ForumsWEPR[necro]What's the big deal about smoking?

163 52428
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I don't get people why they are so against it?
If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

• 163 Replies
ramzaman
ramzaman
231 posts
Farmer

i started when i was 13
and i mean.. i understand why some people dont wanna be around it.. but i dontl like being judged over it
and plus if someone doesnt want me smoking around them i will no smoke around them and i dont smoke inside
but i think its a choice
dont tell anyone they need to quit because its really annoying and i know its not healthy and i dont plan on doing it my whole life
its a decision

exitpathuser
exitpathuser
154 posts
Nomad

imgres?q=smoking&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&biw=1280&bih=841&tbm=isch&amp<i class=rmd=imvnsb&tbnid=Uh8_NmkeVPhRzM:&imgrefurl=http://www.smokinglung.org/smoking-lung.html&docid=lYITsMD1jJHLVM&imgurl=http://www.smokinglung.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Smoking-Lung.jpg&w=1400&h=974&ei=dgkkT724DZKEtgejlJnxBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=702&vpy=492&dur=3415&hovh=187&hovw=269&tx=155&ty=136&sig=117908156759317968241&ampage=2&tbnh=143&tbnw=162&start=25&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:25" alt="http://www.google.com/imgres?q=smoking&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&biw=1280&bih=841&tbm=isch&amprmd=imvnsb&tbnid=Uh8_NmkeVPhRzM:&imgrefurl=http://www.smokinglung.org/smoking-lung.html&docid=lYITsMD1jJHLVM&imgurl=http://www.smokinglung.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Smoking-Lung.jpg&w=1400&h=974&ei=dgkkT724DZKEtgejlJnxBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=702&vpy=492&dur=3415&hovh=187&hovw=269&tx=155&ty=136&sig=117908156759317968241&ampage=2&tbnh=143&tbnw=162&start=25&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:25" /> I think this is why.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Lol, linked it for you.

http://www.smokinglung.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Smoking-Lung.jpg

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

i know its not healthy and i dont plan on doing it my whole life
its a decision

What about when it's no longer a choice, but an addiction? Most smokers don't plan on doing it forever, but they're hooked and can't quit. It comes to the point where it's not a matter of willpower, but a chemical need.
KhaoticSniper
KhaoticSniper
210 posts
Nomad

i aint goin to NZ even if rest of the world sinks.

I think if your a Smoker and there is no where else to buy Cancer sticks then u would go to NZ.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i dont plan on doing it my whole life
its a decision

your not the only one. when do you think you will stop? no one said its not a decision but eventually its ediction. if you start smoking and you know that you dont want to do it for your whole life just dont smoke. and the more you will smoke the less of a choice it will be. its not like drinking cola knowing that when you will decide you want to stop with it you will.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I

think if your a Smoker and there is no where else to buy Cancer sticks then u would go to NZ.

ryte
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

What about when it's no longer a choice, but an addiction? Most smokers don't plan on doing it forever, but they're hooked and can't quit. It comes to the point where it's not a matter of willpower, but a chemical need.

every month i take a break of week just to stop it becoming so.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

every month i take a break of week just to stop it becoming so.

why? the bad thing about smoking is that it damages your health. weather you are addicted or not doesnt change that. if your not going to stop smoking i see no reason in doing that. and if you ARE going to stop why not stop now?
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

and if you ARE going to stop why not stop now?

It is always better to stop smoking as soon as you can! You shouldn't just keep on smoking if you have smoked for awhile already, you can always recover your heath if you stop smoking.

Here is a chart of the amount of damage you will cause to yourself if you don't stop as soon as you can!:

20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.

-8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.

-12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.

-24 hours
Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

-48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.

-72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.

-5 - 8 days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.

-10 days
10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.

-10 days to 2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

-2 to 4 weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.

-21 days
Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.

-2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.

-3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.

-1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.

-1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

-5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.

-10 years
Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined.

-13 years
Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).

-15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.

-20 years
Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study). Risk of pancreatic cancer reduced to that of a never-smoker (2011 study).

I hope this makes all of you smokers quit soon so you don't die from smoking.
phycticpotato
phycticpotato
132 posts
Nomad

^ Source?

Also only some of your health will be regained. Smoking causes permanent damage in ones body. But, it is their decision and their right.

AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

Yes, sources please.

Also, this:

Here is a chart of the amount of damage you will cause to yourself if you don't stop as soon as you can!:

[redacated]

does not show damage. It shows what happens when you quit smoking. And it doesn't even work the same for everyone, depending on how long a person has been smoking and in what quantities.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

This is the source

Also ya I know I messed up with the typing of saying that it shows damage instead of saying it shows what happens if you quit.

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad
Zorvex
Zorvex
223 posts
Peasant

I agree with most everyone posting, It's your option to smoke or not. I smoke cigars, no so much cigerettes, but its fairly the same deal.

Showing 106-120 of 163