ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 146589
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

It's not that the site was better, it's that it's community was. While i wasn't here (active) for the high point of the forums, i was here while they were better. Most threads that come up these days (mostly in the tavern) are terrible and uninteresting, the general skill in sections such as the AMW is relatively low, and the average intelligence of the users is depressingly stupid. The last part of that may not necessarily be true in real life, but they put absolutely no thought into their posts. Even when i come up with an interesting thread idea, I'm usually not motivated enough to actually write it up because of the majority of responses it's going to get i know are going to unintelligent, because whenever i have tried this in the past, i fail to spark any intelligent conversation. At the end of they day what happened is, most of old generation of AG users left for whatever reason, and the ones that remained are not at all pleased with the new generation, while the new generation see and have accepted it's current state as the standard and are pleased with it.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

What Master said, pretty much.
Even more so because trying to get them to improve their threads and posts isn't a particularly easy task, which is why I hope the AGv3 forum is going to be a new sparkling one, or at least a cleaned version of this, without any old posts left.
They might be amusing to read and part of site history, but it really does bump down the ability to keep proper order everywhere.

And well, then there is the matter of generations all together.
Vets everywhere are going to be nostalgic of the time when they were newbies on the site. It doesn't matter if the site has improved or changed at all since the start, it's the "when I was..." feel that matters. Just ask your parents.
Besides, AG has gone from having a small and active community to having a larger community, which obviously changes the dynamics of the community entirely.

I would appreciate if everyone would read this, look at their posts and try and up the quality and length of them, at least to preserve mod (in)sanity, because at some point we are probably going to snap and get nasty, if it continues down this spiral.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Agreed with master, I don't have much posts, but that's because I was ashamed of my lack of knowledge compared to a lot of, at the time, active users. But now, it just feels like AG has been overloaded with 13-15 year olds that still haven't the knowledge for most of the 'smarter' threads on here.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

And also , I've notices the Mods are less involved in the posts, I remember when mods were active everywhere, Tavern, Newcomers etc.
I'm not sure if it's just because of the AGv3 development or they lost interest aswell.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Missed the good old days frolicking in the AMW with the more active users...I feel like an old veteran haha; excuse my self-indulgence.

But yes, it was way more active before, and hence much more fun. There were a couple of trolls that provided entertainment, for good or for bad.

Also, when Cen was not a mod. Also, when more of the mods were active. God, I miss those AG days.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

it was way more active before

Firetail was really frequent on teh forums, I haven't seen him in any threads for such a long time
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Firetail was really frequent on teh forums, I haven't seen him in any threads for such a long time

Anyone in the Top 100 were, but they're mostly all gone...
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

but they're mostly all gone...

Zega! Did he delete or what??
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Zega! Did he delete or what??

I heard from Knight he got banned due to spam. Perma or temp? Idk.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I've notices the Mods are less involved in the posts, I remember when mods were active everywhere, Tavern, Newcomers etc.

This is mainly because every time we log in, we are either tired, have mod stuff to do... Or the topics being crappy, and we are unable to write up an intelligent post on base of the thread discussion.
Make some better threads, then there might be more (visibly) active mods on the forums.
It doesn't help that we are two-three active mods online on average either, I guess...

Also, when Cen was not a mod. [...] God, I miss those AG days.

Aw...

@Firetail:
He is still active, however mainly in the Flash section.

@Zega:
Like many vets, he came back, thought he could behave like he could have in the smaller community, and due to previous bans, he got permabanned.
Also note it is impossible to actually delete your account.

It's a little funny with these threads. Anyone who have been here fore a year or two know they pop up ever so often. Then the vets go cry at the changes to the community, the regulars go comment like they are vets, and the newbies try to sound like they know what they are talking about.
Adorable, but it gets a little boring over time.
Same goes for "Why did the forums die?" threads... And the "hen or the egg" and so forth. In that respect, the forums haven't changed at all.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

@Zega...

Who else got permabanned from the vets?

Then the vets go cry at the changes to the community...

It's just there's to many newbies.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

It's just there's to many newbies.

Newbie here. I MUST agree. Lately, the threads quality have decreased. Good ones have been locked due to spam and other things. And new ones are mostly OPSpam.

*looks at Tavern's 1ST page*

It... was like that before?

Who else got permabanned from the vets?
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I honestly think the tavern is the worst part. I just scrolled through a few threads, it's honestly a disgrace...

Or the topics being crappy, and we are unable to write up an intelligent post on base of the thread discussion.

I honestly can't be bothered to make any good threads, because maybe 2 or 3 normal/good responses will come, the rest will be pointless spam..
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Eek. Sorry for DP. But I miswrote. Noticed that a minute ago.

it's actually

I can't believe that it was like that before...

There are only a few threads that can be saved. Other ones are a little... (writing Klaushouse style)

- I am bored...
Bored Kid 1

- Why don't you play some games?
Gamer Kid

- Hm... I "haz" an idea! I'll make a thread about a question that I thought about right now!
Bored About-to-make-thread kid

- YEAH! Let's do it!
Recently doomed forum-poking Gamer kid

I'm not making allusion to any thread in particular. Just talking about the forums generally.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

(writing Klaushouse style)

He has to much free time in his hands...
Did you see his post about why adblocking is bad?
Showing 1-15 of 1018