ForumsThe TavernIs chess a sport?

31 5705
johnymcjohnflog
johnymcjohnflog
29 posts
Nomad

I think that chess is a sport but most people don't. Do you?

• 31 Replies
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

I think it is, since there are international championships. Also, it is broadcasted on TV.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Just because something has championships doesn't mean it's a sport. I think it's just a game.

A sport is something that involves physical activity and competition, not a board game.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

It's a game with intense mental strain and competition.

A sport is physical, not mental.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Are you saying that chess doesn't involve physical activity and competition?

He has a point... lawlz...

The definition of sport is as followed:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

The bold are counterexamples.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Chess is really competitive. What have you been smoking?

ScouseWarrior
ScouseWarrior
1,391 posts
Nomad

If it's competitive it's a sport in my opinion, all current day sports are competitive are they not?

auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

Chess is not a sport, it's a board game. If chess would be considered a sport, then wouldn't other board games like checkers, Battleship, Monopoly, etc. be considered sports too then? I don't think so.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Chess isn't a sport. It's that simple.

Yes, it's competitive.
Yes, it takes skill.
Yes, people can sweat and there is movement involve.

Chess is a game. Arguing that it's a sport is stupid.

impulse255dj
impulse255dj
48 posts
Farmer

Its a game.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

No way is it a sport. Sports invoke actually moving more then your arms. (even in golf u do more than that :P) no, not a sport
Sports involve fiscal movement other than that of the brain.
Not a sport
I'm not saying its not fun though...

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

So is all sports. They're all games.

No.

Rock climbing and swimming are not games. There are more, but I think those two get my point across enough.

They're just different because one involves command over the board and another involves playing as a piece of the board.

No. Chess is a board game, just like monopoly, scrabble, clue, checkers, risk, etc. Those are not sports. As acmed on page 1 gave the definition of a sport, "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc." that does not include board games.

Whilst there is competition in board games and there are international competitions for some of them, that does not make them a sport.
johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

Yes, I think that chess is a sport, but it is more of a mental sport.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

its not a sport? why? because the guys in gym class wouldnt laugh at me when i suggested wed do that :3

lol jk.

but how is it a sport? if what you are saying is true then all board and video games are sports.

i think that normal wii games that have at least one reason to move the remote is more of a sport then any board game.

if its about moving then you could also say that rock, paper, scissors is a sport.

i think you can see where im going. i give you stupid examples and you HAVE to agree with them in order to stick to your idea (i sure love that debate strategy :3 ).

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

How does that not fit gaming? It requires skill, physical accuracy and strength, endurance, and competitiveness, often enough.

Because you're sitting on your behind. Unless you're one of those people who jumps all around with a controller.

Either way, the point is, video games aren't a sport. They're games. They can be competitive, but they aren't a sport. Same goes for chess.

Seriously, there's a difference between debating and this

you HAVE to agree with them in order to stick to your idea (i sure love that debate strategy :3 ).

^which is just trolling. Providing a stupid example that we all know is false. No one in their right mind thinks Cod is a sport because you move your thumbs/hands/eyes.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

If it's competitive it's a sport in my opinion

Hey guys, apparently fighting for class rank is a sport now.
Showing 1-15 of 31