ForumsThe TavernTrack & Field

21 4166
bedauern
bedauern
29 posts
Nomad

Hi.

I'm a 16 year old Junior and I'm trying out for my schools Track & field team. I was going to try out the 100m since this is my first year doing this sport, and I was wondering if any of you knew what kind of shoes I should buy for this event. Please, any information will be helpful! Thank you.

• 21 Replies
Yoshi8521
Yoshi8521
129 posts
Nomad

I'm not exactly sure about what type of shoes you should wear. Maybe just some tennis shoes that you have broken into. I'm sure if you search on the Nike site they would have tons of different types of shoes for anything you can think of. Let me know if this helped! Sorry that I don't have more specifics!

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Are you going to do other events too?

It pretty much depends on how serious you are about the sport. You could just use some tennis shoes like Yoshi said(that is what I did) or you can get some spiked shoes.

bedauern
bedauern
29 posts
Nomad

Hi, sorry for such a late reply, but it turns out that spiked shoes are required for me to enter at the track meets. I'm planning on doing 100, 200 and 400m this year.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Wow, good luck! I did track 2 years in middle school, took a break Freshman year, did cross country last semester, and started up long distance track a little while ago. I would recommend buying whatever feels the best on your foot (obviously). There is a store a few miles from my house where they have a treadmill set up with a camera and a program that analyzes your gait and can help you pick out the best shoe. I ended up with a pair of Adidas spikes (Cross country) and will probably use those for track. Before that, I bought some trainers to build up my endurance and speed. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you picked a pair up yourself. Hope that helped

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

If you're just staying at the 100, 200, and 400 then I would suggest getting some sprinting spikes. However, if you're not too sure about what events to do I would get some long-distance spikes with more support in them. These will also work fine with shorter races, but with the sprinting spikes they don't work well in the longer races because of the lack of support. I do distance and have distance spikes.

bedauern
bedauern
29 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the help! I know what shoes I'm going to get now. Do any of you know how to cure shin splints? I have it on both my legs and it hurts a lot. :/

bedauern
bedauern
29 posts
Nomad

The shoes I'm getting. Love the colors because they're my school colors as well haha. Black red and white.

http://www.firsttothefinish.com/ItemMatrix.asp?Cc=fw_foot_sprint&GroupCode=429931-006C&eq=fw_429931006C&MatrixType=1

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Hey cool, nice shoes
As for the shin splints, I'm pretty sure all you can do is stretch and ice if they are really bad. Also, if you get any bad pains in your knees, I would suggest going to the trainer (sports' nurse if you didn't know) and getting some bands...they'll know what to do if you ask them.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Thanks for the help! I know what shoes I'm going to get now. Do any of you know how to cure shin splints? I have it on both my legs and it hurts a lot. :/

A good way to prevent them is to walk backwards after a workout to start using different muscles. Also really try to stretch after a run.
RyanNC
RyanNC
53 posts
Shepherd

Yeah spikes are really good for the track but I wouldn't try to run with them on a trail or something because you will feel every rock, root, and bump so it probably wouldn't help your shin splints. For the shin splints try doing squats and talking to a trainer of another sports medicine person.

Remember to do dynamic stretching before and static stretching after exercising!!

bedauern
bedauern
29 posts
Nomad

My shin splints may have caused me to have stress fractures, I might have to go to a doctor and get this checked now, because it may be a hairline fracture. Looks like I'm not going to be able to compete in my first meet this Saturday. :/

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Wow I feel really sorry for you. Hope you get better.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Doing the 400 the first year? good luck. It's one of the hardest events.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

sorry for the DP but as for the shin splints, before you run like when you are stretching, do a duck-walk (walk around on your heels). It warms up the muscles in your shins (yes there are muscles in your shin), but if you have a fracture, then that's not shin splints.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

It's one of the hardest events.

Um I'm pretty sure 3200, 1600, and 800 are much tougher.
Showing 1-15 of 21