ForumsForum GamesThe Search: An RPG

134 114430
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yes, yet another RPG. But, I assure you, this one will be different! My goal with this game is to be very accessible, and allow for creativity. Furthermore, character abilities will be determined by your actions, not a character sheet. There will be no extensive equipment/stat list that you need to fill out. Anybody can join at anytime- the only requirement is that you try to be creative!

The Game:

All New/deceased players start here, no matter when they joined/died.

You wake up in the middle of a tropical rainforest. You are wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans, underwear, hiking socks, and hiking boots. You have no water, no food, and most importantly, no memories. You can speak the local language (which might as well be English), and you can remember your name.

In your boot, you find a note:

Hello, [your name].
If you are reading this, it is because something horrible has happened to your mind. You are a member of the Order of the Sun. Everyone else should be regarded as an enemy. TRUST NO ONE. I must keep this message short, so that it will not be picked up by scanners. Find a person with a sun-sign, and everything will be explained.

-Your Only Friends

And that is where your story begins!

Gameplay
The point of the game is to survive and recover your memories. The game will be divided into a series of stages, with each stage beginning with a challenging trial. Upon completion of the trial, you will be granted with a special ability, unique to how you solved the trial. This ability will manifest itself as you complete the trial, and will grow in power throughout the stage. There will be aspects to your abilities that will change depending on how you use them. You do not necessarily keep your old powers in the next stage, but they might merge with your new abilities. It all depends on your actions.

In order to give people a chance, you are guaranteed to survive the first trial, which will happen almost immediately. If you die (see rules) you will be sent back to the very beginning with a new character. If you act in a way during the first trial that would normally have resulted in your death, I will inform you as such, so that you will know to be more thoughtful in the future.

Each stage will have a theme that is the same for all players, but this theme will never directly be stated. This theme (except for the first theme, which I have already chosen) will be determined by the actions of the first player to pass the trial. Therefore, there is a strategic advantage for figuring out each stage as fast as possible. You will also discover the exact nature of your powers by using them, not by me explicitly stating how they work. Similarly, the objectives of the trials will also need to be learned.

Because your abilities are based on your actions, it is important that you be as specific as possible, especially during the trials.

Character Sheet (to be posted with every action-after this point, only I can make edits to this sheet)
Name:
Physical description: (doesn't have to be long)

That's all for now! Other categories will be added as they become relevant.

Rules:
1) You can only control your own character. If you get allies along your journey, you can ask that they do things, but you can't force them to do things. For instance, you CAN do something like

"I ask Joe to open the door."

You cannot do things like

"Joe stabs the guard in the back while I shoot the other one in the face."

2) You must respect events that happened to you. No whining! I'll try to be as fair as possible. There will be no "You randomly get knifed in the back" type of things. A careful player will be able to avoid all danger (well, maybe not other players).

3)If you DO get killed by a NPC, I will warn you the first time. You can then go back and change your action. But only once, any future deaths will be permanent. If another player kills you, you die the first time. Otherwise, it would not be fair to the victorious player.

4) All equipment will be "generic". There are no brand name guns or other weapons here, to keep things simple. There will be rifles, but no Winchesters.

That is it! I hope you enjoy. If you have questions, just ask!
  • 134 Replies
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name:Maya Brown
Physical description: Short, kind loving, light brown hair, Blue eyes
Stage: 1
Attribute: THE BLACK LOCUST
Known abilities: Hard skin
Energy: 4.5/10
Energy Regain rate: Slow
Health Status: small injuries, healing.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. 2 protein bars.

(i thought you meant the other meaning of hoe ya know)

I say nevermind and look for a building to explore

You let the young lad walk off. You enter the nearest building, a two story structure that looks like everything else around it.

Inside, just like in the other building, are few people. They all are either elderly or young. Most of them are weaving, making tools, or some other busywork.

An older women notices you, and says:
"What are you doing here? You're old enough to be in the field."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Ox
Description: tall, fat, brutish, strong.

Ox wakes up, looks around, and sets off randomly into the forest.

You are growing thirsty, and see no signs of water. Eventually, you hear some voices not too far away.

l0rdff
l0rdff
319 posts
Nomad

Nameavid Revenew
Physical description: Tall with a few muscles,brown hair and green eyes

May i join too??

I get up and look arounnd and try to find something useful

maxaznboy
maxaznboy
216 posts
Peasant

This seems like fun, is there a limit on how many players may join? If not:

Name: Glades
Physical description: Black hair, brown eyes, typical male though a little short (5'7)

maxaznboy
maxaznboy
216 posts
Peasant

Physical description: Black hair, brown eyes, typical male though a little short (5'7)

Darn, keep forgetting actions for some reason.

I put my boots on/back on (would have to have had them off to find the note, unless you're sensitive to changes and disturbances... I am, but only to a degree like tiny pebbles) and stand up.
Option 1 - I cover my eyes, from the sun/light (if it's bright) with my hands (like how people would survey around the area during sunny days) and look side to side and downwards, checking for traps and puddles.
Option 2 - (I'm going to assume that it's night as there is no light) I crawl around, feel ahead and below me, gathering up twigs, leaves, grass, anything I think I would need to survive. Chewing on a few strands on the first pieces of grass, or what I think is grass, I pluck for moisture.

Sparx0
Sparx0
137 posts
Nomad

Name: Seal
Physical description: Small, green eyes, short black hair

(Forget about my prvious post) I search for a big plant and attemp to cut it with the rock.

Sparx0
Sparx0
137 posts
Nomad

At this rate, this RPG is going to die.

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

Name: Brooks
Physical description: Ht.5.1 brown hair, green eyes, average weight.
Attribute: THE ASPEN
Known abilities: regeneration upon death
Energy:1.5/10 Energy
Regain Rate: very slow
equipment: Two canteens. 5 protein bars. Rifle, 20 rounds, NO TRIGGER.

I say "Thank you very much, you said something about the Great City, what exactly is that?"

immortaljustice
immortaljustice
544 posts
Nomad

Name:Talen Justice
Physical description: 5'11, Blue/Green Eyes, White, Lean/Muscular, Brown Hair

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Nameavid Revenew
Physical description: Tall with a few muscles,brown hair and green eyes

May i join too??

I get up and look arounnd and try to find something useful

You are in a rain forest. Around you are tropical trees of unknown species, vines, rocks, soil, etc. You find no signs of safe water. It is up to you to determine what is and what is not useful. You grow thirsty.

-------------------------------------------------------

(Forget about my prvious post) I search for a big plant and attemp to cut it with the rock.

You find a large plant. You try to hack at it with your rock, and manage to break it off at its base. Unfortunately, it is hollow, and makes a loud sound. Further efforts might alert the two men; do you continue?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Brooks
Physical description: Ht.5.1 brown hair, green eyes, average weight.
Attribute: THE ASPEN
Known abilities: regeneration upon death
Energy:2/10 Energy
Regain Rate: very slow
equipment: Two canteens. 5 protein bars. Rifle, 20 rounds, NO TRIGGER.

I say "Thank you very much, you said something about the Great City, what exactly is that?"

Nancy laughs, and replies:
"Man, I remember when I was an Outsider. Everything was so new... Well I suppose you will learn in time. We aren't supposed to talk too much... but... I guess there is no harm in telling you. No one really knows where the Great City came from. Its just always been there. Just like Riemannville. It isn't that far away, but it is impossible to get there without proper transport. There will be no reinforcements from the city, which is why we recruit Outsiders.

Normally, we send you guys to Cantortown, because they usually need more help farming and stuff. They used to be happy getting being allowed to work in exchange for home and protection, but they've been getting uppity lately.

You should report to Franny, she'll catch you up on what you need to know."

Nancy points to another woman standing outside of the barracks. This woman is carrying a rifle, but also has no insignia of any kind.
------------------------------------------------------------------

You wake up in a rain forest. You have no memories, and their is no sign of water. You grow thirsty.

If I don't post for a few days, don't freak out. I'll respond eventually and make it worth your while.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Forgot one!

Darn, keep forgetting actions for some reason.

I put my boots on/back on (would have to have had them off to find the note, unless you're sensitive to changes and disturbances... I am, but only to a degree like tiny pebbles) and stand up.
Option 1 - I cover my eyes, from the sun/light (if it's bright) with my hands (like how people would survey around the area during sunny days) and look side to side and downwards, checking for traps and puddles.

You see no sign of traps or puddles. In fact, their oddly seems to be no sign of water of any kind, even though this is definitely a rain forest.

You can't see very far, due to trees.

You grow thirsty.

Sparx0
Sparx0
137 posts
Nomad

I go back and search for another plant and slice it off. (I want to be stealthy)

immortaljustice
immortaljustice
544 posts
Nomad

ill walk around and look for water

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Name:Maya Brown
Physical description: Short, kind loving, light brown hair, Blue eyes
Attribute: THE BLACK LOCUST
Known abilities: Hard skin
Energy: 4.5/10
Energy Regain rate: Slow
Health Status: small injuries, healing.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. 2 protein bars.

I tell her i'm not from here

bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

Name: Jason Brown
Physical description: average height, average weight, smart, crafty/strategist, kind (will give people that deserves it second chances), middle-raced,black hair, dark-brown eyes, muscular build
Stage:1
attribute: (not sure what to put here)
Known abilities: none
Energy:5
Energy regain rate: average
Health status: minor injuries, healing
Equipment: half-empty canteen (broken lid), 2 protein bars

I search the area for food and water

Showing 121-134 of 134