ForumsThe TavernPurpose of meteorology?

40 4543
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

Seriously, why forecast the weather? Example: You have outdoor plans. You want to know if you'll get rained on, right? Just throw an umbrella in the car and bam, problem solved. Need to know the temperature? Why? Just step outside for two seconds and dress accordingly. Even if you're afraid of a cold-front or heat wave later in the day, just pack a jacket and throw it on or off when you need to! I'd like to discuss why anyone should even care about the weather, let alone trying to predict it.

• 40 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

I am really bored, but I guess my sentence structure is getting progressively worse, so I should probably procrastinate with something else than posting in threads for stupid arguments

One thing, though:

Whichever. Snow plows clear all the snow in the morning. :P

I remember last winter (White Christmas, was awesome), where it was snowing pretty much every day, and Bornholm (a semi-small island near Sweden) was entirely snowed in to the point where most people couldn't go out for one or two weeks, if not more, the sea froze up so no one could come help them, and it was generally really bad not having done any last minute grocery shopping.
Back at my parents, the only issue was that the plough only came around once every three days or so, which made the roads pretty hard to drive on, so we had a lot of fun not going on road trips but staying at home.
Up here at my own place, it was a bit better being a bigger city, but even after a snow plough had been by the traffic was slow as heck and most of the cars were driving in walking speed.
Most of the school kids got send home because the buses couldn't drive in the weather, and again, this was after the ploughs had been on the roads.
Snow

Anyway, enjoy the argument on opinion!
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

But you are driving in the morning. When its snowing. So either a) you get stuck behind a plow or b) you are driving in the snow and go potentially off into a ditch.

Snow plows in my area go at 5 a.m. :P

We are both in classes all day. Inside a building, with an opaque roof. It would actually take longer to go outside than to check the weather on my phone. And often things clear up, or get cloudy later. I don't care about the current weather, just the future weather.

One word. Windows.

But, there is a much greater chance of horrible weather occurring if it IS in the forecast.

You saying the forecast affects the weather??? The forecast affects weather as much as polar bears affect the desert.

[/quote]Past weather patterns can give you much insight into future demand for many products and services.

Is upping the prices in July based more on past weather, or common sense?

[quote] Basically, just because you think something is useless does not mean it is.

True, but I can still try to convince people.

I wouldn't have brought any, because I assumed they would useless.

So you're unpleasant for a while. Big deal.

remember last winter (White Christmas, was awesome), where it was snowing pretty much every day, and Bornholm (a semi-small island near Sweden) was entirely snowed in to the point where most people......

This incident happened with forecasting and therefore demonstrates that disasters still occur with your precious weather forecasting. Thank you for defeating yourself with this.

P.S. I have seen inception. :P
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

What the hey? i messed up with the quotes in case you didn't notice. and sorry for this double post :P

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I'm confused.

Sorry, spelling error. "would know"

Not nice enough to have a decent shelter like every single park in my county.

They could be nicer then the parks in your county, just lacking a shelter.

I literally play tackle football with my friends all the time, and with no pads. I haven't broken a single bone, not even after being slammed to the ground during a tackle

Have you ever done it in the mud?

No one agrees because they're too naive to even realize that meteorology is pointless. (No offense :P)

Definitely JAMMESS... You can tell when arrogance is the most prominent trait.

You didn't reply to my hiking example scenario...Do I smell your defeat?

No, you're scenario is just irrelevant to weather. But if you want a response, i would just hand the friend a stick.

Whatever 'jammess' is, it's not in the dictionary. :P

He's an arrogant banned user who keeps coming back.

??? If winds start getting high, evacuate. bam. problem solved.

It's not always obvious that it's to bad, and once it is it may be to late.

Past weather has no effect on future weather. Are you saying that since it rained today, it will rain today every year? That's inductive reasoning, and is useless

We can't know that temperature has been rising and weather patterns have been going crazy if we didn't have what past temperatures and weather patterns recorded.

And finally, i present a situation for you. I want to fly out to florida for some SCUBA diving, because there is no good SCUBA diving in New York. I don't look at any forecast so i don't know if what the weather is there. When i arrive in Florida, it turns out a storm has come and the waters are too dangerous to SCUBA dive in. The storm lasts the entire trip, and so my entire trip is ruined and i have to go back to New York now. Don't tell me "go do something else", i don't want to do something else, i want to go SCUBA diving. Don't tell me "go stand on your roof and check for the storm", i can't see from the top of America to the bottom. Don't tell me "bring SCUBA equipment that will let you dive during dangerous storms", that doesn't exist.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I'm bored, so i decided to make a second situation (you still need to reply to the first too).

A commercial airplane takes off on a cross atlantic flight. As it turns out, in the middle of the atlantic there is a huge storm, and even on a full tank, the plane didn't have enough gas to avoid it. The plane is forced to turn around and head back to it's starting location as it is too dangerous to fly through the storm and not possible to fly around it. Now wouldn't it have been nice if someone could have predicted there would have been a storm there? Don't tell me they should have stood on the roof of a tower and looked out over the ocean, you can't see the middle of the atlantic from anywhere but the middle of the atlantic. Don't tell me they should have prepared, they had a full tank of gas. Don't tell me they should just fly through, after all water never hurt anybody, because then you'll show once and for all that you're not sane, you can't fly a plane through a lightning storm, that's suicide.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

It's not always obvious that it's to bad, and once it is it may be to late

Usually it's dead still before the brunt of the storm hits.
KMRaider
KMRaider
197 posts
Scribe

IS this really a question?

A couple examples I haven't seen: What if I'm flying from Florida to Minnesota, and because there's no meteorology, I don't know that there will be a big snowstorm in Minnesota when I plan to land, one that will likely cause the plane to crash?
What if I'm on a ship in the ocean and am unaware that there'll be a storm in a certain area that could sink my ship because there's no meteorology?

Meteorology is very useful for a variety of things. I know this is Wikipedia, but read this section and tell me that meteorology is useless.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

It seems like Afterburner has abandoned this argument.

What if I'm on a ship in the ocean and am unaware that there'll be a storm in a certain area that could sink my ship because there's no meteorology?

Then you are in huge trouble my friend. But real captains can smell a storm. :P

The only reason that I can find that you wouldn't need to use meteorology is if you are a hermit and never leave your house. And even then, there are flash floods and snow storms and, well everything else so I guess I shot down my own reasoning.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

And if you are going out with friends, where are you packing that jacket? Your XXXXXL pocket?

hahaha agreed. weathermen allow people to prepare in advance so their days go nice and smoothly.
Showing 31-39 of 40