ForumsThe Tavern[necro]Latin. Yes or No?

21 4326
Cardibard
Cardibard
2,025 posts
Nomad

If you had the choice to learn latin, for free, either in high school, college, or even at work. Would you learn it? Yes or No? Explain why or why not?

• 21 Replies
LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

No, simply because no one even speaks Latin anymore. If i was living in Rome about 2030 years ago, then yes.

KhaoticSniper
KhaoticSniper
210 posts
Nomad

Yes, Cause it is a Good Language to learn Although no one speaks it, it is still good to learn it for free,
and @LucasDaLegend there are some people that can speak Latin i know one guy (a fried of my dads)

Syrenia
Syrenia
1 posts
Nomad

Absolutely. I'm a medical student, i use latin on my lessons and career. Also latin is so cool language, i like to speak it. And its free? OMG

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Why not? I would like to enjoy some of the classic texts as they were, unspoiled by translations.

Plus I mean.....free?

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

I would. Just confuse people when you start speaking it.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Yes I would if it was for free and it didn't make me choose between it and a different class. It would be cool.

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

I don't know about Latin,but I can do pig Latin.
ellohay, ymay amenay siay aunbardfay. Hatway siay uoryay amenay¿

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Yes, have a better understanding of languages.

I'd prefer taking Latin to English courses.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

The only reason I would learn it is so I could look at other languages and go 'O, this word comes from this'. Other then that I don't see the point in taking it.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'd love it and also learn ancient Greek so I could read old text from the Roman and Greek writers and historians.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I'd like to learn latin. I use it often in sayings, but I don't have a full grasp of the language. It'd be fun to spout latin sayings or listen in on conversations that the speakers think can't be understood.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Very few people use Latin for anything anymore, other than on Jeopardy. Other languages would be more useful, like Spanish or Mandarin.

TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Well, I'm just about to start my fourth year of Latin tomorrow. (New semester is just starting)

It really depends on how you do in the course and how good the teacher is, as well as how good the course is. If you BS the whole thing, then you won't remember anything and the whole thing is wasted.
If the course was better, then Latin could be extremely useful for learning various languages, medicine, law, and other applications. As for now though, from using the Ecce Romani textbooks, I haven't really learned anything of use. I learned the word fishpond before I learned how to say hello.

So basically, unless a new textbook comes out for Latin students...don't take it. You can just as easily learn Latin roots by looking up "Latin Roots" on Google or by taking Spanish or Italian or something.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Yes: I took a year of it, and its really helped me. I've got a heads up on everybody else in my Spanish class, because I'm already familliar with noun genders and conjugations. Then the prefixes and vocabulary help with the SAT words.

It sucks, but I really wish I had payed far more attention to it because in hind sight, its actually reall interesting. Granted, when you have a class for an hour and a half at the end of the day, its rather hard not to fall asleep.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Latin is awesome. I took 4 years of it and bombed the AP Latin test. In my defense, I was sick, and had AP English the same day. I feel like I would have gotten a 2 if all my faculties were in order.

But Latin is really cool. You don't learn it to talk to people. You learn it because it makes you better. Made me better. Imagine if you applied yourself! It could make you way better! I wouldn't know, obviously.

Even though I no longer take Latin, I poke through my copy of the Aeneid every once in a while, just to see if I can still do it. I can't do it nearly as well, from letting it deteriorate, but it makes me feel better.

Showing 1-15 of 21