ForumsThe TavernPurpose of meteorology?

40 4544
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

Seriously, why forecast the weather? Example: You have outdoor plans. You want to know if you'll get rained on, right? Just throw an umbrella in the car and bam, problem solved. Need to know the temperature? Why? Just step outside for two seconds and dress accordingly. Even if you're afraid of a cold-front or heat wave later in the day, just pack a jacket and throw it on or off when you need to! I'd like to discuss why anyone should even care about the weather, let alone trying to predict it.

• 40 Replies
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Because forecasters tell you the weather in the future. What if it is sunny and you don't bring an umbrella but what you don't know is that is is supposed to rain hard later on? And if you are going out with friends, where are you packing that jacket? Your XXXXXL pocket?
I care about the weather so I don't get too hot or freeze my *** off or get caught in the rain.
Basically it's nice to know about something that might inturrupt your day later on, at least for me it is.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Because predicting hurricane formation and paths is totally useless right?

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

I know right? Totally pointless. Who cares about that? I don't need someone on the TV to tell me to evacuate, I will go as soon as the wind reaches a speed above normal, and the streets begin to flood.

especially for those who live farther away and drive all the way to the event only to find out that it was cancelled.

That happened to me once and that whole car ride was a waste. We had to head back the next day because they postponed to event to the next month. I think I lost some of my sanity that week.
j_c_mooncity
j_c_mooncity
1,060 posts
Nomad

What about huge storms? They start, but without meteorologists, you could never know when it ends.

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

A lot of sarcasm, I see. :P

What if it is sunny and you don't bring an umbrella but what you don't know is that is is supposed to rain hard later on?

That's why you always have an extra umbrella in the trunk of your car.

And if you are going out with friends, where are you packing that jacket? Your XXXXXL pocket?

Just leave it in a car or something. Are you really even out that long when the weather makes huge temperature changes?

I care about the weather so I don't get too hot or freeze my *** off or get caught in the rain. Basically it's nice to know about something that might inturrupt your day later on, at least for me it is.

Just be prepared. It's a lot easier than checking the weather.

Well, it is nice for knowing what the weather will be in the future, and if you should cancel events and that type of thing. It is indeed useful, especially for those who live farther away and drive all the way to the event only to find out that it was cancelled.

You can always email or call people to tell them that weather has affected the event.

-.- It kind of is. I'm pretty sure a hurricane is huge, and can just be seen visually from plenty distance away before it reaches you. Just stand on top of your house every once and a while and check for hurricanes :P Or just move to Kansas with me where hurricanes are no prob. XD

That happened to me once and that whole car ride was a waste. We had to head back the next day because they postponed to event to the next month. I think I lost some of my sanity that week.

Big deal. You not a fan of road trips?
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

We are getting nowhere.

Meteorology exists for big disaster predictions. Almost everybody would die in the hurricanes if we had nobody to tell us.

A derp.

A herp.

Yeah.

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

We are getting nowhere.

So? I enjoy discussing and debating. Feel free to stay out if you'd like.

Meteorology exists for big disaster predictions. Almost everybody would die in the hurricanes if we had nobody to tell us.

See a previous answer of mine. :P
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Or just move to Kansas with me where hurricanes are no prob. XD

Hurricanes don't happen much there, but large tornadoes do and are much harder to notice because they're more sporadic. Without information that a large rotational airmass is heading your way, looking outside and seeing that it's dark and rainy won't be much concern until your house is gone.
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

Hurricanes don't happen much there, but large tornadoes do and are much harder to notice because they're more sporadic. Without information that a large rotational airmass is heading your way, looking outside and seeing that it's dark and rainy won't be much concern until your house is gone.

I literally watched a tornado form, and actually tear up a few houses near my neighborhood. But, the whole time, I was paying attention and ready do evacuate if it came close. I didn't even watch the weather forecasts.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

A lot of sarcasm, I see. :P

It's not uncalled for.

You're solution to everything is to be prepared for everything, which is frankly very dumb. Why go out of your way to prepare for everything that can possibly happen, when you can know what's going to happen and prepare for only 1 thing?

-.- It kind of is. I'm pretty sure a hurricane is huge, and can just be seen visually from plenty distance away before it reaches you. Just stand on top of your house every once and a while and check for hurricanes :P Or just move to Kansas with me where hurricanes are no prob. XD

Do you seriously not know anything about weather...?

Also, my argument against yours is planing in the future. Let's say you want to have a party in the park in a week. If we didn't know what the weather is going to be, how would we know if it would work out? Nobody wants to have a party in the rain, so your "Just throw an umbrella in the car and bam, problem solved" idea is completely useless. Outdoor plans tend to rely on sunny weather and aren't possible in any other conditions.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

You not a fan of road trips

When it's a road trip that is going across the state into another one, no I'm not.

Are you really even out that long when the weather makes huge temperature changes?

Yes, I have been. When you go to a huge shoppping mall with a bunch for friends you don't come back for a while. =P
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Are you really even out that long when the weather makes huge temperature changes?

Sports games, fairs, amusement parks, outdoor shopping, hiking/camping, lots of things where you're easily out long enough that you want to know what the whether can be.
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

You're solution to everything is to be prepared for everything, which is frankly very dumb. Why go out of your way to prepare for everything that can possibly happen, when you can know what's going to happen and prepare for only 1 thing?

Is it really that hard to leave an umbrella and jacket in a car?

If we didn't know what the weather is going to be, how would we know if it would work out?

First of all, weather forecasting is never perfectly accurate. What if they said 50% chance of rain that day? Same risk as having no forecasting. What if you planned the outdoor party, everyone showed up and it started raining? If that sorry excuse for a park has no shelter, simple, relocate the party to some climate controlled indoors where you should have gone in the first place. And besides, a little water never hurt anyone.

When it's a road trip that is going across the state into another one, no I'm not.

Too bad. I think road trips are the best.

Yes, I have been. When you go to a huge shoppping mall with a bunch for friends you don't come back for a while. =P

Well. Can't stand a little hot or cold on the loooong, outdoor trek back to the car?

Sports games, fairs, amusement parks, outdoor shopping, hiking/camping, lots of things where you're easily out long enough that you want to know what the whether can be.

Just have a jacket and/or umbrella handy. Can I make that more clear? Even especially for hiking and camping, every smart person is prepared.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

First of all, weather forecasting is never perfectly accurate.

Better then nothing.

What if they said 50% chance of rain that day? Same risk as having no forecasting

It's the same risk as having no forecast, but if we had no forecast we wouldn't know this is the risk. And also, in this case it doesn't matter, but in most cases (pretty much every other arrangement of statistics) it does.

simple, relocate the party to some climate controlled indoors

You're saying that as if it's easy to find some place to support a party (that could be an extremely huge party) with literally no word in advance. There aren't just places that are like "ohyea, we'll take 200 people in without notice".

where you should have gone in the first place.

There are plenty of parties you can have for free outside (BBQs, sports, ect) and some parties you can only have outside, so why waste money renting some indoor place if, with a weather forecast, you can be almost certain it can work out outside?

And besides, a little water never hurt anyone.

A) Sure it has
B) Who wants to sit in the rain eating soggy food? And if there are sports involved you can't play on the fields if they are wet.

Too bad. I think road trips are the best.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just agreed that a weather forecast beforehand would have been nice.

Even especially for hiking and camping, every smart person is prepared.

Carrying extra equipment on a hike is a hassle.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Just have a jacket and/or umbrella handy. Can I make that more clear? Even especially for hiking and camping, every smart person is prepared.

Try doing actual mountain hiking with an umbrella and a jacket with you. Not the easiest thing. And it seems your only/main argument is to be prepared.
Showing 1-15 of 40