ForumsWEPRDo Grades Prohibit Real Learning?

90 22744
CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

I have recently read an article stating that grades make students only focus on homework and cramming before tests and they don't really absorb the material. to be honest i can agree, as a student i feel that i forget all my information of the years because i only focused on cramming for the test. Do you think that this is true? and what would be a new system to test the intelligence of the modern day student?

• 90 Replies
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Grades are the only way to discern the smarter kids from the not-so-smart. also, it gives kids a goal to strive for.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Grades are the only way to discern the smarter kids from the not-so-smart

If a smart kid messes up on a project and ends up getting a D or C and a not so smart kid does well and gets a B or an A does that mean he is smarter? No, he just did one project better than someone else who didn't do it so well. Fair way to say who is smarter? Not really.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

okay...let's see if I got this all right:

1.the current system is corrupt, and more focused on the number than the student, an I completely agree on that, but the problem is that any system we create to check a student's intelligence can be exploited for loopholes in the system. it would be hard to find in the beginning, but eventually somebody will figure out a way to beat the system and render it just as corrupt as this one.

2. work ethic is just as important as intelligence, and I conclude that unless they develop a proper work ethic, the student's intelligence will either be rendered useless, or won't be factored into how smart the student really is. the current grading system really shows a mixture of intelligence and work ethic (like the eddison quote: genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration). for example: I'm currently 2nd best in my technology class, even though I know all of the material, and am ahead of my class in the lessons. It's because after I get ahead, I goof off until the class catches up. in fact I'm currently typing this post from that class.

I have to leave, but I will add on to this analysis later.

-Blade

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Alright, now I am back to finish the analysis.

3. the student's maturity factor is kinda in the same area as work ethic, but I've seen people with good work ethics, but are very immature. you can work hard all you like, unless the person doing the work sees how important the work is, chances are he won't retain the information that was taught to him, which could easily effect him in the long term.

this is the end of my analysis, feel free to oppose.

-Blade

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

If no, then put up with this system.

Isn't this the era of change and progress? Just because something was done a certain way for a long time dosen't mean it was right or perfect.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Invent a better system if you can or else shut up keep working old school.

What is your problem? He was simply asking a fair question and you have to barge all in here high-and-mighty and decide to override the ongoing discussion with a comment that had very little purpose except to provoke people to respond! Just because he doesn't have a better idea at the moment doesn't mean that there isn't an alternative. Please be more respectful in the future.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Sorry if I sounded rude but i dont know how else it could b said.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

What is your problem? He was simply asking a fair question and you have to barge all in here high-and-mighty and decide to override the ongoing discussion with a comment that had very little purpose except to provoke people to respond! Just because he doesn't have a better idea at the moment doesn't mean that there isn't an alternative. Please be more respectful in the future.

First of all,i was not talking to you.
Secondly I just gave my opinion, I cant do a thing if it starts a discussion.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

The title of the thread doesn't say give ideas on how to improve it, it just asks for an opinion on whether we think grades prohibit actual learning. That is what people are doing. If they want to give an idea on how to improve it, great. But they don't need to.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

If a smart kid messes up on a project and ends up getting a D or C and a not so smart kid does well and gets a B or an A does that mean he is smarter? No, he just did one project better than someone else who didn't do it so well. Fair way to say who is smarter? Not really.

In all honesty, I'd rather work with a dumb person that tries hard than I would an intelligent person who is too absent minded to pay attention to stipulations. There are a few instances where stuff like this could happen and it not really be the smart person's fault... like a death in the family or just pure overload on that intelligent person's part... or just a really rectal essay grader. Other then that... there's not much else that would possibly make a smart/intelligent person do bad. If you can't adapt to your situation and do the job that your teacher(s) want from you, then it's your fault. The only time I ever had a problem with this system is when I just flat out didn't care or forgot something and had to rush to get it done 5 minutes before class. Pass or Fail is still a type of grading. Do you want a doctor that hasn't been extensively tested and proven to be a good doctor? ... I sure don't.... and I don't want anyone else doing any other job that hasn't gone through their respective baptism of fire. Slots are limited, money is limited, and life is limited. Because of that, we can't live in this perfect world where everyone gets to do whatever they want for free and no grades. If you don't like that, then go pick up trash. The goal is to get quality people into college so that they fill quality jobs when they get out... It's not for accepting everybody just so everyone can feel better and say they've been to college.

It's the student's responsibility to not fall through the cracks, not the system's. If you can't study it on your own, ask questions when you need to, or make friends that can help you out, then you might want to question whether or not you're as intelligent as you think.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

First of all,i was not talking to you.

Yes, however if someone stands up for a kid who is being bullied, is that an excuse for the bully to tell the Good Samaritan to bug off? No. When you are picking on someone and talking to them in a rude way I tend to attempt to pacify the situation. I am not asking for a fight. I am simply requesting you to be more respectful.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Other then that... there's not much else that would possibly make a smart/intelligent person do bad.

Repetitiveness makes me do worse. I lose interest when the same thing is shoved down my throat 20 times. I blank on remembering to do the homework and zone out from boredom when taking tests on the same thing multiple times. That's how a smart person does bad in school...or how I did bad in school anyways.

It's the student's responsibility to not fall through the cracks, not the system's

School is geared to accommodate the average student, which is about 90-95% of the population. It does not work well for those not average, either below or above.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

The title of the thread doesn't say give ideas on how to improve it, it just asks for an opinion on whether we think grades prohibit actual learning. That is what people are doing. If they want to give an idea on how to improve it, great. But they don't need to.

I commented before which for some reason did not showup here
The comment was something like if we dont have a new system we will have to put up with the current.
I think some mod deleted it .
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

School is geared to accommodate the average student, which is about 90-95% of the population. It does not work well for those not average, either below or above.

Especially after the passage of No Child Left Behind. It took above average students, and it basically made states go on a "Race to the Middle" instead of giving the gifted kids the higher education they needed, they started cutting back on those programs in a futile attempt to make kids who don't care about school, care.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

The comment was something like if we dont have a new system we will have to put up with the current.
I think some mod deleted it .

Yes I understood what you meant. The only other proposed alternative I've heard of is basing education on effort instead of strictly on performance. Basically like Russia turning to Communism because they didn't like kings. Not necessarily better.
Showing 31-45 of 90