ForumsThe Tavern[Necro] The Things You Pronounce

40 18028
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

What things do you pronounce differently from other people? How? Why?

Caramel.

I say it as CAR. A. MELL. (sometimes sounds like MALL). I'm from New York, what did you expect?

• 40 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Another word I apparently mispronounce: syrup. The intended pronunciation is "SEE-rup", and "SUHR-up" is also acceptable. But I've always pronounced it as a one-syllable word, "SURP".

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Another word I apparently mispronounce: syrup. The intended pronunciation is "SEE-rup", and "SUHR-up" is also acceptable.

I originally didn't know that the "SEE-rup" pronunciation even existed. I just pronounce it "SUHR-up".

But I've always pronounced it as a one-syllable word, "SURP".

Ha nice that's definitely easier to say
aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

Silent L, pronounced sam-mon.

aactually i think its sam-men that easier to read
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

aactually i think its sam-men that easier to read

Depends how you read it I suppose. Saying Sam-min (as in the start of minute) would be incorrect. There's definitely a lower pitch sound at the o/e part.
aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

wait Sam-min also sounds right or am i just saying salmon wrong i m not sure...

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

My good ol' Texan accent (I'm not lying!) mangles up few words I say. Examples: How y'all din (doing)? It's become a problem.

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

I used to pronounce Illinois, Ill-in-eyes
apparently that is not how you pronounce it.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I'm not great with foreign words, such as "Jalapeno". The correct way to pronounce this word is "hall-a-PEN-yo", but like many other Americans, I've always said "hal-a-PEEN-yo" ("hal" as in Hal Leonard).

And then there's Israel, which I've always pronounced incorrectly. When I read it in my head, I pronounce it correctly, but when I'm speaking it, I always pronounce it "IZ-a-rel".

gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

I pronounce everything correctly.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I pronounce everything correctly.

Or at least you think you do :P

There's definitely some word out there that you don't say correctly, whether it's because you learned it wrong, misread it, or have never seen it before and it has some funky trick to it.

The correct way to pronounce this word is "hall-a-PEN-yo", but like many other Americans, I've always said "hal-a-PEEN-yo"

I thought there was a tilda over the N in jalapeno, making it have that a-ish sound, which would make it pronounced like, "Hal-uh-peen-yo" Same thing with Pinata, it's pronounced like, "Peen-an-ta." I may be wrong though.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Or at least you think you do :P
I always think conciously about how to pronounce words so that I get them right...
There's definitely some word out there that you don't say correctly, whether it's because you learned it wrong, misread it, or have never seen it before and it has some funky trick to it.
I was speaking specifically about the English language. I know every single word in biology and they're supposed to be "hard to pronounce": my arse...
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I was speaking specifically about the English language.

*Shrug* There's many, many words in English, if I were to show you a lot of words that you've never seen before and have you pronounce them, chances are you wouldn't pronounce at least one of them correctly.

I know every single word in biology

Don't speak in absolutes, it just makes you look foolish when someone brings up something that defies that.

Btw, how would you pronounce Jalapeno?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Btw, how would you pronounce Jalapeno?

According to this site, the correct pronunciation is "hah-lah-PEHN-yo", which is just a variation of the spelling of the correct pronunciation I mentioned earlier.

Just further proof that I pronounce it incorrectly. :P
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I try to pronounce things correctly, but I used to have trouble saying "hospital". I used to leave the s out for some reason.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Well, let's see. This is a Western United States accent, it's pretty much spoken west of the Rockies in America.
General pointers to my accent: the prognosis is not good for any consonant not in the beginning of the word. "T" becomes "D", "NT" in the middle of the word usually disappears mysteriously, "T"s and "G"s at the ends of words disappear. See, I'm like a magician.
Vowels usually just get shortened, because I'm lazy like that. If there are two vowels, and both are supposed to be pronounced, I usually just skip the second and go with the first.
Some examples...
"Being" becomes "bein'" or sometimes "bean"
"What are you doing" becomes "Whaddaya doon?"
"Mountain/Fountain/etc" becomes "Mou'in/Fou'in/etc"
"I'm hunting a wild koala bear" becomes "I'm hun'in' a wild kwala bear"
"Everything" becomes "ev'rytheen"
"Forty-two" becomes "fordeetoo"
And I say "caramel" "Kar-mel"

Showing 16-30 of 40