ForumsThe TavernOld cars and new cars and their differences

20 12435
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I for one, love old cars, mostly the ones such as Rolls Royce's and Bentley's. But today cars never adapt the smooth curves unique shapes.

Who likes these modern day changes and who doesn't? Also, you can talk about their differences here.

• 20 Replies
Likuris
Likuris
65 posts
Nomad

The choice in favor of the old or the new car should be done with the position of "what do you need from a car." Safety, beautiful appearance, low cost, comfort, spaciousness and greater load capacity and so on.
Older models were made of more durable metal, had ramed structure. Plant manufacturer after a new car release continue to produce spare parts for it during 10 years. If you intend to buy an old car, be prepared for a problem with spare parts.
Relatively old cars (about 10-years old) cost less and are more reliable. For service of such car knowledge and straight arms are required.
100-years old car can cost more than the one just come down the assembly line.
If you are interested only in exterior design, among old and modern cars you can find interesting versions with smooth and straight lines. The choise depends on your preferences.

hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

I love the 20s-30s cars and 50s-60-s coupes.

I espacially like the 50s Chevy's,
http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/chevrolet/1950-chevrolet-bel-air.jpg

and the 30s Ford's
http://www.oldcarandtruckpictures.com/hantscountycarshows/windsor2003/1933_34_Ford_Coupe_Hot_Rod_.jpg

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Yes, that's it. The smooth curves and flamboyant wheel wells. As opposed to today, where the curves on a car don't make it look good at all!
Anyway, that's what I mean

RainbowGoGangster3
RainbowGoGangster3
529 posts
Nomad

I love love love old trucks!! like 55 or 58 those are good years.. i like older i guess cause they are all unique and cool in their own way new cars all kinda look alike :b

cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

I LOVE old cars and trucks! My dad has a 55 Chevy Belair that he practically rebuilt himself, (but it doesn't look like hokzwijn's picture up there) and a 55 chevy truck that he needs to work on, so thats probably where I got my love for antique cars. I also love old Mustangs, especially Fastbacks from the late 70s.
As for why I like them, or how they are different, I'm not really sure. They just have this "feeling" in them, like if you close your eyes, you can go back in time to when the car was new, and live in that past for awhile. For some reason, they also smell kinda good, like a mixture of leather and oil, but in a good way.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

http://www.autogaul.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/1954-bentley-r-type-continental-2.jpg

A 1954 Bentley R-type Continental, my favorite car

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I prefer newer and more sleek cars; doubtless someone will slam my undignified taste. I do admire old cars though, being an avid watcher of Top Gear.

BladeBreaker
BladeBreaker
702 posts
Nomad

Upon seeing this thread title the first thing that came to mind was "Toyata Supra". No, I'm not saying it is an old car, but the difference between the oldest versions and the version that is planned to come out within the next few years is astonishing; change having been for the better.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

@nichodemus; How dare you?! Nah, jokes. I see your point. The curves in modern cars are for aerodynamics, (which makes no sense seeing you can't go above a certain speed) whereas the curves in old cars are for beauty.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

@nichodemus; How dare you?! Nah, jokes. I see your point. The curves in modern cars are for aerodynamics, (which makes no sense seeing you can't go above a certain speed) whereas the curves in old cars are for beauty.

Actually.....a depends on one's tastes.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I consider old cars to be better, these modern day cars are all so low and noisy...

And besides, my entire family road in a 20 year old car that's still in production in Serbia... The Yugo <3

http://img.timeinc.net/time/2007/50_cars/yugo.jpg

With it's dead animal-like smell, and an engine that can hardly carry more than it's own weight, the Yugo is the perfect family car with as much space to fit 4 and a half people!

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Really? That's odd. I can see it. I'll put another one up
http://www.frankdale.com/images/stocklist/1282139676-9031-1954rtypecontinentalsideivo.jpg

ova9000
ova9000
88 posts
Nomad

it depends on what type... those cheap sh#t looking minivans suck, but that new porsch spyder 918 and that mercedes benze are awsome.
old cars are really cool like the farari gt1950
i guess overall old cars are better because the common ones are better than the sh#t looking minivans

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

Old cars: no seatbelts
New cars: MOAR GAS!!!

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

I prefer newer cars since they look fresher. However, if a car is old enough, it could be worth a lot.

Showing 1-15 of 20