ForumsThe TavernZombies and their Apocalypses

41 4369
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

No, this is not another one of those "what would u do if there wuz a zombie apocalypse????" thread.

Zombies are appearing more and more in video games, and I've seen them in increasing amounts in other media as well in the past 5 or so years; mostly having some relation to a "zombie apocalypse" or something along those lines. I've even seen a decent amount of threads pertaining to the subject here in the AG forums, the most famous being the old ZSC, which had several thousand posts before it was discontinued.

But why all the zombies? Who came up with the idea that they will suddenly create some sort of apocalypse? What is the appeal?

Can someone please explain this craze to me?

• 41 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Well, an animal mauling apart a slow moving organism will almost certainly put it to rest.

If they were anything like the ones from the walking dead series they would likely eat what's trying to eat it before things got that far. Even so it's still common for a predator to leave plenty of remains behind. The zombie may just be inconvenienced by the attack, the same could go for having a shattered body from a fall.

Though this does give me one idea that a population could survive just fine in an arctic environment. Being frozen sold due to the cold would be an inconvenience to a zombie in a location with seasonal weather, but in a colder environment where it's like that all the time the zombie wouldn't be able to make it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Though this does give me one idea that a population could survive just fine in an arctic environment. Being frozen sold due to the cold would be an inconvenience to a zombie in a location with seasonal weather, but in a colder environment where it's like that all the time the zombie wouldn't be able to make it.

Or a desert dehydrating the rotting flesh and killing the cells....

walking dead series

Haven't watched that one yet.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I think that the zombies in I Am Legend would be... Dead again I guess? Before the sun gone down. Their bodies would already dissolve, and the deadly bacteria in the air of the post-apocalyptic city would destroy what's ever left of the brain... They still need their brain intact for them to survive right?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Of the 600 million survivors worldwide, only 12 million were naturally immune to the virus. The rest have degenerated into hairless, aggressive beings referred to as "Darkseekers,". The Darkseekers are so named for hiding during daylight due to a painful intolerance of UV radiation.

Nope Sens, they're not zombies, for one there's a cure that can turn them back to humans; and you can't reincarnate the dead.

Also, watch the alternate ending, shows the humanity left in them. Definitely not your undead corpses.

SquirrelMaster0282
SquirrelMaster0282
454 posts
Nomad

the zombie story originated a long time ago when people tried to bring the dead back to life as a sole-less being which then evolved into a story of zombies rising from the dead to eat peoples brain this story is the one that people made movies out of and that story evolved to. zombies where possible as a sickness that turned a normal person into a flesh eating monster.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Another interesting thing to add to this thread is the CDC had put out what to do to prepare for a zombie apocalypse.

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

SquirrelMaster0282
SquirrelMaster0282
454 posts
Nomad

@MageGrayWolf

lol thats so funny

SquirrelMaster0282
SquirrelMaster0282
454 posts
Nomad

after reading all the links i think ill make a zombie emergency kit just in case

AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

I seriously love Danny and Sandy as zombies. My god, why didn't I see this before Halloween?

On topic.

Most of the appeal zombies hold today is as a metaphor for consumerism. Zombies are uniform - there is no difference between any of them, they can't think for themselves, all they have is their instinct. And all they want is to eat your brains, for no reason at all and always more, more, more. The fear comes from knowing you can't stop them; there's just too many of them. It's partly a fear of the masses - it's the fear of people that's hidden behind the zombie facade.

There's also the aspect of something risen from death - it's unnatural, wrong and it shouldn't exist. This aspect is also present in vampires. Although vampires on the whole represent the forbidden and foreign, instead of the uniform.

The primary fear of zombies lies in their number. In every zombie movie, novel, game this has always been true - the zombies never stop, coming wave after wave in seemingly endless numbers. But in the end, there can only be as many zombies as there were/are humans. If that's any consolation.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Most of the appeal zombies hold today is as a metaphor for consumerism.

not just consumerism but a wide range of social commentaries. It was in the original Dawn Of The Dead where they were used specifically as a metaphor for consumerism.
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

not just consumerism but a wide range of social commentaries. It was in the original Dawn Of The Dead where they were used specifically as a metaphor for consumerism.

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant.

I'm mixing words this late in the evening, apparently.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Nah. Look here.

I wish the general public of zombie-crazed people would read that. Maybe it would finally put an end to all this zombie apocalypse brouhaha for them to know that, even if this were to ever happen, they wouldn't need to worry about anything except rotting corpses piling up all over the place.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

If it keeps all the crazy zombie people occupied, then I have no complaints. And the zombie craze has inspired some nice movies and games. The idea of zombies in real life is ridiculous though, but who knows?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

If it keeps all the crazy zombie people occupied, then I have no complaints.

It doesn't just keep them occupied; it feeds them, which causes them to become more zombie-crazed. There were definitely far fewer people discussing how to prepare for a zombie apocalypse before the media made it a mainstream thing.

Some people take it so seriously that you have to wonder if they actually believe it could ever happen.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Some people take it so seriously that you have to wonder if they actually believe it could ever happen.

I've met some of those people before.

On a side note, I found the advertisment on this thread to be ironic.

(P.S, I hope the pic works, I never can get the pictures to work on this website, here's the link [url=http://imgur.com/VGSj9]just in case
)
Showing 16-30 of 41