic, it makes sense to call an orange 'orange', because it is... well, orange.
It's still a hard word to say, and I will continue to say it wrong the few times I will need to ever say it.

Ironically, the colour is still spelled 'orange' in Danish.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

So confusing.

In what way?
And so why did we change the name of norange to orange in the first place? Thats what I don't get, also I think its interesting how its mostly considered the "chinesse apple" but in the US that refers to the palmegranite (i know I misspelled that).
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

And well, using that logic, it makes sense to call an orange 'orange', because it is... well, orange.
It's still a hard word to say, and I will continue to say it wrong the few times I will need to ever say it.

I meant that it wouldn't be sensible because in the earlies years of my life I learned the names of the colors and I don't think that would work if someone just changed it, also there is paint cans and stuff all with the name orange on it, so what I'm saying is it will have to change a whole bunch of products, but if you change the fuit orange, that's only one product.
Kiwi: Small bird
Kiwi: Small hairy fruit
Kiwi: Someone from New Zealand (thought that might, might not be correct)

Just like the pecan bird.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Except for orange juice, orangeade and so on, not to mention any companies that might be using the orange and a fitting logo, or might be otherwise related to the citrus fruit of colour.

While, on paint and the like, you would only need to change the little word stating the colour.

Also, please check the shades of orange and cross out any colour that is also a word for something else/named after said item.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Ok so changing any of the names seem like a bad idea, how bout this then,
What would you find a more suiting name for Orange would be?

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Citrus. I mean u always get like citrus smoothies and it's just orange!!! Yeah citrus

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

If I asked anyone for a citrus, they would look at me and give me a lemon. I think that might be depending on the culture, though.

Sadly, I have to sad the word 'orange' is quite fitting for what it is describing. The colour orange does look like, well, orange (in the same way I might look like a Richard *cough*)
It doesn't make it easier to pronounce, but I am just blaming the English language as a whole for that.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

1. If you ask for an orange, you'll get understood in many languages, at least French, English and German, and probably more. This can be very practical.

2. Just think about it.. you wouldn't want the Annoying Orange to be called the Annoying Citrus??

I must personally say, I have never had any problem with that, though I didn't grow English-speaking like you apparently did. Still, I see no sense in changing it's name.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

If I asked anyone for a citrus, they would look at me and give me a lemon.

in dutch a lemon is called a citroen (yes like the cars but it's pronaunced different)
so if you ask us for a citrus, we most likely will give you a citroen. wich is actualy a lemon.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

1. If you ask for an orange, you'll get understood in many languages, at least French, English and German, and probably more. This can be very practical.

Case in point: Appelsin.
Yup.

in dutch a lemon is called a citroen (yes like the cars but it's pronaunced different)

Same, but without the e. Which is guess is why we get the same result.

Then again, Dutch and Danish can be eerily similar at times, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Showing 1-15 of 40