ForumsThe TavernWhat's the point of Gum?

22 3575
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

I mean seriously, why do people chew gum? I find it annoying that people always have to stick this cheap rubber into their mouths and chew on it for like three hours. Like, what kind of pleasure do you have in doing that? Doesn't it make it annoying that the teachers will always have to tell you to spit it out? And even worse: the teachers ban gum in school, yet people still are stupid enough to continue to chew it!?

• 22 Replies
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

It relieves stress. Simple as that. Preoccupies the mind with chewing gum instead of whatever is one the mind. Some military forces have even recommended chewing gum before, during, and after military engagement for just such that reason.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Let's see.
My father chews gum because it stimulates his spittle production, and his meds makes his mouth dry.
Some people do that as a substitute for smoking or eating, which is probably healthier.
It tastes good.
You can blow bubbles with the right type (One of life's small joys).
Or my personal favourite: Because I can.

I can see why some find it annoying (or why it would be banned from schools), but it obviously have a few good sides to it anyway. As for people still continuing while they are not allowed: They are not very smart, and the reason the gum was banned in the first place, because it muffles their speech and they probably don't throw it in the trash when they are done with it.

aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

UH HUM! Why do people smoke? They know its bad, But they do to relive stress. Same thing with gum!

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I mean seriously, why do people chew gum?

I don't know why everyone does, but I know why I do. It keeps me occupied, it tastes good, and it keeps me from biting my nails. I usually have some part of my body moving, whether it's my knee tapping or mouth chewing or finger tapping something.

I find it annoying that people always have to stick this cheap rubber into their mouths and chew on it for like three hours

I don't see why it annoys you. Unless they're chewing with their mouths open and blowing bubbles and sticking it under stuff, it has nothing to do with you.

Doesn't it make it annoying that the teachers will always have to tell you to spit it out?

1) I don't chew it in school.
2) Teachers tell everyone that because some idiots are too lazy to actually throw it away and instead stick it onto everything which is just plain disgusting.

the teachers ban gum in school, yet people still are stupid enough to continue to chew it!?

People are stupid. Just because something is banned doesn't mean it's not around.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

the teachers ban gum in school, yet people still are stupid enough to continue to chew it!?

Or, maybe they are the smart ones. Studies show that chewing gum right before a test can temporarily improve your recall abilities. Just don't stick it under the desk!

Also, while there are other products that do this, it makes your breath smell good. If someone ever offers you a piece of gum, take it! They might just be being nice, but they might also be hinting at your, ahem, odor.
Lucky34760
Lucky34760
14 posts
Peasant

Why do we eat gum? Are you joking? Because it tastes good. Duh, why else would we?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

You're going to end up like the old foggies that run my country.

I chew because it's illegal here. Illegal. No kidding. Plus, I like the taste.

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

Taste, joy, feeling etc.

Also everyone knows all the ******'s used to smoke before they found out smoking is bad for you, so now all the ******'s just chew gum

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

Wow, I had no idea that word was censored on kong. I mean someone who is tough, fearless, cool, like all those action heroes in movies.

You're going to end up like the old foggies that run my country.

I chew because it's illegal here. Illegal. No kidding. Plus, I like the taste.

That really sucks. What a strict country. Don't they also whip you for vandalism in that country?
Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

Wow, I had no idea that word was censored on kong.

Argh... I should really take the time to re-read my post before I submit it so I don't make mistakes like that... I meant Armor Games.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

That really sucks. What a strict country. Don't they also whip you for vandalism in that country?

We cane not whip.....And just in case some American says so, no we don't cane people who chew gum. People chew it, and it's lax. ''Officially'' we're not supposed to, but everyone does.

Strict it might be, but it's safer than most countries, if not any country in the world.
Manoura
Manoura
3 posts
Nomad

wow i had no idea people could be this emotional about gum hahaha
the real question is how can you NOT like it dude its gum.. come on

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

You're going to end up like the old foggies that run my country

You're lucky. Here, there's a bunch of weird people who always stick gum onto the streets and stuff. Then, it gets stuck on your shoe, and you have to find a way to peel it off. But anyway, I'm fine with people not following the gum rules, since it is fun to see people getting yelled at.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Habit, to get rid of nasty lunch breath, to freshen up before you start mackin on your bf/ gf, lots of reasons.
I chew gum A LOT.
I hate it when I touch a wad of gum when I move my desks and stufff though. Disgusting.
I beleive in proper gum disposal/ etiquitte.

Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

I rarely chew gum, and when I do, I chew it for a minute of two till it loses taste, and then trow it out like I would do with any other candy if It hadn't melted down

Showing 1-15 of 22