ForumsThe TavernPreventable Movie Deaths?

21 3042
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I'm not sure if I should put the thread in this forum, but anyway.

Have you ever seen a movie where a hero or villain dies, but you see an obvious way to change that? For me, it was POTC, At Worlds End, when Lord Beckett died. His ship could've blown both the Black Pearl and the Dutchman right out of the water, had he given the order to fire, or one of his lieutenants.
What unfair deaths have you seen?

• 21 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

How Lord of the Rings should have ended. Didn't think of it when watching the movie, but it's pretty obvious when you think about it... so many deaths could have been prevented (note the last comment on the vid^^).

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

In 'Wild Wild West' had Dr. Arliss Loveless just stamped on Captain James West with the huge spider, he'd have made sure he was dead and Loveless wouldn't have died later in the film.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

In Jurassic Park, Muldoon would've probably lived if he didn't take forever to set up his gun. I mean he had plenty of time before he left the bunker.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Why didn't Goldfinger just shoot James Bond when he had the chance? Why go through the whole 'death by laser beam' because it is obvious Bond will escape and later kill Goldfinger.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

In Jurassic Park, Muldoon would've probably lived if he didn't take forever to set up his gun. I mean he had plenty of time before he left the bunker.

Better still, Muldoon should never have gone into the brush. Entering the forest like that was incredibly foolish, and he should have known better to begin with. After all, he was an experienced hunter, and he's the one who was commenting on the raptor's high intelligence and problem-solving capabilities combined with stealthiness and stalking ability near the beginning of the movie. Ideally, he should have remained in the clearing just in front of the bunker area. That way, the raptors couldn't have out-flanked him, and if any of them charged he could have gotten at least one shot off at them.

And while we're on the matter of Jurassic Park, pretty much every death in the film (except the fat traitor guy) could, with some foresight and proper planning, have been avoided, even with the security system crashed. Anyone who knew anything about dinosaurs should have known that they are big and powerful, and that any security system has it's weaknesses and can eventually fail. That said, the park should have had at the very least a platoon to company sized para-military security force armed with assault rifles, heavy machine guns, anti-tank rocket launchers, and armored scout vehicles like modified HUMVEES. (Basically, think the hunters from JP2 combined with a Marine Expeditionary Force.) With that sort of firepower on hand, any outbreak could have been contained with a minimal loss of life, the security system could have been rebuilt and upgraded, and the park could have gone on with visitors being safe in the knowledge that any attacking dinosaur will be quickly neutralized.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Opening scene of Cliffhanger, the helicopter is directly above the 3 climbers and could easily have winched them individually into the helicopter.

Instead it lands on a mountain peak after dropping a cable to the climbers, meaning the climbers have to cross a huge chasm. One of the climbers ends up falling to her death.

There were no bad weather conditions, the helicopter was equipped to lift them up one by one and arguably the winch would have supported the weight of all 3 climbers, so why did they have to traverse the chasm at all?

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

This isn't a specific death but in Batman Begins, if Bruce had let that last guy, the name escapes me, slide right off the cliff, none of the chaos in Gotham would have happened, meaning none of the mental asylum escapees would have gotten out like the Joker, leading to less death in the city.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

that last guy, the name escapes me

Henri Ducard, alias/head of Ra's Al Ghul
Interesting note: Ra's al ghul is arabic for "Head of the Demon."
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

That said, the park should have had at the very least a platoon to company sized para-military security force armed with assault rifles, heavy machine guns, anti-tank rocket launchers, and armored scout vehicles like modified HUMVEES. (Basically, think the hunters from JP2 combined with a Marine Expeditionary Force.)

In the book, there were armored vehicles and bigger guns, but the staff had to leave the island due to the large tropical storm.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

So many films have unnecessary deaths like in any water based monster movie you can just not go in the water.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

So many films have unnecessary deaths like in any water based monster movie you can just not go in the water.

or if there is a monster/murderer in your house (that is in the dark woods by the way so you cant get any help) dont go in it if your door is open (but you closed it after you left)...

Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

How in like every horrorfilm the characters just stay , people when someone threatens you whit a chainsaw and you just barely escape , don't turn back

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Generally, in horror movies logic is not the best used ability the victims have.
"Let's go out in the dark wood and stay in an even darker cabin miles way from help, the road or cell phone reception!!"
"Let's split up!"
"I'll just go down in this dark basement even though I just saw my best friend lying in bloody gore a few feet away!!"
"Let's stay inside this house where half our group has been horribly murdered without any of us noticing!!"

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

HAHAHA that is so true that the victims are so stupid in horror movies.

Like in the Chainsaw Massacre movies there are always brave character that say, "Oh John has been gone for awhile I will go and find him". You shouldn't do this because it is dark out and in the middle of the woods. Let him come back if he survives. That's what I would do.

happybirthdayaphant1
happybirthdayaphant1
53 posts
Nomad

Yeah... horror movies have a lot of dumb victims. I remember Wendy from the Shining just screaming when Jack was making a hole through the door. She had a knife with her the whole time. I know she used the knife afterwards but still, you can't just stare at the ax and scream.

Showing 1-15 of 21