32 posts
Nomad

wich mesuring system is better meters or inches? i like to know what you think

• 20 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

there is no such thing as better. they are just 2 different systems. i use meters because thats just what we use. the system they use in america confuses me.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

there is no such thing as better. they are just 2 different systems. i use meters because thats just what we use. the system they use in america confuses me.

You're joking right? The metric system is in base 10. That already is a huge advantage. The English system is a bunch of things in between different unites, typically, 2, 3, 5, or any multiple of those.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

You're joking right? The metric system is in base 10. That already is a huge advantage. The English system is a bunch of things in between different unites, typically, 2, 3, 5, or any multiple of those.

To each his own! If I'm used to the metric system I won't want to switch to the other and vice versa....
ATC3
ATC3
76 posts
Nomad

The metric system is way better. I will only cite on reason, metric is always divisible by 10.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

I will only cite on reason, metric is always divisible by 10.

Another reason is that you don't have to learn the names of a crapload of units within the system itself (inches, feet, yards, etc. (hard, I know!)) because you pretty much just use the one unit and add a prefix, which is the same no matter what you're measuring.

1000 gram = 1 kilogram.
1000 meters = 1 kilometre.

Since the prefixes are also based on the old Latin words you can recognise them even if you haven't heard them be used in that context.

Deci (1/10) sounds like decade, centi (1/100) sounds like century, milli (1/1000) sounds like millennium, etcetera.

I'd say the metric system is a lot better in that it makes a lot more sense, and is thus easier to learn.
savdebunnies
savdebunnies
111 posts
Nomad

I use both. Usaly meters especially in estimates.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

This is a bit like the discussion on temperatures. Different people use different units, and if you have to strike conversation with an American, you need to learn what they mean, or at least find some sort of "scale to scale" converter for easy - translating.

The metric system is however what I have been raised with, since we discarded the inches, feet and yards a long while back like the rest of the world.

KeenuTehUneek
KeenuTehUneek
91 posts
Nomad

But yet Americans use Fahrenheit, and the British uses Celsius. :l
thekingoftheworld
thekingoftheworld
32 posts
Nomad

why don't you use kelvin it's based on the coldest temprature that's posible.

thekingoftheworld
thekingoftheworld
32 posts
Nomad

i forgot to say 0 K is -273,15celcius / -459,7farenfeit

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

why don't you use kelvin it's based on the coldest temprature that's posible.

Because 99.999999% of the time we'll never be reaching that temperature. It's rather confusing to convert from Kelvin to Celsius and Fahrenheit for most.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

I totally prefer the metric system. Why? Because it's, most of the time, linear! 10 to 10! While the other system use inches, feet and such.

And, while measuring temperatures, I prefer celsius: Once again, it's linear. Starts at 0 and the water boils at 100. Simple

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I totally prefer the metric system. Why? Because it's, most of the time, linear!

Most of the time? When is it not?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I would actually prefer to see America switch to the metric system is it's a more widely used system globally. (The U.S. being the only industrialized nation to not use the metric system as a standard.) I think it's pretty functional with it being set up as a base ten system.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]why don't you use kelvin it's based on the coldest temprature that's posible.

Because 99.999999% of the time we'll never be reaching that temperature. It's rather confusing to convert from Kelvin to Celsius and Fahrenheit for most.[/quote]

Actually, there's a scientific law that says nothing can reach absolute zero. However, it is possible to get very close to absolute zero.

I would actually prefer to see America switch to the metric system is it's a more widely used system globally. (The U.S. being the only industrialized nation to not use the metric system as a standard.) I think it's pretty functional with it being set up as a base ten system.

I wouldn't mind a switch either since the metric system is easy to understand. In fact, some of the metric prefixes apply to bytes in computers.
Showing 1-15 of 20