Nomad

I wanna know you viewpoint of this....

....Im interested.

• 51 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

But hopefully commenting and rating games don't give out points.

They shouldn't give points for doing either of those things, I agree. It's useless (I was going to say pointless, but...). Rate-farming only increases as more games are added.

One problem I have with achievements is that may encourage more users to use cheat engines or hacking methods. I'm not saying everyone is going to be a hacker in AG3; the general flash gaming population isn't very into hacking. It's just one other things the admins will have to worry about when using games as the basis for their point system.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

pro: 12-year-old chatspammers now have an easier time getting banned

con: people use them as a form of accomplishment, as though they actually accomplished something by rating 2000 games in a short amount of time

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Pros: They allow you to have a goal when using ArmorGames.

Cons: They distract me from my schoolwork. For the past three days, I would stay on ArmorGames from 3 to 6. Then, I would have to cram all my homework in at night.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Con of the day: It makes users write really, really short comments on games, which they then assume isn't spam, because they weren't intending to spam, even though the rules points out that such behaviour is still spam. I also wonder why they believe such comments can actually be considered feedback of anything. Got one before, going something along the lines of "I don't play puzzle games, so I won't review this game", just shorter, which is spam anyway, because it is utterly irrelevant.
I still lack a pro for AP.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Con of the day: It makes users write really, really short comments on games, which they then assume isn't spam, because they weren't intending to spam, even though the rules points out that such behaviour is still spam. I also wonder why they believe such comments can actually be considered feedback of anything. Got one before, going something along the lines of "I don't play puzzle games, so I won't review this game", just shorter, which is spam anyway, because it is utterly irrelevant.

That's just stupid if people think "don't spam" means "don't advertise," not "be useful." Then again, those same people probably don't read the rules (carefully). In fact, this gives me an idea:

Another pro: When people find out that AP exists. When they want to find out what AP is, they read the rules. See below for the stipulation.

Another con: People will read the rules to find out what AP is, but then they don't read the rules carefully enough to find out that "don't spam" means "be useful."
recneps1337
recneps1337
453 posts
Nomad

PROS it lets you get progressivly cooler armatars

CONS makes you sad when you see someone with a better amartour than yours

plz dont correct my spelling i like thinking i spell everything right eaven if it is not eaven a word like vniqsjdcuhediu

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

PROS: I have no doubt that the admins will change the system into one that will make spam a harder way to do things in AG3. I also think that if used properly the system is great. Armatars are fun to unlock and it is great when you see something new and seeing your new rank next to your name.

CONS: People who go..."I can take the time to write a awesome comment and get 25 points for a merit for the time it takes to post 5 normal comments...or...I can spam 100 useless comments and get 200 AP. I'M TOTALLY GONNA BEAT FIRETAIL MADNESS"

Overall I like the AP system and there is nothing wrong with it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Another pro: When people find out that AP exists. When they want to find out what AP is, they read the rules. See below for the stipulation.

No, most of the time they either bug other users or post it in the Forums without reading the stickies.

People will read the rules to find out what AP is, but then they don't read the rules carefully enough to find out that "don't spam" means "be useful."

From past experience, no not many do read the rules.
johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

Pros- It shows how active you are.
Cons- It can lead to spamming just for points.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

I agree with johnmerz. Spamming for points really does happen a lot.
Pros: You can unlock all sorts of stuff.
Cons: I can't really think of any at this time.

OoberxAllen
OoberxAllen
147 posts
Nomad

I have too agree with almost everyone else. It's great to see who's been around and unlock stuff and have the sense of accomplishment. On the other hand people can get frustrated trying to rank up and the spam can gt horrendous for the sake of points

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

From past experience, no not many do read the rules.

To be serious, who does really? People these days don't want to read long term and agreement or rule stuff. But it'd be nice if they read it, or even read the stickies. The stickies are the same just slightly shorter.
Pros- It shows how active you are.
Cons- It can lead to spamming just for points.

You pretty much said what was generally said in this thread (lol that doesn't sound right but whatever).
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

To be serious, who does really? People these days don't want to read long term and agreement or rule stuff.

I do.
I also lurk before making a post or comment on a new site, to see what is expected and who I should steer clear of.
I always read the TaC/ToS for a new programme or service as well.

One thing, though: The rules are rather hard to find as a newbie. You go to the help page, and there will be a link there, or you find the right sticky, and there will be a link. And then there are other stickies and so on (and I really hope they fix the help page up properly for the launch of AGv3, I would do it for them, but I am getting as much of a sneak peek on what is going to happen as everyone else, and it is pretty hard to write instructions for something you can't see).
dragonico
dragonico
474 posts
Nomad

Pros: you get better armatars and your rank goes higher
Cons: Spamming, takes a lot of time

evman1234
evman1234
31 posts
Nomad

Pros: very good system for how much a player is into the site
Cons: hard to gain