ForumsWEPR[necro]What's the big deal about smoking?

163 52464
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I don't get people why they are so against it?
If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

• 163 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

I think smoking is a person's choice (not necessarily the healthiest, but still their choice). However, I think it's wrong to expose other people to second and third hand smoke. My solution: don't smoke around non-smokers.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

My solution: don't smoke around non-smokers.

That's not a solution; it's just an aim.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

That's not a solution; it's just an aim.

Sure, but there really is no better/more reasonable solution.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Once again....it isn't a solution; it's an aim that drives many solutions, such as the cordoning off of areas for smoking, preventing smoking in certain areas, such as the office, etc etc.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Well, yes but that is almost implied as there aren't many isolated areas where there aren't any non-smokers.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Not going to venture into speaking for other countries, but over here, it seems to be working. We really isolate the areas.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

If you mean America, I agree. Although many highschool students still have a problem. One day after school my mom had to pick me up for a doctor's appointment. When we drove out of the parking lot, there was a kid in the middle of (one of) the parking lot exits smoking a joint on his chopper bike.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

No, I live in Singapore. Let's see....

Smoking is banned at, bus interchanges and shelters, public toilets, public swimming complexes, hawker centres, coffeeshops, entertainment outlets, pubs, bars, lounges, dance clubs, and night clubs, children's playgrounds, exercise areas, markets, underground and multi-storey carparks, ferry terminals and jetties, non-air conditioned areas in offices, factories, shops, shopping complexes and lift lobbies, and within 5 meters of entrances and exits.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Then that problem is more of selling illegally to minors, and not a problem of smoking where they should not.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

^^Wow, did you remember all of that or just search it online?
^Yeah, that is slightly harder to tackle.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Smoking is banned at, bus interchanges and shelters, public toilets, public swimming complexes, hawker centres, coffeeshops, entertainment outlets, pubs, bars, lounges, dance clubs, and night clubs, children's playgrounds, exercise areas, markets, underground and multi-storey carparks, ferry terminals and jetties, non-air conditioned areas in offices, factories, shops, shopping complexes and lift lobbies, and within 5 meters of entrances and exits.

darn! singapori smokers must have a problem in passing out dinner
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I can remember them, since well, virtually no where but your home is safe. But I found them online.

Haha, yeah Ikr punisher! Let's not go into the gastronomical and anatomical details though.

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

There are some people I know who have asthma from smoking or being near smokers. One kid almost died, because some person was smoking near him. Also when I am near someone smoking I get kindof sick. At some point I feel like i'm choking and I just start having a fit of coughing.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I'm in the process of reading everything from the last time I jumped in. Stilton, it seems you had an issue with my saying that hospital resources could be better spent on other people. Someone else might have said something similar as well, but I DID say something to that effect. If you read some of the statements made by posters prior to my comment you may interpret them the way I did. My interpretation of some of their posts was an "I don't care about any of the people around me, therefore I'm going smoke wherever I want to... be it in my car, in a door way, in a restaurant, in your face" type attitude. I'd tried to say something to the effect of why should we cater to the person pursuing very self destructive life habits when his/her luck has finally ran out... when in pursuit of this habit he/she has had a blatant disregard for how their habit affects everyone else? If you pursue your interests, however self destructive they may be, but you do so in a manner that accommodates everyone else around you, then I have no problem with helping you when things go awry.

So, now to incorporate some of your examples into another example. This would be akin to the difference between someone who has a car accident out on the public roads caused by seeing how fast his car would go compared to a wreck that occurred pursuing the same desire to go fast on a local race track where everyone who is there is well aware of the speeding taking place. Does that make sense? I'm going to read the rest of the thread nao.... I'm on page 11.

It was more of an agitated retort to the "I don't care about how you're affected by the fulfillment of my desires" attitude.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Here's something worth considering.
Our brains are hardwired to assess immediate danger. We're scared of big animals and snakes and fire because those things can hurt us right now. It's really only recently (from an historical/archaeological point of view) that humans are able to live long enough to where long-term dangers like cancer can really affect us.
It's not as if smokers don't realize that smoking is a terribly unhealthy habit. But 1 cigarette isn't going to kill you, nor is it going to get you addicted. So the way we are set up to appreciate danger simply can't handle the dangers that smoking brings.
Does this motivate the idea that smoking should be completely outlawed? If we are incapable of properly assessing the danger of smoking, perhaps we shouldn't be that given that option in the first place. Of course, if you use this line of argumentation, I imagine many other things could be outlawed as well.

Showing 121-135 of 163