ForumsForum GamesThe Search: An RPG

134 114465
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yes, yet another RPG. But, I assure you, this one will be different! My goal with this game is to be very accessible, and allow for creativity. Furthermore, character abilities will be determined by your actions, not a character sheet. There will be no extensive equipment/stat list that you need to fill out. Anybody can join at anytime- the only requirement is that you try to be creative!

The Game:

All New/deceased players start here, no matter when they joined/died.

You wake up in the middle of a tropical rainforest. You are wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans, underwear, hiking socks, and hiking boots. You have no water, no food, and most importantly, no memories. You can speak the local language (which might as well be English), and you can remember your name.

In your boot, you find a note:

Hello, [your name].
If you are reading this, it is because something horrible has happened to your mind. You are a member of the Order of the Sun. Everyone else should be regarded as an enemy. TRUST NO ONE. I must keep this message short, so that it will not be picked up by scanners. Find a person with a sun-sign, and everything will be explained.

-Your Only Friends

And that is where your story begins!

Gameplay
The point of the game is to survive and recover your memories. The game will be divided into a series of stages, with each stage beginning with a challenging trial. Upon completion of the trial, you will be granted with a special ability, unique to how you solved the trial. This ability will manifest itself as you complete the trial, and will grow in power throughout the stage. There will be aspects to your abilities that will change depending on how you use them. You do not necessarily keep your old powers in the next stage, but they might merge with your new abilities. It all depends on your actions.

In order to give people a chance, you are guaranteed to survive the first trial, which will happen almost immediately. If you die (see rules) you will be sent back to the very beginning with a new character. If you act in a way during the first trial that would normally have resulted in your death, I will inform you as such, so that you will know to be more thoughtful in the future.

Each stage will have a theme that is the same for all players, but this theme will never directly be stated. This theme (except for the first theme, which I have already chosen) will be determined by the actions of the first player to pass the trial. Therefore, there is a strategic advantage for figuring out each stage as fast as possible. You will also discover the exact nature of your powers by using them, not by me explicitly stating how they work. Similarly, the objectives of the trials will also need to be learned.

Because your abilities are based on your actions, it is important that you be as specific as possible, especially during the trials.

Character Sheet (to be posted with every action-after this point, only I can make edits to this sheet)
Name:
Physical description: (doesn't have to be long)

That's all for now! Other categories will be added as they become relevant.

Rules:
1) You can only control your own character. If you get allies along your journey, you can ask that they do things, but you can't force them to do things. For instance, you CAN do something like

"I ask Joe to open the door."

You cannot do things like

"Joe stabs the guard in the back while I shoot the other one in the face."

2) You must respect events that happened to you. No whining! I'll try to be as fair as possible. There will be no "You randomly get knifed in the back" type of things. A careful player will be able to avoid all danger (well, maybe not other players).

3)If you DO get killed by a NPC, I will warn you the first time. You can then go back and change your action. But only once, any future deaths will be permanent. If another player kills you, you die the first time. Otherwise, it would not be fair to the victorious player.

4) All equipment will be "generic". There are no brand name guns or other weapons here, to keep things simple. There will be rifles, but no Winchesters.

That is it! I hope you enjoy. If you have questions, just ask!
  • 134 Replies
webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

Name: Brooks
Physical description: Ht.5.1 brown hair, green eyes, average weight.
Stage: 1
Attribute: THE ASPEN
Known abilities: regeneration upon death
Energy: 0.5/10 Energy
Regain Rate: very slow
equipment: Rifle, 20 rounds. Two canteens. 5 protein bars.

I go say hi and ask some people about Riemannville

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Name:Maya Brown
Physical description: Short, kind loving, light brown hair, Blue eyes
Attribute: THE BLACK LOCUST
Known abilities: Hard skin
Energy: 3/10
Energy Regain rate: Slow
Health Status: medium injuries, bleeding.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. 2 protein bars. Gauze, anti-septic cream.

I thank her then use some of the cream and bandages. Then I return the items and leave the building.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Energy:1.5/10 Energy
equipment: Two canteens. 5 protein bars.

I go say hi and ask some people about Riemannville

Riemannville appears to be a quite a bit larger than it first appeared. Once inside the ten foot high rock walls, you can finally see the village. It mostly consists of one and two story buildings, and a few roads. You go up and talk to the first unarmed person you see.
"What can you tell me about Riemannville?"

The person, an older women, replies:
"What is there to say? It is the only real village in the forest. Not like that Cantortown- they're just a bunch of upstart peasants. Really violent. They are endangering the entire society with their little rebellion. But what do I know? You should go talk to the General if you want to learn more. He lives in the barracks."

She points to a fairly innocent looking building.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Energy: 3.5/10
Health Status: medium injuries, healing.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. 2 protein bars.

I thank her then use some of the cream and bandages. Then I return the items and leave the building.

You are now back out on the street. There are a few more buildings on this road, but still no people. Everyone seems to be inside.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Energy: 3.5/10

I search for anyone who is possibly out on the streets. If there is not I explore a building.

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

I knock on the door, and try to talk to the general.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Name: Mav
Physical Description: Tallish, fair hair and skinned, with a wiry frame.

I fail to see where you're going with this. :P

If you want to give me a re-do, I'm sure I could sate your palate for a somewhat 'intelligent' answer.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Energy: 4/10

I search for anyone who is possibly out on the streets. If there is not I explore a building.

You walk along the roads, and eventually find a young, unarmed man walking towards the "back" of the town. He is carrying a hoe. You try to stop him to talk, but he says:
"Sorry, can't talk. Gotta get back to work. All the other workers are already out in the field, if I don't join them soon, people will notice."

He continues walking down the road.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I knock on the door, and try to talk to the general

You are allowed to enter the barracks. A tallish, well dressed women greats you.
"Ah! I can only assume you were sent here as a new recruit. I'm the General, but you can call me Nancy. If you join us, we will be one step closer to squashing that little rebellion."

In the room with you is maybe 20-30 people, some armed, some not. There is a (locked) gun case in the back. Most people are sitting around a long, wooden table with a map on it.

----------------------------------------------------

I fail to see where you're going with this. :P

If you want to give me a re-do, I'm sure I could sate your palate for a somewhat 'intelligent' answer.

Its your call, I could send you as far back to the point where you got shot, or all the way back to the beginning. But I hardly think your situation is hopeless. I mean, if you try to fight your way out, you will almost certainly die (unless you do something really clever that I haven't thought of).

But You don't HAVE to fight your way out. You could surrender, and escape later, you could run away, or some third option. There is still that other settlement, so if you escape somehow, you can start over there.

While I don't want to force people into situations like this, that fact is you tried to take on an entire settlement by charging the most fortified position on it. And this settlement is crucial to the plot of the game, so I can't very well let you kill everyone in it, can I?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Settlement? I thought it was just two guys by a fire. I think I may have read the wrong thing... :/

If at all possible, perhaps we could start over to where I climb the tree to get a look at the surroundings.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Settlement? I thought it was just two guys by a fire. I think I may have read the wrong thing... :/

If at all possible, perhaps we could start over to where I climb the tree to get a look at the surroundings.

Oh wow I totally got you confused with another person... yeah it is just two guys by a fire. Sorry about that. Lets see...

I mean, if you really want to start over that's your call. You're still at the very beginning, so no problem. That puts you here:

I climb a tree to get a good look at the surrounding area. I need to assess the situation.

You scamper up a nearby tree, and see the smoke from a small fire not too far away.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Starting with a clean slate might be easier for all parties involved.

I cautiously move forward, and investigate the smoke. After climbing down the tree, of course.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I ask where he got that "hoe"

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

I say, no I came to learn more about this city, but I will help and be a recuit if needed or wanted.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I ask where he got that "hoe"

He gives you a confused look.
"Well, from the supply shed. On the Farm. Where we work... say you're not from around here are you?"

He keeps walking towards the back of the settlement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
equipment: Two canteens. 5 protein bars. Rifle, 20 rounds, NO TRIGGER.

I say, no I came to learn more about this city, but I will help and be a recuit if needed or wanted.

Nancy replies:
"Well of course you are wanted! Here, let me sign you up. I'm going to assume you know how to fire a gun, since everyone from the Outside seems to have that knowledge. And since you asked, Riemannville is the glorious outpost of the Great City. It has been around since, well, since forever I guess. And things have been going great until those stupid peasants over in Cantortown decided to start a revolution. That, my friend [what is your name, by the way?], is where you come in. You are going to help us put those farmers in their place."

You are handed a rifle and some ammunition. You are NOT given a uniform, armor, or any kind of insignia. Looking around the room, you notice that no one is wearing any kind of uniform, or has any kind of insignia denoting rank. There are no flags or emblems.

Nancy continues:
"Of course, for safety reasons your gun does not have a trigger. That is given to you as you leave the city. New recruits don't get functional weapons until they have been enlisted for 1 year."
----------------------------------------------------------------

Starting with a clean slate might be easier for all parties involved.

I cautiously move forward, and investigate the smoke. After climbing down the tree, of course.

You discover two armed men, facing away from you. They are resting while warming themselves by a small fire. They are maybe 20 feet away, and both are holding rifles. They do not notice you.

There is a small clay pot on the ground to their left.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

(i thought you meant the other meaning of hoe ya know)

I say nevermind and look for a building to explore

Lavaflow
Lavaflow
1 posts
Nomad

Name: Ox
Description: tall, fat, brutish, strong.

Ox wakes up, looks around, and sets off randomly into the forest.

Showing 106-120 of 134