ForumsThe Tavern[HYPOTHETICAL] Gravity

19 2588
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Well, everybody knows that gravity is the thing that keeps us from floating on space.

People also know that the gravitational center of Earth is it's nucleus.

So, now a HYPOTHETICAL question:

If someone managed to make a hole that crossed the Earth from one side to another, and then something fall on it, this thing would reach the other side or would be stuck in the middle?

Of course, DISREGARDING heat, pressure, etc.

The point is that, once the center of gravity in Earth is it's nucleus, why something would reach the other side and not being stuck in the middle?

This is a very hypothetical question. Disregarding ALL the things that might stop the object from falling, what do you think it would happen? Would it reach the other side or would it be stuck in the middle?

In my opinion, it would be stuck in the middle. Or if the object reached a force of 10+ newtons (more than the gravity's ~9,8 N), it would be in an endless loop, once it would pass the gravitational center and then be pulled back again, and so on.

So, what do you think? (once again, this is a hypothetical question: Don't you answer asking about heat or pressure when I said to disregard them before)

• 19 Replies
d_dude
d_dude
3,523 posts
Peasant

Well is the object inanimate or some kind of creature? I think the flailing of limbs of an animal would certainly shift the path it was taking.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Well is the object inanimate or some kind of creature? I think the flailing of limbs of an animal would certainly shift the path it was taking.

I can't use a human as an example because I realize that someone would say: "It would disintegrate because of the heat, yadda yadda yadda"

Imagine it as an UNbreakable brick...
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

sorry for DP, but, once again: No heat, nor pressure, nor nothing that can stop it...

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I think if it was a regular object that fell to the venter then it would be stuck there. Unless it could somehow propel itself out of the center. But if it couldn;t then it should stay.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Well, I think that depending on the weight of the object, it would build up enough momentum to break the gravitational pull and make it to the other side. Now a feather would just be stuck there forever.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Well, I think that depending on the weight of the object, it would build up enough momentum to break the gravitational pull and make it to the other side.

In that case, once the thing reached the other side, it would decelerate and fall again, staying in an endless loop.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

The point is that, once the center of gravity in Earth is it's nucleus, why something would reach the other side and not being stuck in the middle?

while falling towards the nucleus the object builds up speed caused by gravity. it will be stuck in the middle because it has a maximum speed it is able to fall. when it reaches the nucleus it will go past it the 1 st time but then he starts to "fall" slower (because the gravity is now on his other side.) and return to 0km/h and then fall to the nucleus again. this will happen until he is unable to build enoufg speed by falling to get past the necleus.

however if your able to make the fall in a tube that is vacuum. then you will keep building up speed while you fall towards the necleum. and the gravity on the other side will slow down your fall just as much as you did speed up in the way towards the necleus.
so in the end you will become 0km/h at the same hight (but on the other side of earth) as you fell down
Alpha791
Alpha791
3,896 posts
Peasant

Well no air means less friction and more speed. So without air there wouldn't be a terminal velocity so it would keep building speed down one side and if the object was large enough it would build enough energy to break the pull of gravity and fly into the void of space.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Are we also disregarding that it's impossible to build a hole through earth? =P Eventually tho you would be stuck in the middle. (I am also assuming that death by starvation is also being disregarded. If not, bring snacks)

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Or if the object reached a force of 10+ newtons (more than the gravity's ~9,8 N), it would be in an endless loop, once it would pass the gravitational center and then be pulled back again, and so on.

how would the object go past the force of gravity if gravity was the force acting upon it? thats like saying a 10 lb weight falling at 10 ft/sec has the potential to put out the same amount of force as an 11 lb weight falling at 10 ft/sec from the same height...
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Well gravity is a constant force, I am not sure if it gets stronger when u get to the center, no one does. But I mean say u were a skilled climber and u feel to the middle of the earth, u should be able to climb out. It would take a lot of time and strength though

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Well no air means less friction and more speed. So without air there wouldn't be a terminal velocity so it would keep building speed down one side and if the object was large enough it would build enough energy to break the pull of gravity and fly into the void of space.

sorry for the DP but no...you wouldn't. because the second you pass the center of the earth you would have gravity pulling you back down, not still pushing you. you would go past the center the exact distance that you were from it when you jumped into the hole.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Well gravity is a constant force, I am not sure if it gets stronger when u get to the center, no one does.

I am pretty sure if you were in the exact center of a perfect sphere with enough mass to have considerably gravity you could "float" in a way. you wouldn't be able to just sit in the center no touching anything, but you could have all your extremities outstretched to different parts of the sphere and you would be suspended.....unless it was some MASSIVE planet or something like that...then you'd get ripped limb from limb
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

I think it would be stuck in the middle. although if it reached the other side then it would be very useful for transportation. or maybe not. depending on the speed and if it is safely contained.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I am not sure if it gets stronger when u get to the center, no one does.

Think of it like the atmosphere. When you're at the top of a tall mountain like Everest, the air is less dense than at sea level. That's because when an object gets closer to the center of a mass, more gravitational forces are exerted on it.

unless it was some MASSIVE planet or something like that...then you'd get ripped limb from limb

It's actually the other way around: You'd get crushed.
Showing 1-15 of 19