ForumsThe TavernSanta is an Anagram for Satan

31 5372
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

So now I've gotten your attention, my question for you all is, how do you usually spend Christmas? Will this year's be any different? What about people who aren't Christian (This greedy atheist still does, if only for family gathering and the presents).

• 31 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

how do you usually spend Christmas?

Pretty much the traditional way, save me personally going to the Christmas Eve service at church. Christmas, despite the name, is more an American holiday now than a religious one. That, and everyone in my family but me is religious so they would celebrate it anyways, I might as well too.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Christmas Eve service at church.

Just a question, do you go because you genuinely believe? I doubt so actually.
Malachite
Malachite
12 posts
Nomad

Well my parents are divorced so it depends on which parent I just happen to be with. I go to New Jersey with my dad for the holidays because we have family up there, and if I am with my mom then I go to my grandparents house surrounded by family from all over the world. To answer question number two yes this year will be different from last year because I am with my mom.

What about people who aren't Christian

Many people still enjoy the holiday as it could mean something for them as well. Many of my Muslim friend celebrate this holiday though I am not entirely clear on if they celebrate it for just presents and family or for what ever it is supposed to mean now.
Interesting title too by the way.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Interesting title too by the way.

I figured it would get more responses then ''Christmas is coming''. Haha.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

well im jewish and live in israel so no christmas for me . we have hanuka but i like the christmas spirit more...

i used to fly to germany to my grandparents (who are christian) so we usually had some kind of combination of christmas and hanuka.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Just a question, do you go because you genuinely believe? I doubt so actually.

I don't believe at all, and my family knows this. I don't go to the church service either.

"Pretty much the traditional way, save me personally going to the Christmas Eve service at church."

Perhaps you don't know that term, "save (object)" means an exception.
Malachite
Malachite
12 posts
Nomad

I figured it would get more responses then ''Christmas is coming''. Haha.

Certainly got my attention.

well im jewish and live in israel so no christmas for me . we have hanuka but i like the christmas spirit more...

When you say 'i like the christmas spirit more...' do you mean that there are people who do celebrate this holiday who live in Israel?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Hmm I misread Kasic.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Hopefully this christmas is better than last year. Last year was the Christmas where my present was my birthday cake. (It wasn't my birthday.) We usally go to a relatives on Christmas eve, or Christmas day, and have a huge feast.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I think I will do the usual Gourmet evening for our family and ?lovers? I think you say it this way. And then we have a party for everyone who isn't a child from my Grandma,so my nephews and nieces. This is usually very fun. But it is one of the many moments we do nice stuff with the family.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I prepared the anti-idiocy ordnances, but you just happened to trick me Nichodemus.

Susej (soo-sej) is the reversal of Jesus.

Well, since I'm not a loner this year, I'll probably be celebrating with some of my extended family that's left. Mainly the food gatherings. The only difference this year is that I'll actually... no wait, I'm not getting anything.

That's dandy.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

When you say 'i like the christmas spirit more...' do you mean that there are people who do celebrate this holiday who live in Israel?

well technically yes, since israel has jews, muslims and christians. but as i said, i used to fly to germany every christmas so ive experienced the christmas spirit.
BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

So now I've gotten your attention, my question for you all is, how do you usually spend Christmas?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- Alright, I just thought we could get a good discussion out of the title. Well, the way I spend my christmases are, I either stay home with my family and no relatives come over, or I go to Norway and visit relatives.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Does anyone celebrate Christmas differently from others depending on country to country?

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Does anyone celebrate Christmas differently from others depending on country to country?

I don't know. I've never looked into it. I would think there would be some differences...
Showing 1-15 of 31