ForumsThe TavernHeadache Cure

23 3125
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Recently been cursed with a bout of migraines, is there any quick fix?

• 23 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Taking a nap for about an hour or two usually gets rid of headaches for me. Also medicine such as Tylenol gets rid of it quickly.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Tried both of them >< Does caffeine make it worse?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

There's caffeine in the headache medicine Excedrin, so I guess it'd help a little if you drink something containing caffeine. But I've read that if you are addicted to caffeine and stop drinking it for a while then you could receive a headache from caffeine withdrawal.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Migraines are evil, and I am starting to believe the only quick fix is to either stab yourself in the eye or somehow end your life, but it does not seem like a logical way of dealing with something that is just, well, pain.
I use triptans, which tends to work, and as there is a huge amount of different types of it, if one is not working, another might.
Sadly, some of them are pretty expensive, and most will make you drowsy, so they are best combined with taking a good nap anyway.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Mhmm...now I have time after the final exams, I guess a nap or two MIGHT work. Though of course it might be due to my immense caffeine withdrawal syndrome.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

That might be it.
Personally, I react rather badly to coffee, but that is mainly due to some migraines of mine being triggered by strong smells.

Lets see...
Foods and drinks that might trigger a migraine (as translated from a Danish migraine site):
Chocolate, red whine, cheese, alcohol, coffeine, possibly anything with Tyramine and Phenylethylamine (some of which was mentioned above).
Others might be the weather, cold, sound, smells and light and being hungry.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Mhmm...mixing RedBull and Coffee recently to stay up is a bad idea I guess. Not eating lunch too.

Thanks for the heads up Cen!

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Though I do believe withdrawal has headaches as a symptom, which acts like being hungry. It generally gets better when you start taking whatever you have an - addiction to, though I doubt it will be a good idea to test if it might be it.
This way, naps might actually make it worse, because you will still be starved of what your body think it needs, while also screwing it up further by denying it fluids and messing with your sleep schedule.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Should have checked before posting, eh.

But yeah, no problem.

mixing RedBull and Coffee recently to stay up is a bad idea I guess. Not eating lunch too.

The bane of the student.
Hopefully it will get better when you are done with your exams and you get to take a bit more care of yourself and sleeping properly again.
eddyalex
eddyalex
307 posts
Nomad

You need to have a big sleep and it will pass ...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

You need to have a big sleep and it will pass ...

Yep yep, problem is, I refuse to, it's time to party after exams!
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

-Check if you drink enough (water). You could just need a bit more fluids.
-Take on a 'normal' day rhythm again as soon as possible if wanting to get rid of the headache. If you party, you gotta live with it

RikJimmy00
RikJimmy00
240 posts
Nomad

Aspirine all the way cheers!

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

If it is a migraine and not just a normal headache the best thing to do is sleep it off in a dark room. Excedrin works fairly well if you can catch the migraine early enough.

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Paracetamol works quickly and effectively

Showing 1-15 of 23