ForumsThe TavernCaveman Diet

24 4034
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I got put on a cavemen diet, which means, no carbs (rice, potatoes, bread, cereal, noodles) for at least three months. I eat 3 pounds of meat a day, and at least a pound of vegetables. Ice water or black coffee only, no sugar, as beverages. Not allowed fruits, or sugary stuff. Apparently it's so my body starts using my fat as an energy source.

Your thoughts?

• 24 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Your thoughts?

Umm...yes, why? What's the point?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Well does it work? I think its a little odd though. You're skipping out on some very important nutriants. Is it possible you could take pills and still continue this diet.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Which types of meat are you taking? Because some have fillers and additives which would counter the purpose of your diet. Go for the higher quality stuff like from a local butcher than walmart or something. Also, pick fresh or fresh-frozen vegetables instead of canned.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Umm...yes, why? What's the point?

Diet = Lose weight, and bulk up now since I'm being conscripted next year.

You're skipping out on some very important nutriants

Such as? I don't think I am.

Which types of meat are you taking? Because some have fillers and additives which would counter the purpose of your diet. Go for the higher quality stuff like from a local butcher than walmart or something. Also, pick fresh or fresh-frozen vegetables instead of canned.

Can't take canned or preserved meats like ham, so roast chicken, steak, baked fish and the like.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Why don't you just eat a normal diet and work out?
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Such as?

Sugar's pretty important. Salts all those stuff.

Well, despite the fact you're not going to supply your body with glucose for 3 months, I don't know how you'll last through that.

It's good to eat the meat though, I guess it'll kind of make up for the loss of needed resources
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Why don't you just eat a normal diet and work out?

Cause I used to take lots of carbs, and it hindered my weight loss a little even after working out.

Sugar's pretty important. Salts all those stuff.

Ain't a nutrient Sen!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Oh, and fat is converted to glucose. I used to hate bio but.....

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Ain't a nutrient Sen!

Yeaaa, but it's still needed.

Oh, and fat is converted to glucose.

Oh no, I'm forgetting chemistry already, I forgot of this...
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Such as? I don't think I am.

Well whatever nutrients that are more abundant in fruit, and grains, you would be missing out on.

I agree with Kasic. The best way to lose weight and gain muscle is by having a healthy diet and excercising. You lose weight, get stronger, and get healthier all at the same time. While with the caveman diet you just lose weight.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

While with the caveman diet you just lose weight.

Only time will tell whether my dieting and gyming helps!
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

whether my dieting and gyming helps!

Oh. Well then. Seems fine to me. Though I still recommend some nutrients pills so your body doesn't miss out on. THESE. Come on. You know you want to.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Well the reason I'm not allowed fruits is because many of our fruits today have been bred specifically to increase their sugar level, hence making them sweeter.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I'd recommend taking a lemon or lime (or use juice for a marinade) once in a while to prevent scurvy and such things.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Sounds like a stupid diet. No rice, but black coffee is allowed? Since when did cavemen eat like that? ^^
Anyway, popular diets are all crap IMHO. If you want to loose weight, eat half of a normal alimentation (so you don't leave out important nutrients), and do sport regularly. Apparently 15mins of sports a day already show some effect if you do it every day, or let's say 5/7.

Showing 1-15 of 24