ForumsThe TavernEverything Science.

31 7006
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Everything science! Discuss science here!

Now first: I hope that Curiosity will reach mars on a safe journey, and successfully land. I also hope we learn a lot about mars from the crater.

What do you think will Curiosity find? (will it find out that this thread gets locked by Cenere?)

I think Curiosity will find a lot of information about Mars past. (on a side note, I hope we find evidence of microbial life!)

• 31 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

He obviously doesn't mean that, he's talking about the rover they are sending to Mars.

Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

well I hope the mission is a complete success with minimum technical issues or no technical issues at all, & I would love to learn that their is some living organism their or a preserved organism somewhere around mars & that Curiosity has a nice good story to tell us back here in earth.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

(on a side note, I hope we find evidence of microbial life!)

I would be happy even if it wasn't currently living.
Remember123
Remember123
26 posts
Nomad

I think they're gonna find some dirt, rocks and maybe some dead microbs, but we probably wont met aliens.

BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

You do know that the estimated time that Curiosity reaches mars, it'll be like a year from now.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

How is it gonna land?

The way it's displayed here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Science_Laboratory#Landing_system
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

My suggestion is to rotate a weekly topic or until we get bored with one topic and then let a mod change the topic after each discussion is done, to prevent more lapses in polite behaviour.

Anyway, my take: Good that their making progress on the Final Frontier, after all, that's where our future lies.

EvilCandy
EvilCandy
22 posts
Nomad

[url=http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/11/huge-buried-wat/]

I would imagine if there is/was water, there are/were some kind of microscopic life forms. I'm sure we'll find there's at least some kind of tiny life form similar to the "water bear" that can handle the elements and still survive.

We can't be the only planet in our solar system with life...

AiceX
AiceX
24 posts
Nomad

Considering of how vast the universe is, discovering another living species is a high probability, in my opinion, at least.
Whether it'll be found on a planet as close to as, such as Mars, I kind of doubt.
But, I personally believe, somewhere out there, there is more living species.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

We can't be the only planet in our solar system with life...

Sure we can, it's very likely we are. The only planet in our galaxy that has life? Still a possibility that it's a no. Statistically there should be plenty more places in the universe with life, but it doesn't have to be near us. Only 1 in 1000 stars offer a habitable planet, and the chances of life forming on that world is 1 in 200 million. There are only a few places in our solar system that are more likely than others to have life, and only one of them is a planet (they're Enceladus, Mars, Europa, and Titan). One problem is that planets with liquid water on their surface are hard to come by, because they need to be a perfect distance from the star so that the water isn't ice or gas, so earth is a very rare occurrence. Recently though, scientists are pretty sure they found Gliese 851d, a planet with similer conditions to earth (liquid surface and possibly similar weather), and this planet is only 20 light years away (relatively close).
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

The things we have to consider on a planet to have life is "does it have an atmosphere?", or "how big is the planet", another question would be "does it have water?".

That's assuming all organisms require oxygen and water. Remember, there are already certain strains of bacteria on Earth that don't require both to survive.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

GREAT NEWS!

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html

Even if it is not habitable, one of it's moons (if it has any) could be.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

did you know that they found a life supporting planet??

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

did you know that they found a life supporting planet??

Did you know there's been over a page on the thread talking about this already? Also, it's not life supporting, it may have the potential to support life.
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

sorry misinformation...

Showing 1-15 of 31