ForumsThe Tavern[duplicate] PROTECT-IP

15 3465
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

(No, I didn't intentionally put all capital letters in the name. That's just what it is.)

Link to video

According to the video, there is this new bill introduced into Congress called PROTECT-IP. It claims to be an attempt to stop piracy and whatnot.

But according to the video, the bill has the power to censor and shut down whole internet sites "dedicated to copyright infringement". This, well, is bad news for internet sites everywhere. I can't explain all of it without getting too wordy, so just watch the video. But this is the basic idea of it.

So, thoughts? Is it real? Can it really censor the Internet and make it "less safe and reliable?" Or is it just an overreaction?

• 15 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

If this actually does go into effect, I can see a massive protest taking place in the near-future. And since the government is already being protested at this time, the fact that they're taking a step that would interfere with so many people's lives almost seems like they're trying to drive themselves into the ground.

There's another thread just like this one, but I prefer to post here than in the WEPR.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

If this actually does go into effect, I can see a massive protest taking place in the near-future. And since the government is already being protested at this time, the fact that they're taking a step that would interfere with so many people's lives almost seems like they're trying to drive themselves into the ground

I don't understand it either. I also wouldn't be surprised if they actually started blocking sites as freely as the video said they would.

There's another thread just like this one, but I prefer to post here than in the WEPR.

I looked around for a thread like mine, but I didn't find one. Not surprising, since I didn't look in the WEPR.
chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Oh dang....if the government passes this and pisses off every hacker on the internet....it's going to hit the fan...HARD. Not to mention all the general people who would protest....

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Well it would definatley help the gaming industry quite a bit.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

It seems like this bill is supposed to prevent hacking, piracy, etc., but I also saw this:

But according to the video, the bill has the power to censor and shut down whole internet sites "dedicated to copyright infringement". This, well, is bad news for internet sites everywhere. I can't explain all of it without getting too wordy, so just watch the video. But this is the basic idea of it.

Does this bill put Armor Games in danger at all if passed?
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I don't know, it might. If Armor Games attracts the attention of the government, it will. It says in the video that sites can be shut down by posting only one link that will be considered against the new law.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I don't know, it might. If Armor Games attracts the attention of the government, it will. It says in the video that sites can be shut down by posting only one link that will be considered against the new law.

If that's so, then can't trolls use that as a cheap website killer?
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Theres a banner against internet censorship on websites like porOmegle. Omegle.

I'm against it. Everyone should be. Everyone, please make sure you youtell congress not to censor the internet if you live in the USA.

Yes. If a single user posts something that could go against copyright laws, the whole website could be shut down.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Yes. If a single user posts something that could go against copyright laws, the whole website could be shut down

It sounds so abusable that all forums would be shut down immedietly after.

I really think that this time they are going further than china even thought of going.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Good thing this is just like any of the other dozens of bills that have never passed.

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

They better not block Armor Games and they better not block Youtube or....I would get angry.....

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

They better not block Armor Games and they better not block Youtube or....I would get angry.....

They better not pass the bill at all.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Yes. If a single user posts something that could go against copyright laws, the whole website could be shut down.

That right there is a good enough reason not to pass the bill at all. This bill could shut down Wikipedia, Facebook, Youtube, and any other site that allows people to post anything at all; which is just about every site in existence.

So if the bill does get passed, all the government will have done is reverse the entire computer age and set us back decades.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

The best part about this bill is that if it is passed, I'll still have the pirate bay and you guys won't.

But seriously, other countries will consider this too. The Australian Labor Party had plans for an internet filter I'm not entirely sure what happened to it.

Showing 1-14 of 15