ForumsThe Tavern[Necro] The Things You Pronounce

40 18027
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

What things do you pronounce differently from other people? How? Why?

Caramel.

I say it as CAR. A. MELL. (sometimes sounds like MALL). I'm from New York, what did you expect?

• 40 Replies
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

I'm from the south but generally speak without even a hint of an accent. However, I say eggs like A ggs, What the heck is what the heyuck, and 'know' sounds british lol.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I always think conciously about how to pronounce words so that I get them right...

I used to think I spoke with a perfect American accent, and that every single word I said was 100% correct, but when I moved to the States, I learnt I had a extreme Russian accent. Don't assume you pronounce everything perfectly, there's surely more than 50 words in the English language you will not be able to pronounce
drgmstr123
drgmstr123
35 posts
Nomad

I have a New Jersey accent and when I moved out to Oregon I always say Or-E-gon when everyone who is from there say Or-E-gen.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

I just noticed I pronounce &quotronounce" like &quotruh-nownts." How is it correctly pronounced?

-I thought there was a tilda over the N in jalapeno, making it have that a-ish sound, which would make it pronounced like, "Hal-uh-peen-yo" Same thing with Pinata, it's pronounced like, "Peen-an-ta." I may be wrong though.

Pinata is pronounced like, "Peen-Ya-Ta." It has a &quoteen" because in Spanish, an "i" is pronounced like, "ee." An "e" is pronounced like "eh."
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I just noticed I pronounce &quotronounce" like &quotruh-nownts." How is it correctly pronounced?

Like "Pro-nownce"

From the one you gave, you're making a "u" sound where the "o" sound should be.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Another word I've noticed I mispronounce: penguin. The correct way to pronounce this word is "PENG-guin", but all my life I thought it was pronounced "PANG-guin", and to this day I still pronounce it that way.

BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

Vegetable. I pronounce it as "Veh-dge-et-able". Not really sure how to write that out. Vuh-get-a-bull. But I do it on purpose, to remember how to spell it.

thisis17charcters
thisis17charcters
41 posts
Nomad

For mellee, I noticed most people pronounce it may-lay

I also saw a video of someone pronouncing it me-lee.

Now I'm the one scrub to pronounce it mell-e

ermassa
ermassa
11 posts
Nomad

That's interesting, I pronounce it 'mell-ay', sort of a hybrid between your examples!

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Pretty old thread... necro'ed... locked.

Showing 31-40 of 40