ForumsThe TavernWhat do you do to get rid of hiccups?

38 7173
auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

Ok so all day in school I've had the hiccups and they're so annoying. It's hard to write a test when every four sec you have to hiccup. I still have them now and I already tried these:

- hold breath for 10 sec
- drink a full glass of water
- exercise a bit

I don't know what else to do and I'm kinda desperate at this point and I want to know what you guys do so I can get rid of these hiccups, thanks.

• 38 Replies
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

i hold my breath and try to convince myself that I don't have them....If you can trick yourself into thinking you don't have them, they go away. Unless you're weak-willed and don't trust yourself. ^ ^

eatmydust166
eatmydust166
923 posts
Peasant

First, I try holding my breath, if that doesn't work I usually chug some water, if that doesn't work then I chew some gum. If all else fails, I'm stuck with them till they go away.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

They generally go away on their own, so don't worry about it too much.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I usually hold my breath for about a minute, and if that doesn't work then I drink some water and it goes away.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Apparently it works rather well to hold your breath until your pass out.
I just doubt it is recommendable.

Considering this is spasms to the muscles under your lunges, I guess trying to breath calmly and relax should work.
Personally I just keep holding my breath for as long as possible, gasp for breath, hold my breath again until it hurts too much to continue, and I go about being annoyed at the hiccups until they go away naturally...
I don't know why I don't just skip the holding breath and go directly to annoyance...

bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
289 posts
Scribe

If someone is hiccuping, ask them these questions:

What did you have for dinner last night?
What about the night before that?
The night before That?
etc.

By the time that they can't remember anymore, they will have been so distracted that their hiccups have probably stopped. This has worked only sometimes for me, but it usually does it's job.

Also, the questions themselves are not that important, but you need to ask a question that could be continued like the one above.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

1. fill a large size glass of watter (medium size if your from usa)
2. wait for a hiccup to happen.
3. right after the hiccup start drinking the water slowly
(make sure you have been drinking the water for the same time as normaly 3 to 4 hiccups wold occur)
4. when the glass is empty do NOT burp. or cough.

5. hiccups gone.

works for me 100% evry time the last 25+ year.

Jetcord
Jetcord
825 posts
Nomad

Flip upsidedown and drink some water (Straws work well)

auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

I just got back from dinner and I tried all of them. The one partydevil suggested worked for like a whole min and I thought they were gone but they came back, but now they're finally gone. I think it's just time that makes them go away.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

well yea thats obvious, but we were trying to make them go away faster. No hiccups last forever, except if you have a medical condition which would suck

schuetteg6
schuetteg6
270 posts
Nomad

What I do is I will hold my breath and think happy thouhgts and dont think that I have the hiccups, then I let go and there gone

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I think it's just time that makes them go away.

That's the basis of my suggestion, so here's what think each suggestion did:

My suggestion worked. partydevil's suggestion worked for only a minute. Others did even worse.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

partydevil's suggestion worked for only a minute

it works always for me (not only a min)
it's good to never have that annoying thing for a longer time ^^
hiccups are compleetly useless anyway so =D
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

What did you have for dinner last night?
What about the night before that?
The night before That?
etc.
By the time that they can't remember anymore, they will have been so distracted that their hiccups have probably stopped. This has worked only sometimes for me, but it usually does it's job.

That's what my math teacher last year would do. It worked every time.
JellyBear
JellyBear
229 posts
Nomad

When I have hiccups, I hold my breath and swallow three times. Afterward, it's gone! It does leave a strangle feeling in my throat though.

Showing 1-15 of 38