ForumsThe Tavernquantum physics

9 2536
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

so today my chemistry teacher was explaining quantum mechanics and explained how if electrons had orbits instead of orbitals then they'd run into each other because it has been shown in experiments that electrons can be in two places at once. It all made sense but i was wondering if anyone knew of any articles explaining the experiments that showed electrons could be in two places at once.

• 9 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

I think electrons are never physically in two places at once, it's just that for us it's impossible to measure their exact position, so from our own human point of view we can only list all the points the electrons might be in with their probability.
But I don't really know much about quantum physics, you shouldn't trust me much.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

i meant to say they'd run into themselves. sorry

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I've heard that before, not in much detail however, so I don't really understand it. It is pretty interesting though, how at a subatomic level particles can, like you said, be in two places at once and essentially teleport at random.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Here is a link that I think might explain some stuff.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Interesting subject and I'll get back on that later, but someone bring this up in the Everything Science thread so we can keep all relevant threads in one pile.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

also the p orbital has a hourglass shape. kind of like an 8 or two raindrops with their points touching, and where their points almost touch there is a 0% chance of finding an electron between them, so how does an electron go from one side to the other? because they're electrons. that's the best answer i could get

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I think electrons are never physically in two places at once, it's just that for us it's impossible to measure their exact position, so from our own human point of view we can only list all the points the electrons might be in with their probability.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal states that we can know either the location of an electron, or its spin, but never both.

also the p orbital has a hourglass shape

Came up with a useful way to remember the shapes for my test:

S-Orbital: Sphere
P-Orbital: Peanut
D-Orbital: Dumb-bell
F-Orbital: F**k! What is this?
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

No, p orbitals are dumb bell shaped

Well technically, yes. But then it wouldn't work for my memory device. Only real difference between the basic P and D oribal is that the D orbital is a bit thicker and shorter.

d orbitals and f orbitals and g orbitals are impossibly complex too much so to be drawn!

F Orbitals are very complex, so its not reasonable to see them drawn. G Orbitals haven't been drawn because they're a) Very, very complex, and b) theoretical for the superactinides, which haven't been discovered yet.

As for the D-Orbitals, they have been drawn. Pictures of them are in my textbook. The dx^2-y^2 occupies a planar position on the x and y axis. the dxy is at a 45 degree angle to the x and y axis.

The dyz is the same as a dxy, except that its verticle rather than horizontal on the zy axis. The dxz orbital is staggered between the verticle z and horizonal x axis.

The dz^2 is weird: It looks like a P orbital, standing vertically on the Z axis with a ring around it where the z, x, and y axisies intersect.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Aww, that's not fair! I don't have a d-orbital in mine!!!

When was your textbook published/last updated? Mine was published in '09, so that may have something to do with it. I'm also in an upper level Chemistry class, so that may affect it as well.

Their weight is negligible and is smaller than can be imagined

So small, that their mass doesn't affect the mass of the entire atom. They are infantisimaly small.

We've not been able to synthesise it but apparently the heaviest theoretical element is unsepttrium.

My problem with synthetizing elements is that, if the nucleui stick together even for a fraction of a fraction of a second, it counts. :/

Besides, eventually the size of the nucleus will get so large that the atom will collapse immediately, as it'll be so unstable.

I like Wikipedia too much

True that. And my chemistry teacher is a boss.

They wouldn't be discovered only synthesised by nuclear bombardement of heavier elements which has so far been unsuccessful...

I think it'll only be moderately successful, at best. Again, the size of the nucleus may prevent any larger elements from being synthesized.

you know your stuff...

Thanks bro. I want to make a career in this, so I've read it up alot.
Showing 1-9 of 9