ForumsThe TavernExotic Food

22 3237
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

So here I am wondering, what has been the most exotic food you have ever eaten?

I'm not an adventurous eater, and escargot barely counts. Or frog legs which I love. Nor do sea cucumbers seem remotely exciting too. I've also eaten fried baby squid by the spoonful, but then again, it's nothing like eating fried grasshoppers or scorpions!

• 22 Replies
LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

I don't really eat a lot of 'unknown food'. To me anyway. I have tried real chocolate and it tastes NOTHING like the one in Tesco. I have also had squid and octopus. That is pretty much it for me...

younieboy
younieboy
297 posts
Blacksmith

i have eaten lobster before
and much sorts of fish

phycticpotato
phycticpotato
132 posts
Nomad

[quote=younieboy]i have eaten lobster before
and much sorts of fish
[/quote]

Oh my, that hardly counts as "exotic food."

But, has anyone here heard of balut? > Ever wondered what a fertilized duck embryo eaten out of its shell (it was killed when it was boiled) would taste like? It is a Filipino food and if you have a weak stomach, I would advise you not even look it up. I opened up the egg, looked inside, and lo and behold, a little eyeball was looking back at me. Needles to say I had nightmares about that for days, not to metion the queasiness I had thinking about it.

Here a picture courtesy of Wikipedia.
Lets hope I did this right.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/BALUT.jpg/180px-BALUT.jpg

younieboy
younieboy
297 posts
Blacksmith

@ phycticpotato
it's maybe not exotic but fish lives in the sea, wich is exotic on his own
anyway, hev you ever eaten swordfish before?
i did,and it's delicious

DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

I can say that I have eaten the "most exotic" food, but I sure as hell can say I've eaten the most "nastiest kind" of food.

I'm currently resided in Hong Kong so there are lots of street vendors that sell food like.

-bugs (worms, larva, dragonfly) there insects are roasted on a bbq.. hmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy!

-monkey brain, It gets fried in oil... I tried one bite, it tastes just like liver

- scorpion. gets bbqed just like the insects.

I'm hungry now...

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I went hunting with my Uncle, and he shot a buck that was on his 'half' of the plot. So he paid me five bucks to...

(Those of the faint of heart and stomach are suggested to not read any further)

...Eat one of the testes. I got five bucks, and am forever immortalized to my uncle as 'the nastiest son of a *****'.

DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

Eat one of the testes

****, you are a nasty sob ><
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

And the worst part is, when I shoot my first buck, I have to do it again as part of the initiation ritual. And its expected, and/or forced. D:

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Curry, parahta, aloo ka sabji, paneer, raita, dai, subji, mago lassi, kabobs, pistachio popsicles, and dal.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

...Eat one of the testes. I got five bucks, and am forever immortalized to my uncle as 'the nastiest son of a *****'.

It's not really that weird to eat testes. I've never had them, but my friends eat them often enough. Did you eat them raw or cooked?

This summer I worked in a cantonese restaurant. For dinner, we'd have things like bowls of duck feet and pig ears, which weren't that bad. It's kind of weird for an American (well, maybe not in the south). But one day, for lunch we had a platter of these weird little fleshy disks. They smelled awful. I only tried one, and it's the only time in my life I had to struggle to eat something.

Turns out it was pig intestine. Not really an exotic animal, but man was that foul. Everyone else seemed to like them, so maybe it's just my American palette.

I've also had things like fried salmon skin, moose heart, whale blubber, octopus and squid. Those later two aren't really that weird, I guess.

I kind of want to try some sort of mammal brain, but also I'd rather not.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Turns out it was pig intestine. Not really an exotic animal, but man was that foul. Everyone else seemed to like them, so maybe it's just my American palette.

Depends on how you cook it. Pig intestine soup is quite popular from where I come from, though I never bother with it.

I love squid and octopus. Calamari rings are a favourite.

I feel like trying fried scorpions, saw them once in China, but I didn't have time to buy some.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

Most exotic food? Hmmm... does something that sounds like a McDonalds meal count?

If so... fried crickets! Those were nice and crispy... =)

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Did you eat them raw or cooked?

Took my uncle's knife, and I cut both of them off the body. Raw, but they were warm. Very warm. D:

Turns out it was pig intestine

I think that Chitlins are pig intestines too, but I'm not sure. I do like Chitlins though.

I kind of want to try some sort of mammal brain

A good place to start would be hash. Its the brain, lungs, and intestines of a cow, and if you don't like hash, than you definately won't like brain.

Has anybody ever had cow tougue? I want to try it, and I've heard its really good.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I've eaten salt & vinegar covered crickets, a lollipop with a scorpion inside (ate the scorpion afterwords), kangaroo jerky, roasted gator, squid sushi, eel sushi and sashimi (my favorite), frogs legs, octopus soup...

One thing I would like to try is spider.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I ate ox tail if that counts as anything.

Love sashimi btw Mage. And unagi(eel) and sushi in general. I feel like I'm betraying my Chinese roots.

Showing 1-15 of 22