ForumsThe Tavern[ans] why do you have to be 13?

19 3497
ultimatesanta
ultimatesanta
91 posts
Shepherd

why do you think we have to 13 to be on armor games? i mean to have an account

• 19 Replies
recneps1337
recneps1337
453 posts
Nomad

it was for legalization reason for countries other than the usa i think and because they didnt want to be sued for reasons of age they banned all <13yearolds or something like that and if your not 13 dont say it on the threads i mean realy thats rule 101for making sure you get away with a crime

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

This should probably answer the majority of your questions on the subject.

recneps1337
recneps1337
453 posts
Nomad

ernie how are you not a mod?

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

The reason is because I think that there are legal issues where you have to be 13 or over in order to "socialize" or whatever, online. (That's just my thoughts on it, probably not true.)

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I think that there are legal issues where you have to be 13 or over in order to "socialize" or whatever, online.

You're on the right track, but no. This is the reason why you have to be 13:

The United States has a federal law that we must follow as an Internet business, that states we are not allowed to store any information about users under the age of 13 without parental consent.

What I'm wondering is if this site were to be based in a different country that did not have this federal law, would users still get banned just for being under a certain age?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

What I'm wondering is if this site were to be based in a different country that did not have this federal law, would users still get banned just for being under a certain age?

I would think so. The site is made in America, and they're not legally allowed to keep any persons info if they're under 13.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

The site is made in America, and they're not legally allowed to keep any persons info if they're under 13.

But, hypothetically, if the server were to be relocated to a different country and the admins were to move to that same country and run the site from there, would the federal law still apply?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

But, hypothetically, if the server were to be relocated to a different country and the admins were to move to that same country and run the site from there, would the federal law still apply?

Probably not. I don't think theres a law here preventing kids from giving out their information. And I don't see how people overseas will need to apply by our laws unless something extreme happens that we feel the need to try a charge them. Like if the information given out leads to an actual crime, they might bring that up to make their case better.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Oh hi I'm Ernie if I move to Russia are the laws of the USA enforced on me?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Federal law. If the underage users were actually smart then they would keep their ages concealed until they are old enough to be on the site without being permanently banned.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Oh hi I'm Ernie if I move to Russia are the laws of the USA enforced on me?

Hi, Ernie.

I guess I didn't make it clear that I was inquiring about whether or not the law would still apply to underage people living in the USA if the site were to be based in a different country.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Nobody but Ernie's link seemed to have answered it fully correctly. The reason is that it's illegal for any website to store any data of a user who is under 13 without parental consent. Since this is pretty much impossible to do with the amount of users they have, they just say that nobody under 13 can join.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Federal law. If the underage users were actually smart then they would keep their ages concealed until they are old enough to be on the site without being permanently banned.

I didn't, never got banned either.

I guess I didn't make it clear that I was inquiring about whether or not the law would still apply to underage people living in the USA if the site were to be based in a different country.

I'm pretty sure that would be okay, I'm also pretty sure it would be easy enough to google laws about age restrictions on websites
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I bet a quarter of ag is underaged.

A quarter? CLose to half, at least.

Are these completely made up statistics taking into consideration all the people who do not have accounts? Because all of those underage people are here legally; as long as they don't have accounts, they ain't breakin' the law.

But no, it's unlikely that half of the entire population of members here are 12 or under. There may be a fair percentage of closet youngsters with accounts here, but it's nowhere near 50%.

I'm also pretty sure it would be easy enough to google laws about age restrictions on websites

It's more okay just to ask it here and wait for someone to answer you, so you don't have to go through the trouble of finding the answer yourself in a mess of obscure search results that somehow jumble the words in your search and give you results that just barely have something to do with what you actually want to know.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

It's unlikely as the law states that the website itself is not allowed to store information on users under the age of 13. However either most companies abide by this law, or variations of this law are present in the vast majority of countries.

Showing 1-15 of 19