ForumsThe TavernTrack & Field

21 4164
bedauern
bedauern
29 posts
Nomad

Hi.

I'm a 16 year old Junior and I'm trying out for my schools Track & field team. I was going to try out the 100m since this is my first year doing this sport, and I was wondering if any of you knew what kind of shoes I should buy for this event. Please, any information will be helpful! Thank you.

• 21 Replies
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Um I'm pretty sure 3200, 1600, and 800 are much tougher.

depends. In lower levels of competition, the 400 is one of the longest races that is pretty much a sprint the whole way, but as competition gets tougher people "sprint" longer and longer distances
Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

Well im doing the 400 one and I'm 15 and I practice 1 hour every day Sunday-Saturday jogging and running and speed walking when I need to catch my breath.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Um I'm pretty sure 3200, 1600, and 800 are much tougher.

Well, those are longer (I run them), but not necessarily harder. The 400 is the mix between speed and distance and that combination makes it a really tricky one.
Distance practices tend to be harder though (I run distance and attended a few of the sprinter work-outs).
XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

this is my second year doing track and im almost sure the 800 is the hardest race. When i run the 400 its pretty much a full sprint the whole time, and its like killing yourself for a minute. While the 800 is a controlled sprint and it requires you to kill yourself you over two minutes.

My best 800 time is 2:06 and after that i fell on the ground and didn't want to move, haha

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

^Wow, you beat me lol. My pb is 2:39 I think. Although, for my first year of track at the high school (I did 2 years of track in middle school and cross country last fall), I have come a long way. My first few 800's started off in the 2:50 range, but in one season I already shaved it by 11 seconds. After that, my coach had me run the mile at a Thursday home meet; I got a 5:47, which is 43-45 seconds off of my mile that I ran at the end of cross country (6:30). It's a pretty big difference and with more hard work and dedication, I'm hoping to see even better times by the time I reach varsity (technically in cross country summer training when I become a Junior).

Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,124 posts
Blacksmith

Track & Field... Fun times, as far as running goes, I never participated in the "dashes", but a lot of my friends did and I watched a lot of events. I was more into the Field stuff though. Shot put, discus, javelin, etc... But nonetheless, I think all the events are great.

Most schools don't really care much for the Track & Field teams, due to having, "more important," sports. Football, baseball, basketball, etc... In my opinion, Track & Field require more dedication and training than any other sport out there and I've played quite a few sports throughout high school. Stick with it, you'll enjoy it. I wish I would have participated this year, as it's my final year, but it conflicted with my JROTC class.

A few tips I've heard from former track friends are, work on your take off from the starting blocks. It's all technique there.

Next is just endurance, stride, and stamina, which takes time and dedication.

As far as shoes go, it's really opinionated. In the case of running, I'd just go try a bunch and see what's comfortable to you. If you're not comfortable, you're not gonna perform at your best.

Showing 16-21 of 21