ForumsThe TavernMath Thread

386 73052
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

This thread is just what the title says it is. It is all about Math. You can post math jokes(the jokes don't have to be good), math questions, what you like about Math, or even why you hate Math.

My math joke: Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by amps.

• 386 Replies
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

laughs at joke*
So what now? Should we talk about the "trinary" system? lol (Same as binary, except that it is 3^x instead of 2^x.) It is much better than binary, in that it can store exponentially more data, in fewer digits. For example, in 10 digits of binary, there are 1,024 (2^10) possible combinations, but in 10 digits of "trinary", there are 59,049 (3^10) possible combinations, more than 50x more, in just 10 digits!

obviously you didnt read the previous posts. And calculators arent all emcompassing bits of technology.
Just because something isnt on a calculator doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Thats just being exceedingly ignorant on your part.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Are we allowed to make a trigintisexary system? I think it would be called? so like x21 would be 3321... Or something like that. Iduno.

Of course you can! Something else you can do is is a 30-ary system that's based on on the keyboard layout: 1-10 is (qwertyuiop), 11-20 is (asdfghjkl, and of course 21-30 is (zxcvbnm,.). (these are the standard keyboard rows, in case you are not following). The advantage of this is q) its easier to type than if 1-26 were in alphabetical order and with 1-4 numbers at the beginning (quick! what would 17 be? I thought so.) and w) basic addition/subtraction is far easier, Observe:

what is EP (100) plus PW (302)? Well, obviously it is DS (402), but you can tell this without having to convert back and forth between base ten by looking at the layout of the comp.

So, P is the last "number" on the third row. So, it "drops" whatever digit it is being added to down one row on the keyboard. So, _p + _w = _S and E_ + P_ = D_. So, this arithmetic is actually very simple!

Similarly: qwerty (7034763) + asdfgh (74323803) = sfhk;x (81358566)

This took me about 5 seconds to compute, which is less than than it took me in decimal (crazy!).
johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

It looks like my "trinary" system really got some discussion while I was gone... There's a wiki on it, and it's actually called Ternary...

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

This math is starting to get over my head. It seems though ternary(trinary) is not used for that much.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Sorry for double post but I have a new math joke.

We can't tell for sure whether parachutes are safe and effective because there has never been a properly randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the effectiveness.

If you don't get the joke just say so and I will explain it.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Jeez. I only just started understanding binary and this trinary or whatever sounds ridiculous.

It's just counting in base 3.

Same here. And what would the point of trinary be? How would it help us?

Base 3 is more ideal for a computer to operate in than base 2.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Base 3 is more ideal for a computer to operate in than base 2.

Why would it be more ideal? What would the numbers stand for?

In binary, 1 is on and 0 is off. It would not work this way with trinary.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

It might be 0 is off 1 is on and 2 is standby or something. I have no idea.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Why would it be more ideal?

It takes a third of the amount of data.

What would the numbers stand for?

It could be a few things, it's normally represented as -1, 0, and 1, but if you're building a quantum computer, you're using the quantum superposition principle that in a physical system, something can exist in all states at once, so one circuit can hold 2 states at once, meaning 0, 1, and 1 and 0 at the same time. The first method of -1, 0, and 1 can be achieved most simply by having 3 states for a transistor, closed, half open, and open, but it's hard to get such precision and there are other ways to do this.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

I'm sure its not as complicated as it sounds, but all that...

It could be a few things, it's normally represented as -1, 0, and 1, but if you're building a quantum computer, you're using the quantum superposition principle that in a physical system, something can exist in all states at once, so one circuit can hold 2 states at once, meaning 0, 1, and 1 and 0 at the same time. The first method of -1, 0, and 1 can be achieved most simply by having 3 states for a transistor, closed, half open, and open, but it's hard to get such precision and there are other ways to do this.

...goes completely over my head. Which is kinda sad since my mom was a computer programmer for 15 years and my dad still is one.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Well, computer science and computer programming aren't the same thing, but somebody who knows one of the two, generally knows the other. I'm sure they could explain it to you if you ask.

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

I have asked, but they get extremely frustrated when I don't understand something perfectly the moment they are done explaining. So I've stopped coming to them for answers.
Usually I ask people on here or google it if I need math help now.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

3 states for a transistor, closed, half open, and open

But why would you want it to be half open?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Maybe as an auxiliary mode so it saves the power source, but the object remains usable.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

To have another number to work with. Using only full open (1) and full closed (0) you have access to 2(number of states)^1(number of runs)=2 different combinations (0,1) running the transistor once, 2^2=4 combinations (00,01,10,11) running it twice, 2^3=8 (000,001,010,011,100,101,110,111) running it three times and so on. (the fact that they are calculated with 2^x also explains why data capacity in USB drives and such are always numbers like 256, 64 or 128).
Using full open (1), full close (0) and half open (2) you would have 3^1=3 combinations with one run, 3^2=9 with two runs, 3^3=27 with three runs and so on. So a transistor working with a base 3 system would be able to do 27 actions instead of 8 using the same energy and time.
Showing 106-120 of 386